Realistic collision sounds of 3d objects

ondesicondesic Posts: 22Member

When I watch games like Angry Birds or games with rolling dice, I take for granted how good they sound until I try to create something similar.
I have a 3D cube that is thrown into box and knows around until it settles flat. Just triggering a sound on each collision doesn't sound right. Very mechanical. Any thoughts on how to make this realistic?

Comments

• CalinouCalinou Posts: 561Admin Godot Developer
    edited April 2

I have a 3D cube that is thrown into box and knows around until it settles flat. Just triggering a sound on each collision doesn't sound right. Very mechanical. Any thoughts on how to make this realistic?

I think this is a decent approach, but you need to do a few things to make it sound more natural:

• Change the sound's volume depending on the impact force.
    • Randomize the pitch slightly (try a range like 0.95-1.05). You could also vary the pitch based on impact force, depending on the kind of sound played.
    • Use a few random variants (between 2 and 4) to avoid using the same sound all the time.
  • dotteddotted Posts: 230Member

Is the base sfx "good" (ie does it sound like what you want)?

Placing the sfx in 3d space can make a difference.

If the sfx is a mono sound and is not played in 3d, it won't feel stereo because it isn't.

Calinou's suggestion of a random set of variants will make a big difference. Not even foot falls sound the same from left to right.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file