how to export 3d meshes FROM godot?

ArdemniusArdemnius Posts: 4Member
in 3D

I've imported some 3d meshes from blender into godot for 3d level prototyping and everything works fine as intended, i duplicated and scaled many copies into a rough level layout.
But now it would be very useful to be able to export this "level" back into blender to be able to start modeling more refined assets to scale and placement.

Is there a way to do that in godot?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 2,873Admin

Welcome to the forums @Ardemnius!

Right now, I do not think there is any official support for exporting scenes to a 3D file in Godot. That said, there is a PR to add GLTF export support that, hopefully, will be merged in the future :smile:

• ArdemniusArdemnius Posts: 4Member

Ah, ok.
    Thanks!

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 2,785Admin
    edited July 20

I have a fuzzy memory of someone mentioning some way to do it now, but it was more convoluted iirc and I don't remember enough to tell you how to do it or who mentioned it. @Calinou perhaps might know?

• SIsilicon28SIsilicon28 Posts: 749Moderator

Actually, I've come across a similar question. My response was that you make your own exporter. I also suggested to start with a simple format like obj, as it is well documented.

• ArdemniusArdemnius Posts: 4Member
    edited July 20

@SIsilicon28 said:
    Actually, I've come across a similar question. My response was that you make your own exporter. I also suggested to start with a simple format like obj, as it is well documented.

For what i have in mind, just to be able to export a group of nested meshinstance nodes as objs, while keeping their world scale/pos/rot would be enough, no worries about textures, or any other data from the tscn.

Could you please point me in the right direction about making an exporter like that?

• SIsilicon28SIsilicon28 Posts: 749Moderator

There is a Godot plugin that exports CSG meshes. Perhaps you can inspect and see how it works. https://github.com/henriquelalves/GodotCSGExporter

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file