Godot error - opengl not supported

Cnnn666 GamesCnnn666 Games Posts: 26Member
edited July 13 in General Support

Hello, as in title, but there's a differnce. When I installed (steam version) of godot, I could run it and do game in OpenGL 2.0 or 3.0 but next day, I couldn't run it. It was showing "Your graphics card does not support any version od godot, please try update your driver" (tip: when I was updating drivers, my pc went into BSOD so... yeah). Also tried use version from your site, nothing, still same error. My graphics card is: AMD Radeon 5600 HD and I'm not sure if i3 540 have intel graphics card (also pc isn't showing other graphics card than radeon). Hope you'll help me. I want to create a game in godot coz it's best game engine.

Comments

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 3,103Admin
    edited July 12

Welcome to the forums @Cnnn666 Games!

My guess is that your drivers became out of date or got messed up when your computer went into BSOD. Since you have a AMD Radeon 5600 HD, you will need to update your drivers using AMDs software utility. After updating your graphics card driver, it should be good. AMD's support page should point you to the correct drivers to install.

... Also tried use version from your site, nothing, still same error. ...

This is the Godot community forums and is separate from the main Godot team, website, etc. :smile:

Also: This discussion was caught in the moderation queue since you have not confirmed your account yet.

Upon creating your account you should have received an account verification email. The confirmation email may have been incorrectly flagged as spam, so please also check your spam filter. Without confirming your account, future posts may also be caught in the moderation queue. You can resend a confirmation email when you log into your account if you cannot find the first verification email.

If you need any help, please let us know! You can find ways to contact forum staff on the Contact page. Thanks! :smile:

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 2,898Admin
    edited July 13

Make sure to use DDU and do a clean install of your gpu drivers since the bsod might have resulted in some corrupt/broken files too.

I'd recommend maybe watching a video on youtube for DDU first just to make sure you use it right though.

• Cnnn666 GamesCnnn666 Games Posts: 26Member
    edited July 13

Godot should be on disk C:\ or D : \ (system is on C:)

edited July 13

Actually, I installed drivers from amd support site. While installation to the newest, pc showed bsod. When pc was restarting, I selected safe mode and uninstalled newest drivers. Also I founded that, driver 6.10.[...] are supporting opengl 4.2 so why drivers 8.173.0.0 can't support opengl (at least) 2.0 ?

(Btw: I'm scared sometimes to use computer coz, bsod.... it's scary in w7, also I don't want to update drivers, I want my pc still alive)

Moderator note: This post was caught in moderation queue.

• SIsilicon28SIsilicon28 Posts: 757Moderator

You know, I had a similar experience with Blender. Ever since the 2.8 update, it requires that the graphics driver supports at least OpenGL 3.3. Now while my graphics driver did support that it was still too buggy for me to use the new features. I tried updating my drivers, but that didn't work. But when I upgraded to Windows 10, then updated the drivers, everything was fine. Please don't be scared of a BSOD. If it happens again when doing the exact same thing, I suggest you go to a computer technician.

Okay, basically I know what can be issue. I insatlled OpenGL Viewer to check opengl for my graphics card. I opened it, and it showed GNU [...]. And I'm sure, I don't have this. I have radeon and opengl viewer isn't showing it. But how I know? I have installed directx 11 and opengl viewer shows that it supports only directx 10 max.
    Maybe godot changed rendering to this thing? If yes, how can I fix it?

@SIsilicon28 said:
    You know, I had a similar experience with Blender. Ever since the 2.8 update, it requires that the graphics driver supports at least OpenGL 3.3. Now while my graphics driver did support that it was still too buggy for me to use the new features. I tried updating my drivers, but that didn't work. But when I upgraded to Windows 10, then updated the drivers, everything was fine. Please don't be scared of a BSOD. If it happens again when doing the exact same thing, I suggest you go to a computer technician.

First, I'm never gonna update my w7 to w10
    Second, bsod is really scary, it's scariest thing in world ;-;
    I'm never gonna update drivers, unless amd public newer version.

@Cnnn666 Games said:
    Okay, basically I know what can be issue. I insatlled OpenGL Viewer to check opengl for my graphics card. I opened it, and it showed GNU [...]. And I'm sure, I don't have this. I have radeon and opengl viewer isn't showing it. But how I know? I have installed directx 11 and opengl viewer shows that it supports only directx 10 max.
    Maybe godot changed rendering to this thing? If yes, how can I fix it?

Godot doesn’t use DirectX, it only uses OpenGL (and Vulkan in Godot 4.0). If OpenGL is not working on your computer, neither will Godot. In the future, Godot might support DirectX 12, but as far as I know, that will be post Godot 4.0.

First, I'm never gonna update my w7 to w10
    Second, bsod is really scary, it's scariest thing in world ;-;
    I'm never gonna update drivers, unless amd public newer version.

1 - Note that using an older version of Windows may mean you run into these kinds of issues. You can stick with Windows 7 if you want, but as time goes on, issues like this are likely to occur, as drivers and the like are not designed to support the older OS.
    2 - Then I would suggest seeing a PC technician and getting their help with updating your drivers, if you decide to go down that route.
    3 - Updating your drivers is probably what you need to do to fix the issue, as it sounds like the OpenGL side of the GPU driver somehow became corrupt or otherwise is not working. You can try to let Windows handle it via Windows update and see if that works, but outside of that, I’m not sure what else to suggest. The only other thing I might suggest is getting the aid of a computer technician and having them help you update your drivers and get OpenGL working again.

edited July 13

@TwistedTwigleg said:
    Godot doesn’t use DirectX, it only uses OpenGL (and Vulkan in Godot 4.0). If OpenGL is not working on your computer, neither will Godot. In the future, Godot might support DirectX 12, but as far as I know, that will be post Godot 4.0.

I know but I said that my card supports DirectX 11 and OpenGL Viewer shows other card "Which I don't have" which supports DirectX 10 max.

1 - Note that using an older version of Windows may mean you run into these kinds of issues. You can stick with Windows 7 if you want, but as time goes on, issues like this are likely to occur, as drivers and the like are not designed to support the older OS.

So changing from Windows 7 to Windows 10 may solve problem? I don't wanna risk my privacy and pc using windows 10.

2 - Then I would suggest seeing a PC technician and getting their help with updating your drivers, if you decide to go down that route.

When I was updating drivers, I got installed 8.173.0.0 version. Maybe that's why I got bsod?

Also (as I said) oepngl viewer shows other things which I don't have (or at least my pc does not shows this) but it isn't showing my graphics card (In this case, ATI Radeon 5600 HD). It's GNU[...] which I don't have, idk what's the issue. Idk what to do. Unity runs well, but I don't wanna use it ;P
    **Also godot is insatlled on "D : \" disk and system is on C:**

@Cnnn666 Games said:

@TwistedTwigleg said:

I know but I said that my card supports DirectX 11 and OpenGL Viewer shows other card "Which I don't have" which supports DirectX 10 max.

Well, GNU is related to Unix operating systems (Wikipedia), so I’m not sure why it is happening there. Maybe you installed the Linux driver instead of the Windows one? That might explain the BSOD.

So changing from Windows 7 to Windows 10 may solve problem? I don't wanna risk my privacy and pc using windows 10.

It might solve the problem, with a big might. I cannot say one way or another, but using a newer OS may fix it simply because its newer and because it can use newer drivers.

When I was updating drivers, I got installed 8.173.0.0 version. Maybe that's why I got bsod?

Its possible. I looked up the drivers for your graphics card, and I didn’t find anything. Are you sure your graphics card is a Radeon 5600 HD? AMD’s support site doesn’t even list the GPU, the closest being the Radeon 5670 HD.

I’d maybe try Windows Update and see if that fixes the driver issue. Also, you should be able to figure out what graphics card(s) you have through the “Device Manager” in Windows. If you do not mind, can you check and see if Device Manager says you have a Radeon HD 5670

Also (as I said) oepngl viewer shows other things which I don't have (or at least my pc does not shows this) but it isn't showing my graphics card (In this case, ATI Radeon 5600 HD). It's GNU[...] which I don't have, idk what's the issue. Idk what to do. Unity runs well, but I don't wanna use it ;P
    **Also godot is insatlled on "D : \" disk and system is on C:**

Unity is probably using DirectX. Can you launch Unity in OpenGL mode? This post on the Unity forum shows how to force OpenGL mode for Unity. If Unity runs okay with OpenGL, then that would confirm that at least OpenGL is usable in some form.

Its possible. I looked up the drivers for your graphics card, and I didn’t find anything. Are you sure your graphics card is a Radeon 5600 HD? AMD’s support site doesn’t even list the GPU, the closest being the Radeon 5670 HD.

DxDiag.exe says 5670 but device manager 5600

Well, GNU is related to Unix operating systems (Wikipedia), so I’m not sure why it is happening there. Maybe you installed the Linux driver instead of the Windows one? That might explain the BSOD.

I have only windows 7 on my PC, and I'm 100% sure, that I downloaded drivers for windows 7 64 bit (coz I have 64 bit version)

About unity, I'll check it tomorrow.
    Thx for help. But even cs2d (a game similar to cs 1.6 but it's 2d) it now lags. Even after changing Opengl render to directx it still lags so Opengl viewer may say true, that I have other renderer which I can't see normally. If nothing help, that mean I have to buy new PC :(

R.I.P me

@Cnnn666 Games said:

DxDiag.exe says 5670 but device manager 5600

So maybe the driver you installed is for the HD 5670, and not the 5600. That would explain the crashes and potentially could even explain why OpenGL is no longer working.

I have only windows 7 on my PC, and I'm 100% sure, that I downloaded drivers for windows 7 64 bit (coz I have 64 bit version)

That's fair, I was just explaining what the GNU means. :smile:

About unity, I'll check it tomorrow.

Sounds good! That would help pin down if the issue is on the Godot side, or the OpenGL side.

Thx for help. But even cs2d (a game similar to cs 1.6 but it's 2d) it now lags. Even after changing Opengl render to directx it still lags so Opengl viewer may say true, that I have other renderer which I can't see normally. If nothing help, that mean I have to buy new PC :(

Well, if the drivers are causing the issue, it makes sense that it would affect other games. That said, I'm sure it is fixable, it is just a matter of figuring out what is going on and trying various possible solutions until something works.

So maybe the driver you installed is for the HD 5670, and not the 5600. That would explain the crashes and potentially could even explain why OpenGL is no longer working.

I asked on another forum (not to Godot, it's also polish forum about technology) where can I download newest drivers for 5600 HD, people sneered me, I have to download 5670 coz 5600 is a series from 5600 to 5699 and newest drivers are 5670, but DxDiag shows 5670 HD, actual drivers version, and device manager 5600 HD, I'm confused right now.

Well, if the drivers are causing the issue, it makes sense that it would affect other games. That said, I'm sure it is fixable, it is just a matter of figuring out what is going on and trying various possible solutions until something works.

I changed rendering in cs2d from Opengl to directx, still lags, may it be because of drivers? During installation, monitor was bugging and it resulted in bsod. When I was restarting it, I choosed safe mode. I waited a bit. I entered into device manager, and change from installed drivers to older. I think this don't deleted all files, and because of that, drivers may be corrupted or bugged and replacing things, example, file1a can replace with file1b where file1a is old drivers and file1b new graphics. System may changed that so drivers are not working properly which have even sense, coz device manager shows 5600 and DxDiag 5670. What to do in this case?

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 2,898Admin
    edited July 13

Radeon HD 5670 is the graphics card model not the driver version. And as I've said before, use DDU to properly clean out the graphics driver. And this is crucial, you then reinstall from a freshly downloaded installer.

@Megalomaniak said:
    Radeon HD 5670 is the graphics card model not the driver version. And as I've said before, use DDU to properly clean out the graphics driver. And this is crucial, you then reinstall from a freshly downloaded installer.

Then okay, but how can I update my drivers? Everytime when I'm running fortnite, it shows pop-up that there's newer version avaible for my drivers but I can't find that drivers or other than this on amd site.

I imagine AMD has something akin to Nvidia’s GeForce launcher thingy. I think AMD’s software is called Adrenalin. Maybe try installing that and see if it can install the driver?

@TwistedTwigleg said:
    I imagine AMD has something akin to Nvidia’s GeForce launcher thingy. I think AMD’s software is called Adrenalin. Maybe try installing that and see if it can install the driver?

I install it when I turn on PC. Thx

So. I was reading about radeon software and my graphics card is not supported, what to do now?

Hmm, the only other thing I can think of is to let device manager handle it for you. If you select the graphics card in device manager, right click it, open its properties, select the "update driver" button, and then select "search automatically for updated driver software". That way, Windows 7 will try to find the driver for you. This guide on LifeWire shows most of the steps (ignore step 0, and diverge at step 7 to use automatic driver updates).

Outside of that, I'm really not sure, sorry!

@TwistedTwigleg said:
    Hmm, the only other thing I can think of is to let device manager handle it for you. If you select the graphics card in device manager, right click it, open its properties, select the "update driver" button, and then select "search automatically for updated driver software". That way, Windows 7 will try to find the driver for you. This guide on LifeWire shows most of the steps (ignore step 0, and diverge at step 7 to use automatic driver updates).

Outside of that, I'm really not sure, sorry!

I tried that 2 times but nothing. Windows can't find drivers. Also, minecraft is using OpenGL rendering right? If I can run mc 1.15.2, the problem is by godot, If can't, graphics card. Earlier I was able to run mc 1.15.2 so, I'll try.

edited July 14

Flip it
    It's coz of graphics card, I can't run minecraft. Error same as in godot, opengl not supported. Now what to do? Re-install system? Idk how to remove properly drivers....

I'm raged now

While I understand the situation is frustrating, please note that we have a rule on the forums against cursing, even if it is censored via replacing letters. I have edited your post accordingly. Please consider this a warning.

As for how to handle the driver situation, I'll do some research and get back to you on what I have found.

Okay, based on what I have found, you should be able to roll back the driver and revert it to the one you were previously using. According to the Microsoft Support page, you can go to device manager, right click the device, go the properties and then the drivers tab, and there should be an option to roll back the driver. If the button is there, I would try that. If it is not, don't panic, there is almost certainly another way to tackle the issue.

@TwistedTwigleg said:
    While I understand the situation is frustrating, please note that we have a rule on the forums against cursing, even if it is censored via replacing letters. I have edited your post accordingly. Please consider this a warning.

As for how to handle the driver situation, I'll do some research and get back to you on what I have found.

understand, I'm not going to say bad words here.

@TwistedTwigleg said:
    Okay, based on what I have found, you should be able to roll back the driver and revert it to the one you were previously using. According to the Microsoft Support page, you can go to device manager, right click the device, go the properties and then the drivers tab, and there should be an option to roll back the driver. If the button is there, I would try that. If it is not, don't panic, there is almost certainly another way to tackle the issue.

After bsod, I runned safe mode. I automatically opened device manager, and select old version (in this case, 8.173.0.0) but it didn't help. I think windows is using 50% of old drivers and 50% of new so he don't know, what opengl is supported.

Okay, do you have a program called "AMD Catalyist" installed? If you, when you launch it, does it offer any way to update your drivers?

I did some more looking, and it appears that AMD Catalyist 15.7.1 appears to support the Radeon HD 5000 series, of which your card should fall into, based on what I have read from Wikipedia about the device. You can download it here from AMDs website, but I would first double check to see if you have it already.

@TwistedTwigleg said:
    Okay, do you have a program called "AMD Catalyist" installed? If you, when you launch it, does it offer any way to update your drivers?

I did some more looking, and it appears that AMD Catalyist 15.7.1 appears to support the Radeon HD 5000 series, of which your card should fall into, based on what I have read from Wikipedia about the device. You can download it here from AMDs website, but I would first double check to see if you have it already.

Yes, I installed it and from it downloaded drivers. During installation I got bsod.

edited July 14

Did you install in admin mode? Or did you install it as a normal Windows user? It is likely that admin mode is required to install it.

@TwistedTwigleg said:
    Did you install in admin mode? Or did you install it as a normal Windows user? It is likely that admin mode is required to install it.

Welp, I have only 1 user in windows. It's admin user, but I think it has been installed in admin mode.

That's fine, you likely need to install it as an admin. Did you tell it to "run as admin" when installing? If not, I would try installing it with "run as admin" and see if that fixes the issue. It might not work, but it seems like it might be the best chance at fixing the issue.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file