Magic Man (Formerly: CodeName-Red) MMORPG

UnderglowUnderglow Posts: 7Member
edited October 27 in Projects

Welcome to the CodeName-Red development log.
This is my very first entry in the log - I find this the most difficult part of the devlog. I have focused mainly on development and design at this point in time. Please note that "CodeName-Red" (or, CN-Red) is a placeholder name for the project.

Follow the games discord for additional devlog info / progress / for a chat: discord

CN-Red is a 2D Side-scrolling MMORPG that's been under development for 6 months. This game has had inspiration from Stick-Online.

Current progress:

System
- Database, World Server & Client based architecture
- Character registration & authentication
- User messaging (local, global and whispers)

Monsters
- AI (movement and attack patterns)
- Damage, damage reduction & scaling
- Provide a set amount of experience based on player particpation

Player
- Movement
- Statistics (See statistics below)
- Skills (Currently, just 1 weapon skill)
- Choose a path at level 2 (See paths below)
- Leveling system
- Inventory
- Equipment (Main weapon is the only working equipment item so far)

Paths
- Customise your character as you level.
- Choose a path at level 2
- Paths: Phantom, Mystic and Other (Placeholder)
- Either a mana bar or energy bar will be displayed based on the chosen path.
- Paths contain skills trees -> Only the "Mystic" path contains the base of a skill tree, still a WIP.

Path Trees
- Mystic
+ (Mind Wand) 1/4: Improves mind and damage with daggers per-level.
+ (Mind Dagger) 1/4: Improves mind and damage with wands per-level.

Items
- Twig

Skills
- Twig Attack
- Punch
- Monster Punch

Statistics
- Strength (improved physical damage)
- Agility (improved movement speed & critical strike chance)
- Mind (improved mana or energy pool & regeneration + improved magic damage and resistance)
- Body (improved health and defense)

Comments

• HippoHippo Posts: 185Member
    edited March 25

For a niche game I hadn't heard of until recently, Stick-Online seems to have inspired a lot of people. Your framework seems really solid, I'm looking forward to seeing more!

• UnderglowUnderglow Posts: 7Member
    edited April 5

Thanks Hippo!

Entry #2 - 1/04/2021

Notes
    I had a minor setback this week, I contemplated as to whether I should re-do the player authentication system. Currently, the player authentication is done on the worlds server and I was hoping to eventually convert it to it's very own server for performance reasons; but for me to push forward with this project, I'm convincing myself to stick to the KISS principle - as I had always intended.

Progress this week:
    Path Trees

• UI now allows the player to click and choose their path.
    • UI will display a tool-tip when mouse is hovered over the path nodes.
    • Path UI closes all other UI elements when opened.
    • Fixed an issue with stats not adjusting properly when a path node is learned.

Items
    - Dagger

Skills
    - Dagger Attack

Follow the games discord for additional devlog info / progress / for a chat: discord

Entry #3 - 27/10/2021

This entry is just shy of 7 months after Entry #2 - sorry about that. There has been a lot of updates since. The following has changed:

1. I have decided to name this game: "Magic Man".
    2. The stick man has been completely redesigned! I've gone for a more "pixel" art design, this is a lot easier to work with.
    3. Forest environment, this will be the starting "zone" for the hero.
    4. Blob monster, this is the weakest monster found in the forest.
    5. Goblin monster will be one of the more moderate monsters found in the forest.
    6. Group system, up to 5 members can group together. Grouping up will not only allow you to share experience for monster kills and quests, but it provides a minor experience increase too.
    7. I've overhauled the previous item system, each that can be equipped will have 4 tiers: "Common", "Uncommon", "Rare" and "Epic".

I have created a YouTube video that shows some of the new changes above.

Magic Man 3

If people are interested, I can document my progress on YouTube - please let me know.

edited November 25

Entry #4 - 25/11/2021

This month I have worked on quite a number of new systems/features. Before I jump into that, I would like to apologies for what appears to not be putting in too much "effort" into my development logs. I am a family man who attempts to balance a full-time job, family time and game dev.

Progress this month:

• The questing system.
    • The spell system (fireball is shown in the video below)
    • NPC's and NPC interactions (dialogue, pick-up and hand-in quests etc.)
    • Ranged weapons and projectiles (wand / blowgun)
    • SFX system.

If people are interested, I can document my progress on YouTube with commentary - please let me know.

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 2,780Moderator

The parallax background is bugging me out, since it's going at the wrong speed. Anything in the background should be moving at a slower speed than the game level (this is how perspective works). So as you move, things in the background move slower based on how far they are away (the further away, the slower). You seem to have it moving faster, which is physically impossible and making my eyes hurt.

• HippoHippo Posts: 185Member

Looks like this game is coming along nicely, it's really cool to see you're still working on it. Do you have some long term plans for things like bosses and story quests?

@cybereality said:
    The parallax background is bugging me out, since it's going at the wrong speed. Anything in the background should be moving at a slower speed than the game level (this is how perspective works). So as you move, things in the background move slower based on how far they are away (the further away, the slower). You seem to have it moving faster, which is physically impossible and making my eyes hurt.

Hi! I appreciate you for pointing that out. While I have worked on 2D platformer games before, this is the first that's had parallax scrolling. I will tweak it & hopefully have that issue resolved.

@Hippo said:
    Looks like this game is coming along nicely, it's really cool to see you're still working on it. Do you have some long term plans for things like bosses and story quests?

Thanks Hippo. I have been working on this project since September 3rd 2020!
    There will be "bosses" that will spawn throughout the world. I do also plan on having specific areas that require a "group" of players to tackle. As for story quests, this is certain!

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 4,212Admin

The parallax background moving faster can be 'correct' if what you are trying to emulate is a turning/rotating camera view rather than a panning one.