Can visual scripting be used to make an 8bit platformer?

ErotiqueErotique Posts: 2Member

Hey all!

Like the title says, I'm just curious if Godot's visual scripting could be used to make an 8bit platformer like MegaMan, Super Mario Bro's 3, or Kirby etc.

I want the game to to have maybe 10-15 stages, different abilities/powers from items or bosses, item menu etc.

Tags :

Comments

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 4,822Admin

In theory at least the Visual Script should be able to do everything GDScript can.

• ErotiqueErotique Posts: 2Member
    edited January 2021

@Megalomaniak said:
    In theory at least the Visual Script should be able to do everything GDScript can.

Thanks for the reply! I'm torn between GMS2's dnd, and Godot's visual script for making my game and am trying to make a final decision pretty soon because I've made a pretty good deal of assets; I can start putting a level together, adding the player, 3 frame animations etc.

Is porting to console easy with Godot? I don't imagine I'd port to console anytime soon, but if the game ever did well enough it would be awesome to do.

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 4,822Admin

Is porting to console easy with Godot? Not particularly, no. Mostly to do with console platform owners licensing terms and prices. I.e. sony and nindendo are not easy, you have to contact them and get a dev license and a expensive dev kit to then port the engine there. Luckily there is a third party dev whos already done that and is willing to take on a game porting contract. But a more open platform like MS xbox, yes easy enough.

• newmodelsnewmodels Posts: 623Member

what I would look at is the license between these two options. You might also consider the learning curve needed. Is the one documentation better than the other. And something else that might be needed, is the community.