Phantom Fury (working title) - Action packed twin stick shooter with RPG elements.

MikeCLMikeCL Posts: 7Member
edited October 19 in Projects

Hi Godot community!

Little over a year ago I started this project. I had a vision for a game that I wanted to create. After a lot of game design writing and sketching it was time to choose an engine to start prototyping. Obviously I landed on Godot :). Such a delight to develop with the engine.

A little bit about the game.

It's a top down twin stick shooter with some RPG inspired elements. The RPG elements will come in as unlocking and upgrading weapons. The objective in the game is simple... Survive as long as possible and kill as many enemies as possible and aim to get the highest score possible. As you progress the game will get harder and harder.

The game will take place in an arena with an additional "Boss room". The Boss room will become available after certain thresholds. Fighting the boss will be optional, very hard to beat but with that, highly rewarding.

I thought that after a year now that I'm getting a lot of the basic mechanics in place, maybe it's a good time to start sharing some progress. Current focus is gameplay mechanics and trying to nail the fun factor. There is visual development happening, but is in very early stages at the time and not ready for showing just yet.

Some inspiration comes from games such as Smash TV, Geometry wars, Nex Machina. But the combat will be much closer to what you experience in Doom Eternal. You won't be able to mindlessly shoot your way to success, but need to be a lot more tactical, combine/switch between different weapons for different scenarios, master evade/dashing etc.

The key for me is to keep the scope small and focus on quality over quantity together with the fun factor. Even though it's too early to talk about it in general, I hope to release (when ready) on Steam, and a dream would also be to release it on the Nintendo Switch.

Here's the latest progress

(for description, scroll down to latest post)

The first videos recorded on the project:

This is a passion project so progress pacing will vary. I hope to show more current state soon.

Tags :

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 2,089Moderator

Hey and welcome to the forum, @MikeCL .

I never heard of Nex Machina, but that game looks cool so I bought it. I also had a lot of fun with RUINER, looks kind of similar. Not to mention Crimsonland, one of the best games of all time.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/262830/Crimsonland/

Anyhow, I wish you luck in finishing your game.

• MikeCLMikeCL Posts: 7Member

@cybereality said:
    Hey and welcome to the forum, @MikeCL .

I never heard of Nex Machina, but that game looks cool so I bought it. I also had a lot of fun with RUINER, looks kind of similar. Not to mention Crimsonland, one of the best games of all time.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/262830/Crimsonland/

Anyhow, I wish you luck in finishing your game.

Hey, thanks! Yeah, Nex Machina is great.. A bit too much chaos with the bullet hell visuals, but it plays very well and it looks fantastic.

Ruiner is also a game I was looking closely at. I love the visuals but had a hard time getting used to the controllers. But yeah, love the vibes.

edited October 12

So this is closer to how the project looks like currently.

Prototyping and testing out the new spawn system I created with the first enemy class/type. Only showing 1 enemy here, but it can handle multiple enemy class spawning and it also give me great control over each wave.
    Designed to go through different spawn levels with each level having several spawn waves (5 waves in this video).

Everything you see is still placeholder graphics for now.

Cool, yeah, it's starting to look like a game!

edited October 15

Trying out the new flamethrower weapon mechanics together with weapon switching .

The flamethrower sets the enemy on fire and the enemy will take repeat damage lasting 10 seconds. While enemy is burning, bullets deal an additional 20 damage points. Making the flamethrower a deadly combo weapon.

If you happen to like the progress. feel free to like the video, it helps with getting the project and engine awareness :)

Ending the week with a small update. We felt we needed a better "Working title" name for the project. So we changed the project name to Phantom Fury.

Good name.

edited October 19

Enemies now have their own health bar as well as damage, score indicators that pop up.

An important aspect of the game that gives the player a clearer opportunity to see what each weapon has for effect on different enemies. Also makes it easier to see the score being collected on each kill.

The white smaller numbers are damage dealt on enemy, blue number represents the kill score and the yellow weapon points. Weapon points is what you will use to upgrade and unlock new weapons.

There are some smaller bugs needed to be fixed (like the weapon score collected doesn't match with the accumulated score shown).. Something that will probably be fixed for next update.

Nice.