[Godot - Asteroid Game For Complete Beginners] is now published!

Yiannis128Yiannis128 Posts: 21Member

Hi everyone!

My Godot series for complete beginners is now complete, it's 5 articles detailing how to make an asteroids style game in Godot. It is designed for complete beginners that would like to get into gamedev and Godot. A lot of details are skipped/simplified for that reason.

It is available on my website:

• Part 1: Basics of the Godot editor.
  • Part 2: Basics of GDScript and programming in Godot.
  • Part 3: Shooting and breaking the asteroids.
  • Part 4: Spawning new asteroids and targeting the player.
  • Part 5: Making the UI for the game.

I tried following the feedback given to me in previous posts (back when these articles were being written), one point I had difficulty with was trying to simplify it enough for complete beginners to understand, I have decided that the best way to account for that is to create a YouTube series and upload it on each article page, so if someone gets stuck, they can refer to the series.

There are probably some spelling mistakes that I will be correcting in the upcoming days. I had to get this out since it was in development since start of October and I was aiming for it to be complete before 2022. But better late than never :)

If you have any feedback, post it below!

Tags :

Comments

• Yiannis128Yiannis128 Posts: 21Member

Also, I would like to ask, do you people know any places I can share this to?

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 5,251Admin

@Yiannis128 said:
    Also, I would like to ask, do you people know any places I can share this to?

A few places I could see sharing is on Twitter (using #GodotEngine), the Godot Reddit, the Godot Facebook, and maybe the Godot Discord. You will want to check the rules for the Reddit, Facebook, and Discord communities though, as I'm not sure if they have restrictions/rules around posting tutorials and similar content. There might also be more general game development communities (similar tor/gamedev) that may help with posting as well, though again, you will want to check the rules before posting.

• The OddlerThe Oddler Posts: 8Member

I just started the second part, created a new script, and started editing. The tutorial says there will only be a single function _ready, but on my end I get this:

Not a problem for me, as I'm used to code, but might be confusing for newcomers.

I'm on godot v4.0.dev.calinou [5a61822d7]

• The OddlerThe Oddler Posts: 8Member

More comment about part 2:

1. The script first creates a turn_speed variable of type float, but then assigns it to a variable (move_dir) of type int.
    2. The comments are incorrect, one says "If left is pressed, then move direction will be set to -1" but instead it shows assigning move_dir = -turn_speed
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 3,792Moderator

Looking good. One suggestion, add the final image of the game on this page, it looks boring right now.

edited January 10

Twitter is probably the best for promotion. You can use these tags:

#godotengine #godot #madewithgodot #gamedev #gamedevelopment

Also here on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/godot/

edited January 11

@cybereality said:
    Looking good. One suggestion, add the final image of the game on this page, it looks boring right now.

Something like this?

Haven't made it live yet, gonna do it sometime today.

edited January 11

Yes. But I would put the text below the image so it can be larger.

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 4,430Admin

@cybereality I think you mean 'put image above the Title and make the image larger'. To me it read as place the title below the image to make the title larger'.

Or do you mean make the image span the width and the links text also larger? That might make the most sense I suppose.

• GowydotGowydot Posts: 107Member

I think It has good info and simple explanation but a lot of texts make it specifically for beginner who really want to learn all the details the first time, which is very rare I guess.

Also the color scheme is not very modern, it reminds me of high school science text book. Maybe you can also have bigger space btween text lines, for easier reading.

The title is fine. I meant the text links for the tutorial. They are too small and I can't read them.

@Gowydot said:
    I think It has good info and simple explanation but a lot of texts make it specifically for beginner who really want to learn all the details the first time, which is very rare I guess.

Also the color scheme is not very modern, it reminds me of high school science text book. Maybe you can also have bigger space btween text lines, for easier reading.

Hi, if there's a problem with the color scheme/style for the website, what would you suggest? I've been tweaking the style for the past year so it has been getting incrementally better, but if you have any advice then please tell me.

• GowydotGowydot Posts: 107Member

It's all about readbility on different screen sizes nowadays, so maybe some easy-on-the eyes dark pastels and very light gray or white background, some gradients for deco, huge images that scalable on phone..etc. If you compare your text to this site, it looks a bit "busier" so go for grey instead of black text, more text spaces, better font style would help fix that.

But seriously I'd just choose a prebuilt modern theme (if using Wordpress) then I can just forget about doing all that and concentrate only on contents and images.

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 4,430Admin

@Yiannis128 said:

Hi, if there's a problem with the color scheme/style for the website, what would you suggest?

A generic response of linkspam coming in:
    https://suckless.org/sucks/web/
    http://www.awayback.com/index.php/2010/02/03/revised-font-stack/
    https://contrastrebellion.com/

Actually that isn't a long list, but it should be a good start. In fact the 2 latter links come via one of the links on the first linked site(warning tho, features some uhh, explicit language and was specifically written to vehemently address a certain kind of professional web designers).