Confused about how to properly export a project for release

QuantumIslesQuantumIsles Posts: 2Member

I have recently finished my first project with Godot and am getting ready to release it on Steam and I was worried about a problem I had noticed while having my friends test out my project. It seems that whenever I export my project and have anyone run it on their computer it causes windows SmartScreen to pop up a message saying that "Windows protected your PC" and makes them click a "more info" button before being able to then click a "run anyway" button. I'm guessing that this has to do with code signatures but I have been having trouble locating information about how to properly do this for distributions and what I have found has been just Microsoft wanting me to pay upwards of $300 a year for a certificate. any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 3,566Admin

This discussion was caught in the moderation queue since you have not confirmed your account yet.

Upon creating your account you should have received an account verification email. The confirmation email may have been incorrectly flagged as spam, so please also check your spam filter. Without confirming your account, future posts may also be caught in the moderation queue. You can resend a confirmation email when you log into your account if you cannot find the first verification email.

If you need any help, please let us know! You can find ways to contact forum staff on the Contact page. Thanks! :smile:

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 4,292Admin

Welcome to the forums @QuantumIsles!

This is, sadly, just a downside of how Godot works and how Window SmartScreen works. The Godot export templates are compiled versions of the Godot engine that run the .pck file. However, because they are compiled and not signed with a certificate, Window SmartScreen sees them as a "potential" issue and does not allow for their execution without getting permission from the user. The only way to fix this, that I know of, is to compile the export templates manually and sign them with a certificate from Microsoft.
    I personally have not had the issue of Windows SmartScreen popping up, but based on my Google searches it seems this is a semi-common problem. I would perhaps just add a note about how Windows SmartScreen sometimes will popup and how to fix it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file