I'm experimenting with a tool that takes Godot scenes, processes them and writes back a generated scene. It is a python process that currently loads and writes .tscn files:
In my first test, this is the input:
And the generated scene, including polygons and static bodies with colliders:
I might keep working on it: this approach allows to automaticlally generate colliders, add props or details, lights, occluders, etc... But the possibilities are many:
- Generating rooms for 2D games: caves, buildings, mazes, rooms...
- Generating 2D polygon based levels or tilemaps
- Augment levels with props, foreground, backgrounds, instances of scenes
- Analysing depth and generating normal maps
- Transform data from other sources and incorporate them into scenes
I plan to release this stuff by the end of the year.