Is Godot the right engine for my project?

HorzHorz Posts: 6Member

Hi there,
I want to create a rogue-like game with a multiplayer component. The dungeons will be procedural solo dungeons, but there should be elements that can be interchanged. The whole thing is intended as a web project.
I would like to keep the graphics simple (2D top view without great animations), but I already have the ambition to offer a lot of objects and monsters (I will probably do without animations for the most part).
So I also need a self-made monster or item editor with which I can easily create both.
I also need data storage / data management for my multiplayer elements.
In short: it's quite a big project for a beginner for me.
Since it is a hobby project, however, I have no time pressure and I have to start somewhere.
I have no experience with Godot or GDScript - but wonder if Godot was the right engine choice. It would be a shame if I were to familiarize myself with Godot now and then have to find out in a year that, for example, data management (monster data / item data per file) is problematic to implement.
Thanks for your feedback.

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 3,714Moderator

Yeah, it should be no problem. Godot is a general purpose engine, so basically any game is possible (though maybe not with the latest AAA graphics). But for simpler 2D games or basic 3D, it should be fine.

• Erich_LErich_L Posts: 590Member

You might say it's a hobby, until you fall in love with the project/idea and then want to pour a year into it. I'd still try to focus on making a playable, dumbed down version of your idea in like a month or two. Get something done you can have a friend play, it can make all the difference.

• fire7sidefire7side Posts: 435Member

There are a lot of problems starting out with a game that size. I would at least start with a simple dungeon crawler. The top down is a good idea. It's mostly because organizing a large project takes experience. If you start out with one, you will probably end up doing major rewrites or just giving up. Do some tutorials on some smaller games so you see how they organize their code.

• DeanOrToriDeanOrTori Posts: 56Member

I'd still try to focus on making a playable, dumbed down version of your idea in like a month or two. Get something done you can have a friend play, it can make all the difference.

seconding. I've made the mistake of making games without feedback at an appropriate time... had to re do a lot of combat and animations. (my animations and times made the game too unresponsive for its genre/ other mechanics)

speaking of which, i should take that advice and have my friends/ family check out my current game's gameplay before i get too far XD so thanks for the reminder!

also, as fire7side says, it would be a decent idea to start with a simpler game. I started WAY too ambitious for my first project, back when I did unity... even if you have perfect ideas and implementation, i've gotten way further in my current game in godot, which is much simpler, and makes me feel more accomplished knowing I'm so much closer to done than I would have been earlier. I think being able to release one game that's simpler would be good, then you'll know what to do and not to do for at least some bits.

sorry if that didn't make sense :X it still early here, but i hope you get what i mean about the simpler games.

• HorzHorz Posts: 6Member

I agree that you should start with small projects. A top-down roguelike is useful for smaller versions. So for now I am planning a small 5-dungeon-level version with maybe 2-3 very small tilesets, a few mobs and its own attribute / combat system.
    That's a lot of work, but much, much less than what I actually intended to do. It's great when a game idea can be scaled so well!
    I was able to find a tutorial for a basic framework for a rogue like on Youtube and download the project on Github. That was the first step so far.