Talk about anything

shsh2xshsh2x Posts: 14Member

Hiiiii!❤♡♡❤❤

Comments

• shsh2xshsh2x Posts: 14Member

Hey guys

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 5,318Moderator

Hey there! While we can have general chat in the forum, it helps if the thread has some focus or a premise. If you want to chat about something, start the thread with an idea or post something that will help spark a conversation. Just saying "Hi" is unlikely to illicit much response.

• Erich_LErich_L Posts: 699Member

Finally a place where we can talk about anything. All I want to do is work on my game but I need to finish my research work. Please help if you can: https://godotforums.org/discussion/28153/range-lerp-to-curve

• fire7sidefire7side Posts: 864Member
    edited November 2021

Has anyone watched Wheel of Time on Amazon? I thought it was pretty good. The only thing I didn't like much was Mat. He's kind of a goofy character in the book and he was pretty serious in the movie. I saw this one article and they said people that read the books are kind of upset and they might not make more than two years worth, which would be a shame. I'll have to wait till they show all of the rest of them for this year and then subscribe to Amazon Prime for a month and watch them. Amazon kind of wised up, they used to give me two months free and then I'd cancel. Now I have to pay for the first week -- 2 dollars, and I'll have to subscribe for a month later for whatever their rate is.

I'm obsessed with Google Stadia. They have a Black Friday promo for a few days, if you buy a game for $30 or more, you get a free Stadia controller and Chromecast (US only). Also, you just want to buy the controller, it is on sale for like $20. Definitely worth checking out, especially if you have an older computer or want to play games on a TV.

https://www.androidheadlines.com/2021/11/google-stadia-black-friday-sale-discounted-games-cloud-gaming.html

@cybereality said:
    I'm obsessed with Google Stadia.

That sounds like a pretty good way to do it, unfortunately, my connection doesn't make minimum requirements. Trouble with living in the country. I could get a better connection, but it's too expensive. I think I'm around 600 k per second. It's still enough to do most things. I can watch videos sometimes at 1080 p, otherwise at 720p. There's so few games I play anyway. I don't really like shooters and rpg's have too much repetitive fighting. I get hidden object games on drastic sales for about a dollar a piece or something. Play a lot of scrabble on my tablet, and fool around with a few free games off and on.

Yeah, you do need a good internet. Around 50Mbps for 1080p.

Hey guys

@Erich_L said:
    Finally a place where we can talk about anything. All I want to do is work on my game but I need to finish my research work. Please help if you can: https://godotforums.org/discussion/28153/range-lerp-to-curve

Talk about anything!

@fire7side said:
    Has anyone watched Wheel of Time on Amazon? I thought it was pretty good. The only thing I didn't like much was Mat. He's kind of a goofy character in the book and he was pretty serious in the movie. I saw this one article and they said people that read the books are kind of upset and they might not make more than two years worth, which would be a shame. I'll have to wait till they show all of the rest of them for this year and then subscribe to Amazon Prime for a month and watch them. Amazon kind of wised up, they used to give me two months free and then I'd cancel. Now I have to pay for the first week -- 2 dollars, and I'll have to subscribe for a month later for whatever their rate is.

Is it a series?

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 4,803Admin

It has been a long time since we've had a lounge topic I guess.

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 5,344Admin

As long as the conversations do not break forum rules, then I'm fine with this being a lounge/anything topic.

I don't have too much to add, other than working on lots of projects and other stuff behind the scenes, but nothing is at the point where I can show it :lol:

edited November 2021

@shsh2x said:

Is it a series?

Yes, it's sort of like Game of Thrones, but not quite as dark and over sexualized. It comes out every Friday on Amazon Prime video and it's based on the book series Wheel of Time written by Robert Jordan quite a while ago. I read all the books, but it's been a long time. I think it was a series of 13 books or something that had to be finished by another author because Jordan got some kind of cancer if I recall correctly. The gist of it is there is a magic that can be accessed by both men and women, but the magic on the man side is tainted and causes insanity, but supposedly one person will come along and fix it and all these dark forces try to keep it from happening. The women are more or less in charge and hunt down the men who use it, but are still looking for the one who can fix it. There is a group of men that hunt down the women, too.

@TwistedTwigleg said:
    I don't have too much to add, other than working on lots of projects and other stuff behind the scenes, but nothing is at the point where I can show it :lol:

You have something you could show and you know it. Come onnnnn blow us away!

This is what I've been working on.

I'm going to release a demo, but I want to make real art first. I have the design down, just need to model and texture the objects, probably take me a few weeks.

@fire7side said:

@shsh2x said:

Is it a series?

Yes, it's sort of like Game of Thrones, but not quite as dark and over sexualized. It comes out every Friday on Amazon Prime video and it's based on the book series Wheel of Time written by Robert Jordan quite a while ago. I read all the books, but it's been a long time. I think it was a series of 13 books or something that had to be finished by another author because Jordan got some kind of cancer if I recall correctly. The gist of it is there is a magic that can be accessed by both men and women, but the magic on the man side is tainted and causes insanity, but supposedly one person will come along and fix it and all these dark forces try to keep it from happening. The women are more or less in charge and hunt down the men who use it, but are still looking for the one who can fix it. There is a group of men that hunt down the women, too.

Oh nice! Is it on prime video, Netflix?

@TwistedTwigleg said:
    As long as the conversations do not break forum rules, then I'm fine with this being a lounge/anything topic.

Oh yay lmao 🤣

@Megalomaniak said:

Well, there's one now as administrator said yes 🤣🤣🥳

@shsh2x said:
    Oh nice! Is it on prime video, Netflix?

It's just on Prime Video.

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 5,344Admin

@Erich_L said:

@TwistedTwigleg said:

You have something you could show and you know it. Come onnnnn blow us away!

Well, it's not really something to show per say, but I have recently released a Wren module for Godot. It isn't fully working, but I wanted to release it as a reference for anyone looking to add Wren support in Godot. I was evaluating Wren for real-time code compiling and running in Godot, but after trying several C++ embedded programming languages, I decided to use AngelScript instead.

The project that I have planned for AngelScript isn't ready for showing yet though, its still in the very early stages :smile:

@shsh2x said:

@Megalomaniak said:

Well, there's one now as administrator said yes 🤣🤣🥳

I was just stating that if rules were followed, I was fine with it. That doesn't necessarily mean I'm saying "yes" but rather I'm saying "I (individually) do not have an issue with it so long as rules are followed".

• DaveTheCoderDaveTheCoder Posts: 881Member

I have two questions:

1. One of my cats, who is 13-1/2 years old, has apparently stopped grooming himself, and has numerous clumps of matted fur. Brushing him doesn't remove the clumps, and he squirms and complains when I try to use a mat-remover or scissors. Any tips?

2. Do you ever have dreams or nightmares about games?

@TwistedTwigleg Looking up wren, they describe it as "Think Smalltalk in a Lua-sized package with a dash of Erlang and wrapped up in a familiar, modern syntax." I didn't understand that sentence starting with the first word. Blown, away! I really ought to get back into C++.
    It must be tough to know so much programming, before you can ever get halfway through making a game you probably feel a need to invent a handful of low level tools.

• OpinionatedGamerOpinionatedGamer Posts: 248Member

Why are old Ps2 games so good?

@OpinionatedGamer said:
    Why are old Ps2 games so good?

Some of that is probably nostalgia. We remember things better than they actually were. Sometimes I try to play old games and they definitely are not that great. It depends though. Shadowrun on Super Nintendo was the best game ever (and the Genesis version was pretty good too). Played them last year and finally beat them and had a great time.

• xyzxyz Posts: 940Member

@Erich_L said:
    It must be tough to know so much programming, before you can ever get halfway through making a game you probably feel a need to invent a handful of low level tools.

A lot of game dev soloists prefer programming and technical problem solving over actually designing a game. Playable systems or narratives design is an entirely different beast. It requires affinities separate from the ones needed for software development. Such people will naturally gravitate towards making tools, engines and demos rather than completing an actual game. And this is perfectly fine as their efforts produce great tools like Godot :)

@DaveTheCoder I don't know much about cat clumping. I'll hereby submit something antithetical to cats - a picture of our beloved budgie

He sadly went missing recently, under dubious circumstances. People we trusted to take proper care of him while we were away for a day - didn't do so :(

As for nightmares, my worst and practically only recurring one is about still studying in the university and missing the last deadline for submitting some paperwork essential to progress to the next year. Sounds meh, but the sense of dread in this dream is enormous. I sometimes have dreams in form of first-person slasher horror carnage, but that's somewhat pleasant, and doesn't feel nightmarish at all. Often such a dream has retro looking "graphics", like old Silent Hill games or Quake 1.

@DaveTheCoder said:
    I have two questions:

1. One of my cats, who is 13-1/2 years old, has apparently stopped grooming himself, and has numerous clumps of matted fur. Brushing him doesn't remove the clumps, and he squirms and complains when I try to use a mat-remover or scissors. Any tips?

I'm going through the exact same thing with my dog. I'm going to wait till spring and shave him. He looks horrible and I'm afraid someone will think I'm mistreating him but he won't let me pull an undercoat brush through him anymore. He lets me use a scissors, but he looks all chopped and frizzy. I'd shave him right now, but it gets really cold where I live and he goes for walks with me all winter.

I've gotten nightmares from movies in the past but not games.

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 4,803Admin

@DaveTheCoder said:
    I have two questions:

I'd probably opt to visit the vet with that one. But for our old furball we used to go with the scissor work firmly and carefully. I do think he after a while learned to understand what the benefit was.

• BimbamBimbam Posts: 310Member
    edited November 2021

@DaveTheCoder said:

Back in the day when I was big into FF11 (Maat's cap during 75 cap kinda hours spent playing it, you'll know if you know), I was part of a "lowman" linkshell. The premise of this is you take a boss that would normally take 12-18 people to kill, and you do it with 3-6. The obvious problem being this takes somewhat longer and a lot more focus.

After a ~4 hour straight battle dual-boxing (running 2 characters on 2 accounts simultaneously and alt-tabbing between them) where 3 players (on 5 accounts) defeated Kirin....yes. I've had nightmares about games.

• Vale-gitVale-git Posts: 239Member

@cybereality said:
    Hey there! While we can have general chat in the forum, it helps if the thread has some focus or a premise. If you want to chat about something, start the thread with an idea or post something that will help spark a conversation. Just saying "Hi" is unlikely to illicit much response.

Agree, But you know, login and intellect isn't for everyone. We have to accept the reality; humanity is like a caveman with a gun .

• DeanOrToriDeanOrTori Posts: 73Member

@xyz
    I'm sorry to hear about your budgie.

off topic, but my dad used to have budgies. Our last one got sick (as far as i can remember), and he didn't get another after that. ended up working out cuz we adopted a stray cat* but still. i know he loves budgies, and they make me think of him

*we asked neighbors and checked for micro chip before claiming her. but (Who we think) the old owners were moved, and they never came back or left any way to get in contact with them