Search engine for free game assets

cnerdcnerd Posts: 6Member

Hi guys, I am currently working on a search engine for free 3d and 2d game assets. The reason I started this project is because I realized it was extremely difficult as a solo indie game dev to create you own assets and also work on your game at the same time. So I hope this search engine when it's completed will help other developers in the same situation I am in.

Tags :

Comments

• cnerdcnerd Posts: 6Member

Hello guys I just deployed a simple search engine I have been working on which helps to find free assets on the web for game dev and other 3d related tasks. Here is the link http://discoverassets.website/
    Please give me feedback on the site and what you think needs improvement

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 3,353Admin

Not sure if your engine already crawls it, but opengameart.org is a site with a lot of assets but not a particularly pleasant site search.

@Megalomaniak said:
    Not sure if your engine already crawls it, but opengameart.org is a site with a lot of assets but not a particularly pleasant site search.

Yes the engine crawls opengameart.org

OK, I made a search for the term gun and the first thing I notice is that the search results don't mention asset license on there results listing page. It's obviously just a quality of life feature but it would be very nice to have.

So I noticed that the search engine tends to get slow sometimes so I have added the first patch of a series of patches which is meant to increase the speed of the search engine. So I you wouldn’t mind checking it out and giving me feedback if you noticed the change in speed

@Megalomaniak said:
    OK, I made a search for the term gun and the first thing I notice is that the search results don't mention asset license on there results listing page. It's obviously just a quality of life feature but it would be very nice to have.

I am currently implementing a couple of patches for the search engine I will try to add that feature in it. Thanks for the feedback though 👍🏾.

• exuinexuin Posts: 54Member

Hmm, could use a font change. Script fonts are hard to read. Also, what sites are you crawling? Is it only OpenGameArt? I searched "Visual Novel" and only got results from there.

Definitely more sites than that, but most are 3D assets only so a search like yours would probably not find that many results.

• exuinexuin Posts: 54Member

I see. In that case, I think that the OP should also include 2D assets as well. Also, try crawling itch.io as well?

@exuin said:
    I see. In that case, I think that the OP should also include 2D assets as well. Also, try crawling itch.io as well?

Thank you so much for the feedback, if you want to know the sites the engine scrapes checkout the privacy policy and, for the suggestions you made I will start implementation next week. I am have exams right now so sorry in advance for the delay