Ella : a study in realism

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 5,317Moderator

Ella's now number 2 on Itch for games made with Godot. Let's get her to number 1.

• jbskaggsjbskaggs Posts: 909Member

FYI. if I just type in Godot your other two projects are #2 and #3 Good job on those as well.

If I type in 'made in Godot' Decay pops up number one- but Im not seeing Ella in results.

@cybereality said:
    I got Mongolian beef chow mein and xiao long bao. Totally not on my diet but worth it.

You deserved it!

So if you just click new and popular, no tags or filters, Ella is above the fold. Done in an incognito window to be sure there isn't some algorithm showing me different results.

So that Made with Godot is not a search term, it's a special page but I'm not sure how you navigate to it on the website without using Google.
    https://itch.io/games/made-with-godot

AH- but with that said your other games are already on that list. I sure this one will be soon as well. Itch needs to add a made with tag for various engines. The only game engine tags I see are GM and Unity.

Yeah, it might just take a moment, the demo just came out 2 days ago. Now that it's in the popular pages, though, I'm seeing more people click on it.

Downloaded it and ran on my 10 year old win 10 desk top. AMD 3.5 ghz, 12 gb ram, nvidia geforce ran Ella at ultra settings and got perfect 60 fps. Loved how I could zoom in on all the books and stuff. Will show this to my wife morrow, she already saw the youtube video but this this was pretty smooth realtime game play.

edited January 16

Thanks. I'm glad you liked it, and I'd be interested to hear what your wife thinks.

Ella is now #1 (well, for relaxing games, at least).

Also top 10 for a bunch of other tags. This has been amazing.

My wife says its awesome- but you need a dog or cat. Preferably border collie.

I just pushed what may be the final update for Ella (1.1.5). This tweaks the color saturation and ambient occlusion. However, if you only played the original build, you should update, because there have been tons of little improvements since then. https://cybereality.itch.io/ella-a-study-in-realism

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 4,803Admin

Oh yeah, that latest screenshot here definitely looks the best to me by far.

Thanks. Yes, it's sort of subtle. I was changing values at like 0.01 increments. So it looks almost the same, but the whole render I think is improved. But I showed it to my brother and he couldn't tell the difference. Also, after I released, I did a lot more testing on my other computers and the color and contrast can look very different depending on your monitor. So I had to tweak things so they look better on a variety of systems, as my development machine does not have a studio monitor and I don't think the colors are accurate.

This is the final cut for Ella. Includes all patches from the last week and recorded at 1440p Performance settings. I also redid all the promo material on Itchio and I think it looks a lot better. Definitely give it a go if you haven't seen Ella yet.

https://cybereality.itch.io/ella-a-study-in-realism

"Dat eez one gerd jerbz yer herv dun dere! Gerd verk!" The Swedish Chef.

Seriously my friend good job.

I think people are getting sick of Ella. I posted that video on Reddit and it got 0 votes. Whatever, the demo is completely done, so it is what it is. I won't be spamming anymore. Just got my Steam developer account approved, so I'm setting up pages for Decay and Ella now. Should take a few weeks to go through the review process. I'm guessing there is a much bigger audience on Steam. Even being top 10 on Itch isn't getting me the downloads I was hoping for.

A more important question is why did you write these? If they make you happy and you developed your skillsets more by making them then they are a success.

Years back I was reading an interview with a best selling author . He described his life's work like this:

When he was unpublished he was depressed he couldnt finish a novel.

When he finished his novel he was depressed it wasnt published.

When he published it he was depressed it wasnt a best seller.

When he published a best seller he was depressed it wasnt a movie.

When he had a movie made he was depressed it wasnt no 1 in the box office.

When it was number 1 in box office he was just depressed.

The whole time he said never enjoyed the process and wish he had done anything else for a living.

So if you enjoyed making it that is all that matters. Because happiness in life is as it happens not someday when it happens. You'll get the numbers one day, until then be happy with now.

Oh yeah, definitely. I mean, it has been a big success IMO. And I had fun making it and people like it. It was sort of a test anyhow, to see if I had the skill and to see if Godot was capable. Both of which worked out. But the other part of it was showing the development community what Godot could do, which so far I'm not sure has happened. As far as I can tell (from the analytics) most of the downloads are from people in the Godot community, which is awesome, yes, but I was hoping to reach a more general audience.

Not necessarily to convince people to switch from Unity/Unreal, cause I think that is silly. Just use whatever tool you are comfortable with. But there are a lot of starting developers or aspiring developers that I was hoping to show Godot to. Cause I had the same experience. I originally downloaded Godot back in 2017, I believe, and the demo I tried was broken and I thought the engine sucked. But there was nothing wrong with Godot, it was just a poorly coded demo. So I want people to see that Godot is right up there with anything, at least it terms of what you can realistically accomplish as a solo indie dev, it's more than enough. But maybe it will still happen, it's only been a week.

Ah that makes more sense to your motivation then!

People for the most part today are more insulated than ever before. They live in echo chambers and the algorithms only feed them what they have already consumed. So getting something new before people today is really hard.

But I promise there was dev companies that saw your piece on Gamesfromscratch and it sparked some interest. Unity has become difficult to use. And unreal is 40% owned by aggressive company dev's are trying to get away from. Godot's day is coming and your work will be part of helping that happen.

Thank you. Yes, the Game From Scratch video was about the best I could hope for, and was the audience I wanted. The video got like 15k views, but not many people actually clicked the link (a little over 1,000). That's still pretty good, and the indie developer community is not that huge I guess, so it's okay. And hopefully as new people find out about Godot and search for content, they will find my videos and the demos.

I'm also making some good progress with setting up the Steam pages, I have Decay almost done and it's looking pretty good. I should be able to finish it tonight and do Ella. So that will be set for a February release, I think it might be pretty big if it picks up on Steam.

Good!

Steam's algorithm pushes apps and games for a few days upon release then the game drops back in random shuffle. So expect traffic from Steam's efforts only first few days, then after that it will be based on tags, and relevance to customer's purchase history. It can be a huge push in traffic those first few days though. And steam almost always beats itch on traffic.

You might find this interesting:

https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/b8ewc8/first_week_on_steam_vs_1_year_on_itchio/

Thanks for the link. Yeah, that confirms what I suspected.

Ella and Decay have been submitted to Steam. It took about 2 days to fill out a bazillion forms and images, but it's all done. The store pages look great, but I don't think I can share screenshots. Valve says it takes about 3 days to get reviewed, then I will have a coming soon page up until mid February so I can get some wishlists. I love Itch and all the weird stuff there, but I think they are rather small compared to Steam. So hopefully this will reach a broader audience.

Ella's been updated to the new Godot Super Scaling algorithm.
    https://cybereality.itch.io/ella-a-study-in-realism

Today's the day. Ella is out on Steam! A Godot Engine graphics demo featuring photogrammetry and real time global illumination in Godot 3.x. It's totally free so definitely give it a try and see what Godot can do for photo realistic graphics in games.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1882590/Ella__a_study_in_realism/

• MaaackMaaack Posts: 28Member

Congrats! Forgot to post earlier, but I tried running the itch.io version on my Linux laptop last week. After loading for about 5-10 minutes, it ran decently for a couple of minutes, then froze. Fortunately, the laptop did not catch fire, and it looked great while it worked!

Thanks for checking it out. Can you share the specs on your laptop?

• MaaackMaaack Posts: 28Member

It's a gaming laptop from 2016. It's probably time I upgrade.

Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz × 8
    GeForce GTX 970M/PCIe/SSE2
    15.6 GiB Memory
    Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS 64-bit

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file