odd behavior with button group in instanced scenes.

dotteddotted Posts: 347Member

I create a UI scene that uses button groups. I wire it up and add the resources as an exported variable.

Works as expected.

But when I instance this scene as a child scene in another, this export is empty in the owning scene.

Why?

Tags :

Best Answer

• dotteddotted Posts: 347
    edited January 15 Accepted Answer

The buttons and groups are all assigned statically in each scene. Again this only happens for the (instanced) scenes which are invisible in a tab container. The first tab and the visible one is fine.

I've resolved the issue by adding a null ptr check on the value returned by get_selected_button() since refreshing the scene for other reasons is called when its visible changes in the container.

var button  = grid_type.get_pressed_button()
        if button:

I will note that my mind is bent a little because the editor keeps resetting the instance scene settings to a default button group with the option to revert to the ones set by that scene without me touching the properties from the (tab container) instancing scene.

Answers

• dotteddotted Posts: 347Member

On top of this the editor often resets button group resources to a default entry with a 'revert' that goes back to the resource I set

Best I can figure, util the buttons which are children nodes in the instanced scene must be instanced first before the button group returns a selected button.

but this doesn't happen when the scene itself is made the project target

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 5,251Admin

Does the issue only occur in the editor? In other words, it's not a script that is trying to set the button group? If it's all done through the editor, it sounds like it could potentially be a bug in the loading/timing of buttons when loading scenes.

Does the buttons get added to the group after _ready? Maybe if you add something like yield(get_tree(), "idle_frame") before getting the button group it would (for testing at least) work?

edited January 15 Accepted Answer

The buttons and groups are all assigned statically in each scene. Again this only happens for the (instanced) scenes which are invisible in a tab container. The first tab and the visible one is fine.

I've resolved the issue by adding a null ptr check on the value returned by get_selected_button() since refreshing the scene for other reasons is called when its visible changes in the container.

var button  = grid_type.get_pressed_button()
        if button:

I will note that my mind is bent a little because the editor keeps resetting the instance scene settings to a default button group with the option to revert to the ones set by that scene without me touching the properties from the (tab container) instancing scene.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file