What's my best bet for easily using this green house tile set I bought?

UI369UI369 Posts: 14Member
edited July 23 in 2D

image removed

So I bought a pack of tilesets on itch.io

I'm trying to use this one to build a house.

Now I'm looking at TileMaps, TileSets, etc. I've considered just creating a scene and adding sprites with different sections and moving them around and building a house way.

It has all the different angles to draw arbitrary houses... it seems like this could be EXTREMELY tedious, or if I set something clever up with a TileMap or the like (I've used this with terrain stuff, like building a dungeon with floor tiles, but not something like a house) it could be kind of pleasant to paint a house.

What's my best bet as far as setting up this resource to let me start building houses of different sizes and shapes in Godot?

image removed

Answers

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 2,831Admin

If you bought the assets, you probably cannot redistribute them, even if you are just posting them here to ask for help. Please check the license for the assets and whether you can redistribute them, and if you cannot, then please remove the images or get one of us admins to remove it. Posting material you are not allowed to redistribute is against forum rules (if nothing else, for legal reasons).

Regardless, to answer your question: It looks like the tileset is for RPG Maker, and all of the tiles are on a consistent grid size. In software like RPG Maker, you use multiple tilesets with differing Z-indexes to place details on top of each other, making the tiles with cutouts work as expected. In Godot, I would use a base tilemap and a details tilemap, where the base tilemap has the main structure, and the details tilemap has things like the windows, doors, etc.

• UI369UI369 Posts: 14Member

Ok, you have an admin flag, could you remove them then? I don't see a way to edit. I guess I put a watermark on them or something in the future? I'm trying to understand the different layouts of these spritesheets so posting the actual image is important. Knowing this is for RPG Maker is helpful.

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 2,831Admin

@UI369 said:
    Ok, you have an admin flag, could you remove them then? I don't see a way to edit.

I removed them. You should be able to edit your posts via the little gear in the top right corner of the post (or by the title in the OP).

I guess I put a watermark on them or something in the future? I'm trying to understand the different layouts of these spritesheets so posting the actual image is important. Knowing this is for RPG Maker is helpful.

I totally get you. It’s hard to ask questions like that without showing what you are talking about.
    Using a watermark that makes it hard (if not impossible) to actually use the tile set directly would probably suffice. The idea is just to make it where those who have not purchased the title set cannot use it in their games without purchasing it themselves. You may also be able to link to the promotional material shown on the asset itself, if it shows how the tile sets are constructed, which is a hit and miss depending on the asset. As long as its mostly obstructed or altered in an undesirable way by some means, it should be fine :+1:

(Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nor am I giving legal advice! Please seek the advice of a legal professional if you want a more definite answer)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file