Talk about anything

Comments

• DaveTheCoderDaveTheCoder Posts: 881Member
    edited December 2021

I'm doing my part by developing a game with a hidden political message. Or maybe I'm not, since I will deny it if a user asks. :smirk:

• jbskaggsjbskaggs Posts: 909Member

You doing your part? https://youtu.be/-_7FaWnlhS4

What engine was "Paper's Please" written in? That was a brilliant simple game.

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 4,803Admin
    edited December 2021

@jbskaggs said:
    What engine was "Paper's Please" written in? That was a brilliant simple game.

https://papersplease.fandom.com/wiki/Game_development

Papers, Please uses the OpenFL engine (formerly HaxeNME)

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 5,318Moderator

In general people don't mess with me. I guess cause I grew up in New York City in the 80's and 90's so I feel like I can live anywhere now and I'm not scared.

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 5,344Admin
    edited December 2021

Just a reminder: Let’s try to keep the discussion away from potentially heated topics. While it’s not necessarily an issue right now, I don’t want the thread to escalate into something that leads to hurt feelings and/or heated arguments down the road.

Yeah, good point. The thread was to talk about anything, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

• fire7sidefire7side Posts: 864Member

@jbskaggs said:

I disagree. If I come across a person hurting someone I think it is "good" to protect the victim- may not be "wise" though. But in many areas the police wont come if you call. Example in chicago a woman was gang raped for three hours on a train. Bystanders just filmed it, police did not show for hours. Every one of those bystanders are guilty of her rape in my opinion.

Oh, yeah, there is a time where you have to do what you can if someone is being threatened. I just meant stuff like stealing or whatever, where you might not be sure that they did it or not. I've never been in a situation like that and hope I never am. I'd hate to be outnumbered and not have a weapon in a situation like that. I imagine those people were just afraid. If it was just one guy, you'd have a good chance. If it was a gang and you don't have a weapon, good luck. Hard to say what their motive was for filming it, maybe to identify the criminal. A situation like that is really brazen. Usually they wait to get someone alone unless it's a crime of passion which is the most likely and then you don't know who is who. I think I read about that one. If it's just one guy and he's in the act, the chances of surprising him would be really good. I'm pretty sure I would have done something, but I would have been careful and made sure it was successful. Course, you don't know what you will do till it happens.

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 4,803Admin

@cybereality said:
    Yeah, good point. The thread was to talk about anything, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Anything, so long as it doesn't go against the forum rules, naturally.

• Erich_LErich_L Posts: 699Member

I’ve been working my (not a swear word) off trying to consume as much dev knowledge as I can so I can move back to the states (Washington state). The news makes it seem awful, this doesn’t help either haha. But I’m sure by the time China is strong enough to bully the US, I mean really bully, it’ll scare the people of the US into being less divided. Wait, am I sure of that? Actually I’m not. Crap.

Many developers are fleeing Washington state for TX and UT. Adobe, Texas Intruments, and others are like 1 mile from my house here in Utah.

• fire7sidefire7side Posts: 864Member

@Erich_L said:
    I’ve been working my (not a swear word) off trying to consume as much dev knowledge as I can so I can move back to the states (Washington state). The news makes it seem awful, this doesn’t help either haha. But I’m sure by the time China is strong enough to bully the US, I mean really bully, it’ll scare the people of the US into being less divided. Wait, am I sure of that? Actually I’m not. Crap.

I think what will make it less divided is when they realize the overspending from both sides is causing massive inflation. Both sides need to lighten up that's for sure. The news just makes everything worse by taking sides like they started doing and exaggerating everything. China is a problem for Europe and the US. We can't have service based economies because it doesn't work. The minimum corporate tax agreement was a start. We have to have minimum wage agreements and pollution standards in the WTO, or much better ones and in a hurry. If we don't, things are going to get much worse. Maybe they can't do it for all their companies, but those that can't should be excluded.

• DaveTheCoderDaveTheCoder Posts: 881Member

If private ownership of nuclear weapons were legal, it would solve a lot of problems.

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 5,344Admin

Again, let's try to keep the topic away from heated and controversial topics. Topics about countries and their relationships with one another, military, law, policing and police forces, politics, world economy, etc, are not really discussions suited for the Godot Community Forums. These are really big topics and subjects that people often feel very strongly about, and the last thing I'd want is for this thread to go off rails and lead to hurt.
    Let's keep the thread away from these topics. Thanks!

• ZeltaZelta Posts: 249Member

my old pc really appreciates the speed/optimization of cycles now.

But this button ... THANK GOD

• some_lame_kidsome_lame_kid Posts: 179Member

@DaveTheCoder said:
    I'm doing my part by developing a game with a hidden political message. Or maybe I'm not, since I will deny it if a user asks. :smirk:

Perfectly fine. Impressive craft is well and good but as an artistic form, it is empty without passable wisdom. When bloodshed is not an option to spread an ideal or truth, it is done through the arts.

Autocasting spells is an essential in my opinion in party based rpgs.

I have been playing the Spellforce 3 and really love it. But it loses two stars out of ten for not having autocast for characters. Micromanaging a whole party having to manually target every member's spells and actions with no combat pause is a let down for me. If it had autocast Id rate it 10 out 10.

I know this is the Godot forum, but the new Unreal Engine 5 Matrix demo is friggin' sick! I can't believe it, the graphics look like real life. I tried it on my PS5 and it was the craziest thing I've ever seen. If you don't have a PS5/XSX, then check the 4K video here. Well worth watching at full quality on a 4K TV if you have one.

• OpinionatedGamerOpinionatedGamer Posts: 248Member
    edited December 2021

I've gotten to the point where I really need to figure out my game's design, I've got some basic fps mechanics but now I really need to buckle down and figure out the details, as well as limit the idea enough to make it doable.

any ideas for a fun mechanic to add that wouldn't be too difficult to program?

@OpinionatedGamer said:
    I've gotten to the point where I really need to figure out my game's design, I've got some basic fps mechanics but now I really need to buckle down and figure out the details, as well as limit the idea enough to make it doable.

For an FPS? I like the radial combat /action menu on objects

@cybereality said:
    I know this is the Godot forum, but the new Unreal Engine 5 Matrix demo is friggin' sick! I can't believe it, the graphics look like real life. I tried it on my PS5 and it was the craziest thing I've ever seen. If you don't have a PS5/XSX, then check the 4K video here. Well worth watching at full quality on a 4K TV if you have one.

Thats is impressive graphics. The story does bring up the whole uploading minds discussion. Isaac Arthur does a decent job discussing this:

https://youtu.be/WFIdTo5bdJo

@jbskaggs said:

@OpinionatedGamer said:

Yeah it's an fps. Sounds interesting, could you elaborate? Not entirely positive what you mean.

@OpinionatedGamer said:

@jbskaggs said:

@OpinionatedGamer said:

Yeah it's an fps. Sounds interesting, could you elaborate? Not entirely positive what you mean.

In several games I played if you right click over an object it pulled up a translucent round menu with available actions that could be done. In some actions could be stacked if needed, if you had combat pause. Such as lobbing bombs or spells etc.

• Erich_LErich_L Posts: 699Member

@OpinionatedGamer said:

@jbskaggs said:

@OpinionatedGamer said:

I can give you more game ideas than you’d ever really want. Where’s your game’s thread? I’ll get to work :#

• BimbamBimbam Posts: 310Member

Speaking of ideas, is there a list anywhere of plugin ideas people want and/or intermediate tutorials people would be interested in/feel isn't easy?

I've been toying with the idea of making something as it feels more achievable than a scopecreepfordays full game.

Preferably 3D.

Yeah, I like plug-ins. I made a stereo 3D plug-in that works with red/cyan 3D glasses. It can make any Godot game into 3D, and also works in the editor. It's done, but I was trying to release it closer to when my demo comes out. But I might just push it to the AssetLib in the next few days to get it out of the way since it's finished. I also have my scaling plug-in, which is almost done. I decided to rewrite the algorithm from scratch, I'm working on it now. It was working before, and looked good, but the code was kind of hacked together from stuff I found online, and while it was public domain AFAIK, I'd still rather publish original code.

@Bimbam said:
    Speaking of ideas, is there a list anywhere of plugin ideas people want and/or intermediate tutorials people would be interested in/feel isn't easy?

I've been toying with the idea of making something as it feels more achievable than a scopecreepfordays full game.

Preferably 3D.

Well the list would be almost endless as any them would be good time savers and helpers for people like myself.

There seems to be a lot of dialog plugins, but there is not many projectile, aiming, FX, and decaling plugins for 3D. And tutorials on 3d is outnumbered 3 to 1 on youtube. So for a noob like me I had to try and translate 2d tutorials into 3d and then come to this forum and try to correct my assumptions.

For example trying to get shaders to function properly based off the youtube videos has been interesting. Just trying to find the shader settings for different shapes has been a challenge. They are buried in longer videos or they do not explain what each setting does or why. In other game engines to do basic particles if you wanted a cloud you just set an particle emitter and chose cloud shape, or spark, or fire, or fireworks etc. And if you wanted to do more elaborate particles than you could. But it seems if there was a plugin that would allow you to do very basic particle styles based on the desired effect what be a useful feature to an old man like me.

• BimbamBimbam Posts: 310Member
    edited December 2021

When you say projectil/aiming, what aspects of this have you found weren't well covered?

Definitely agree particles are mostly a trial and error crap shoot when I use them, but probably ahould invest some time into unravelling.

I'd love to be able to provide shader insight, but really learning shaders is a task unto itself (that i've only scratched the surfa e of) and not really godot specific I think.

@Bimbam said:
    When you say projectil/aiming, what aspects of this have you found weren't well covered?

Definitely agree particles are mostly a trial and error crap shoot when I use them, but probably ahould invest some time into unravelling.

I'd love to be able to provide shader insight, but really learning shaders is a task unto itself (that i've only scratched the surfa e of) and not really godot specific I think.

a simple plugin projectile for artillery would be lovely. the calculation of arcs and rotation scares new users. and i have seen one tutorial on it, and it was like video 10 out of 20. sometimes i think experienced coders forget how demoralizing failing at simple tasks can be for new users.

I personally would love some concept tutorials on lerping/linear interpolation, basically the concept of rotating or moving something smoothly. I know a lot of the basics of this and can do it, but just a video that covered it well and explained how the code works would be so helpful to reference, as well as solidify my knowledge.

In particular movement that isn't instantaneous to the input, for instance adding gun sway or delayed rotation or movement of anything, can't come up with examples but it would be nice to have some good tutorials.