Can or Can't we run a Godot Windows Server?

Stefan_GameDevStefan_GameDev Posts: 54Member

So I decided to write my server in GDScript making full use of the RCP method.

I was under the impression by the documentation:
Windows: There is no dedicated server build for Windows yet. As an alternative, you can use the --no-window command-line argument to prevent Godot from spawning a window.

That I would be able to run the server on Windows Server using the --no-window command, but it would appear that Godot is still looking for OpenGL, which my VPS doesn't have as it doesn't have a GPU.

So are the docs misleading? Or am I missing something?

Comments

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 3,103Admin

I have no idea, but the developers on the devel channel on the IRC might know. I'd ask there, since most of the core Godot developers are fairly active there.

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 2,898Admin
    edited August 3

The docs aren't misleading, it says that there is no dedicated server build for windows. Running --no-window doesn't remove the requirement for OpenGL device.

Bundling a software mesa openGL driver along with the godot build might work though... Not guaranteeing success on that front though either. It might still have a problem with no connected display for an example.

• CalinouCalinou Posts: 464Admin Godot Developer

There are plans to remove the server platform and replace it with a headless mode available in all binaries: https://github.com/godotengine/godot-proposals/issues/991

• Stefan_GameDevStefan_GameDev Posts: 54Member

@Megalomaniak said:
    The docs aren't misleading, it says that there is no dedicated server build for windows. Running --no-window doesn't remove the requirement for OpenGL device.

Bundling a software mesa OpenGL driver along with the Godot build might work though... Not guaranteeing success on that front though either. It might still have a problem with no connected display for an example.

Well, I interpreted 'alternative' as you can run a windows server. I think it would be fair to give a heads-up that won't work if there is no OpenGL support.

I tried your solution with Mesa3D and that did the job perfect! Enough to keep developing and get a small number of testers on board and wait for Godot 4.0 and the headless mode @Calinou refers to :)

Thx guys!

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 2,898Admin

@Stefan_GameDev said:
    I think it would be fair to give a heads-up that won't work if there is no OpenGL support.

Yeah, that would probably make sense.

• CalinouCalinou Posts: 464Admin Godot Developer

@Stefan_GameDev I opened a pull request to document this: https://github.com/godotengine/godot-docs/pull/3879

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file