I am looking for inspiration, what 2d side view city / dungeon builder games do suggest I review?

jbskaggsjbskaggs Posts: 647Member

Just as title says what 2d side view city builders do you recommend as good examples of game play and design?

Comments

• Erich_LErich_L Posts: 591Member

In my opinion: none. If it's a city or a factory, something that you'd benefit extremely from having a birds eye or isometric view, 2d side view never works (for me). It makes me shake and despair. More details on what you want to do might help others give better less negative advice tho.

• jbskaggsjbskaggs Posts: 647Member

@Erich_L said:
    In my opinion: none. If it's a city or a factory, something that you'd benefit extremely from having a birds eye or isometric view, 2d side view never works (for me). It makes me shake and despair. More details on what you want to do might help others give better less negative advice tho.

True and I thought about that too. With 3d the benefits of 2d side are gone.

• jonSSjonSS Posts: 38Member

2D side view its really something that can take anyone to despair. The only way it makes sense is if the player is moving inside a complex or a big castle.
    Trying to do a big city in a 2d side scrolling game, and all of a sudden your brain starts to realize that pedestrians dont walk on roof tops, and there is no way of making paths leading the player up or down.
    It takes a lot of eye deceiving and short camera angles, to give the player the impression is walking on a big city.

@jonSS said:
    2D side view its really something that can take anyone to despair. The only way it makes sense is if the player is moving inside a complex or a big castle.
    Trying to do a big city in a 2d side scrolling game, and all of a sudden your brain starts to realize that pedestrians dont walk on roof tops, and there is no way of making paths leading the player up or down.
    It takes a lot of eye deceiving and short camera angles, to give the player the impression is walking on a big city.

That is true

• newmodelsnewmodels Posts: 483Member

Try review of, "Street Fighter" for "Super Nintendo".

edited November 2021

deleted post. i put in wrong post