The Godot Community Forums are back up and running! Please read the the announcement post for important information on what happened. Thanks!

How to adjust viewpoint position in 3D editor?

UnknownUserUnknownUser Posts: 0
edited September 5 in 3D

When editing a 3D scene, how do you change the position of the editor viewport camera? The documentation unhelpfully says the controls are "similar to Blender [ ... ] but options are included to customize mouse buttons and behavior to be similar to other tools in the Editor Settings" without describing what any of those settings do. (As far as I can tell, they do absolutely nothing.)

From what I can gather (I'm coming from a Unity background), Blender controls are RMB to pan (works), wheel to zoom (works) and MMB to track. Which is no good for me, because I'm using a 2-button trackball and the "Emulate 3-button mouse" option also does nothing.

(3.2 via Steam, Ubuntu)

Best Answers

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 1,053
    Accepted Answer

Emulate 3-button mouse works for me. You just have to hold the Alt key to orbit, or Alt + Shift to pan.

Also, you can move around the viewport in "spectator mode" by holding RMB and using WASD to move.

• UnknownUserUnknownUser Posts: 0
    edited September 5 Accepted Answer

@cybereality said:
    Emulate 3-button mouse works for me. You just have to hold the Alt key to orbit, or Alt + Shift to pan.

Wonder if it's my trackball? (I've had trouble getting 3-button emulation working with it at the OS level.)

ETA: Turns out I had some legacy OS configuration for 3-button emulation on a trackpad, which hadn't tracked(!) the switch to a trackball. So I've got it working as an OS-level solution (which is great!) but makes me wonder why the Godot emulation option wasn't working.

Also, you can move around the viewport in "spectator mode" by holding RMB and using WASD to move.

That's what I'm after, but using just mouse controls.

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 1,053
    Accepted Answer

You can also press Shift + F to enter spectator mode, so you don't have to hold RMB but you still need to use the WASD keys to move around.

Answers

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 1,053Moderator
    Accepted Answer

Also, welcome to the forum!

• @cybereality said:
    Also, welcome to the forum!

Thank you!

• UnknownUserUnknownUser Posts: 0
    edited September 5 Accepted Answer

@cybereality said:

Wonder if it's my trackball? (I've had trouble getting 3-button emulation working with it at the OS level.)

ETA: Turns out I had some legacy OS configuration for 3-button emulation on a trackpad, which hadn't tracked(!) the switch to a trackball. So I've got it working as an OS-level solution (which is great!) but makes me wonder why the Godot emulation option wasn't working.

That's what I'm after, but using just mouse controls.

Accepted Answer

You can also press Shift + F to enter spectator mode, so you don't have to hold RMB but you still need to use the WASD keys to move around.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file