export Blender file to Godot

ZawelFeltZawelFelt Posts: 3Unconfirmed Member

Hi,

basic questions:
1)in Blender> file> export
what type of file should I choose to export to Godot?

2)Are Blender animations exportable?

3)Are the applied Blender modifiers exportable?

4)Are the applied Blender constraints exportable?

thanks

Comments

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 4,430Admin

Welcome to the forums @ZawelFelt!

1) what type of file should I choose to export to Godot?

Ideally GLTF, as it is an open format, supports animation, and is well supported in Godot.

2) Are Blender animations exportable?

Yup! In GLTF, Collada (.dae), and FBX files animation is supported. OBJ files, while importable by Godot, do not support animation.

3) Are the applied Blender modifiers exportable?

No, you will need to apply them or check apply modifiers on export (or something similar) for them to be applied on the exported file. Godot does not support Blender modifiers

4)Are the applied Blender constraints exportable?

If they are baked into the animation, then yes, otherwise, no. Godot doesn't have built-in support for Blender constraints, so the constraint itself has to be saved/baked into the animation.

Hopefully this helps answer your questions :smile:

Also:

This discussion was caught in the moderation queue since you have not confirmed your account yet.

Upon creating your account you should have received an account verification email. The confirmation email may have been incorrectly flagged as spam, so please also check your spam filter. Without confirming your account, future posts may also be caught in the moderation queue. You can resend a confirmation email when you log into your account if you cannot find the first verification email.

(Note: You do not need to repost, the discussion has been moved out and is visible now)

If you need any help, please let us know! You can find ways to contact forum staff on the Contact page. Thanks! :smile:

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 1,619Moderator

I've had the most luck with the glTF format (it is an open format made by the makers of OpenGL and Vulkan). You have the choice of using separate files (like for textures) or embedding everything. Depends on your workflow, but in most cases you will have to remake the materials anyhow since Blender doesn't export the PBR materials (maybe there is a way, but I've only got the Albedo to export properly).

Yes, animations are supported. Skinned animation should work well (though I haven't yet tested this). Blend shapes I think also work for some platforms. You wouldn't export modifiers or constraints, but these can be baked into the skinned animation (at least that is how I think it would work, again, haven't tried it myself).

• justinbarrettjustinbarrett Posts: 226Member
    edited June 12

gltf for me always.
    I can say for me, any constraints I setup in blender that have effect on the armatures don't really work in godot...HOWEVER they do modify the bones position and that is exported properly.

e.g. I commonly use a "look at" constraint for the head bones for characters. To maintain their looking direction...as long as I set keyframes in blender for the head bone, it gets imported into godot with the proper pose but the constraint itself does not...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file