How to Convert 2d TextEdit(s) scene to 3d scene

A23m1A23m1 Posts: 8Member

I have a CanvasLayer with (2) side-by-side, independent-content TextEdit box children in a 2D world.
Node2D->CanvasLayer->2 independent-content TextEdit box children.

What minimum node/script additions needed to convert from 2D to 3D world, while preserving independent TextEdit box contents?

Thanks

Best Answer

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 5,052
    Accepted Answer

I'm glad you were able to find a solution that works :smile:

For the documentation suggestions, I would highly recommend making an issue suggesting the improvements on the Godot documentation repository or on the Godot proposal repository. I'm not sure which is the best place to make the recommendation, as it seems there are feature enhancement suggestions on both, but of the two I might suggest the proposal library first as, worse case, it can be closed and moved to the documentation repository more easily.

Answers

• A23m1A23m1 Posts: 8Member

Desire TextEdit boxes preserved as 2D, but inserted/viewable in a 3D world.

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 5,052Admin

I think the GUI in 3D demo on the Godot Demo repository (or asset library) may be helpful :smile:

This thread may also help.

Thank You.
    Yes, I studied GUI_In_3D, but the TextEdit node was actually a lineEdit node. Nevertheless, a search lead me to a Godot HboxContainer question response stating that "HBoxContainer is a CONTROL-NODE AND ONLY APPLIES TO OTHER CONTROL-NODES." I took that to mean generally that control nodes apply ONLY to their children CONTROL nodes and not to their non-control nodes.(Perhaps not exactly true.) So, to keep it simple for me, I added control node parents for each TextEdit box. Thus, I satisfied an assumed requirement that the HBoxContainer control node needs control nodes to actually control.

I again read Godot control documentation stating "Control features a bounding rectangle that defines its extents, an anchor position relative to its PARENT control." That fits my solution.

I'm an experienced C++ tutor, but I'm often delayed by understanding Godot Node structure setup requirements and combination alternatives to achieve a result. (Yes, making mistakes is part of the learning process.)

New Godot learners like me read the documentation but don't really understand the full implications of it until seeing examples of what we (1) must do, (2) can do and (3) cannot do. While demos are helpful when you can find and understand them,

I believe the Godot community will grow faster and more competent with documentation structured with additional visual examples that emphasize what we (1) must do, (2) can do and (3) cannot do. Otherwise, we waist valuable time retesting what we (3) cannot do. After mastering what we (3) cannot do, then we open up our Godot worlds to their infinity possibilities.

I suggest that Godot adds this 3-part learning strategy to supplement the documentation. "Visual examples that emphasize what we (1) must do, (2) can do and (3) cannot do."

Thank you for your help.

TextEdit box node details here for others to see.

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 5,052Admin
    Accepted Answer

I'm glad you were able to find a solution that works :smile:

For the documentation suggestions, I would highly recommend making an issue suggesting the improvements on the Godot documentation repository or on the Godot proposal repository. I'm not sure which is the best place to make the recommendation, as it seems there are feature enhancement suggestions on both, but of the two I might suggest the proposal library first as, worse case, it can be closed and moved to the documentation repository more easily.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file