Run to the End - A procedurally generated speedrunner

ErtainErtain Posts: 36Member
edited November 2021 in Projects

This is a game I've been putting together over the past few months call Run to the End. It's a game about getting to the end goal post as fast as you can. The levels are procedurally generated, so there's a bit of variety in each playthrough. You can save your course, and beat your best time. You can even get the random number that generated the course, and share it with someone else. There are obstacles like landmines, flaming spheres, and fire-breathing dragon statues to challenge you.

It's still in development, so it's subject to change. But I have a few more ideas for the game. Download it and tell me what you think.

Title screen
Path course
Hill course

Updated to version 0.8.1

• Added coins which reduce the timer.
  • Add speed pads.
  • The courses are now infused with grass power!
  • Better interface navigation with a joystick/controller.
  • Main character now sports cool shades.
  • Made the game look better when it's in full-screen mode (the dialogs and some of the fonts look better).
  • Shrank the binary a bit.
  • New icon!

Get it here!

Tags :

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 5,341Moderator

Oh cool. Sharing random codes is a nice way to share levels.

• DaveTheCoderDaveTheCoder Posts: 891Member
    edited September 2021

A minor issue: some of the text is not readable. Am I missing a needed font?

The Random Sentence looks truncated, and the Random Number contains weird characters.

This is on Linux (Pop!_OS 20.04).

Also, what's the recommended way to jump over the gaps?

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 5,341Moderator

I think that is just a strange front. That character is a 7.

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 4,822Admin

But also a strange font. ;)

• ErtainErtain Posts: 36Member
    edited October 2021

I knew I should have changed that font. Also, I need to move the preview picture more to the right. Thanks for the feedback.

As for jumping, use the space bar (unless you're using a controller, then it may vary). For a controller, jumping is with the "A" button (on Xbox controllers).

Just updated to version 0.8.1. Try it out and tell me what you think.

• aXu_APaXu_AP Posts: 21Member

Nice little game! I liked the visuals. My record on small hill level is around 8 seconds (coins helped me alot).
    Adding some variety to islands wouldn't hurt though. The gameplay feels a bit stiff and it's easy to get stuck under ledges (consider smoothing the collision polygon so that there isn't ledge).

I would like to add some variety to the islands, but it would take me a while to make them look distinct. Also, I would like to change the ledge/cliff face, but there isn't a different cliff piece in the modular "hill" set. I can't change the small details of the collision polygon in the editor. Are the controls a bit stiff? Or are there other stiff elements in the gameplay?

• CarviiCarvii Posts: 27Member

Would you ever consider adding intentional extremely difficult to maneuver “bugs” to capture the real vibe of speedruns or maybe a bug mode? Game is sick btw

What sort of "bugs" are you referring to? Having collisions that randomly go out? Messing with the jumping under certain conditions? Some things blow up randomly?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file