Moving Object

BredemarBredemar Posts: 15Member
in 3D

Hi everyone. I can't find a single lesson about moving an object from point A to point B. Please help me understand how to do this with 3D objects, thank you very much!!!

Comments

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 2,873Admin

Welcome to the forums @Bredemar

A super simple way to move an object from one position to the other is to linearly interpolate (lerp) the position from one to the other. Something like this, for example (untested):

extends Spatial
    export (Vector3) var target_position = Vector3(0,0,0)
    var starting_position
    export (float) var speed = 2

var interpolation_value = 0;    

func _ready():
        starting_position = get_global_transform().origin

func _process(delta):
        if (interpolation_value < 1):
            interpolation_value += delta * speed
            if (interpolation_value > 1):
                interpolation_value = 1
            global_transform.origin = starting_position.linear_interpolate(target_position, interpolation_value)

• BredemarBredemar Posts: 15Member

Hi @TwistedTwigleg. I checked the code, it really works. Thank you very much!!! But can you tell me what each line does?)

@Bredemar said:
    Hi @TwistedTwigleg. I checked the code, it really works. Thank you very much!!! But can you tell me what each line does?)

Sure, I can give a quick overview of what is going on.

Lines 1-6 are just defining the variables we'll need for the movement. The export keyword is used so you can input these values through the Godot editor.

Lines 8 and 9, the _ready function, simply get the global position of the object when it is initialized/ready, and stores it in the starting_position variable. We need to know the starting position so the two points we are using to linearly interpolate with.

In the _process function, lines 11+, we are actually handling the movement of the object. First, we use a condition to make sure that interpolation_value is less than one. This is because if interpolation_value is one or greater, than we have reached the target position and no longer need to attempt to move towards it.

After this condition, we add delta * speed to interpolation_value, which is line 13. delta is the length of time in seconds between each frame, and because games generally run at 60+ FPS, it is generally a small value. By multiplying it by speed, this means that for every second, one value of speed will be added to interpolation_value. This allows us to control how fast or slow interpolation_value increases.

Next, line 14 and 15, we use a condition to check and see if interpolation_value is more than one. If it is more than one, we set interpolation_value to one. We do this because we do not want to go past the target when interpolating.

Finally, line 16, we set the global position (global_transform.origin) of the object. We do this via the linear_interpolate function, which we call on starting_position. The linear interpolate function will mix the starting position and the final position together based on the passed-in weight, which in this case is interpolation_value.
    When interpolation_value is 0 and used in this function, the object's position will be starting_position. When interpolation_value is 0.5, the object's position will be halfway between both starting_position and target_position, and finally, when interpolation_value is 1.0, the object's position will be at target_position.
    So by using linear_interpolate, we can mix the two positions together, and because interpolation_value is increasing every time _process is called, this will slowly move the object from the starting_position to the target_position.

That's how the code works! I probably explained it poorly, but hopefully that helps a bit :smile:

• BredemarBredemar Posts: 15Member

@TwistedTwigleg said:

@Bredemar said:

Lines 1-6 are just defining the variables we'll need for the movement. The export keyword is used so you can input these values through the Godot editor.

Lines 8 and 9, the _ready function, simply get the global position of the object when it is initialized/ready, and stores it in the starting_position variable. We need to know the starting position so the two points we are using to linearly interpolate with.

In the _process function, lines 11+, we are actually handling the movement of the object. First, we use a condition to make sure that interpolation_value is less than one. This is because if interpolation_value is one or greater, than we have reached the target position and no longer need to attempt to move towards it.

After this condition, we add delta * speed to interpolation_value, which is line 13. delta is the length of time in seconds between each frame, and because games generally run at 60+ FPS, it is generally a small value. By multiplying it by speed, this means that for every second, one value of speed will be added to interpolation_value. This allows us to control how fast or slow interpolation_value increases.

Next, line 14 and 15, we use a condition to check and see if interpolation_value is more than one. If it is more than one, we set interpolation_value to one. We do this because we do not want to go past the target when interpolating.

Finally, line 16, we set the global position (global_transform.origin) of the object. We do this via the linear_interpolate function, which we call on starting_position. The linear interpolate function will mix the starting position and the final position together based on the passed-in weight, which in this case is interpolation_value.
    When interpolation_value is 0 and used in this function, the object's position will be starting_position. When interpolation_value is 0.5, the object's position will be halfway between both starting_position and target_position, and finally, when interpolation_value is 1.0, the object's position will be at target_position.
    So by using linear_interpolate, we can mix the two positions together, and because interpolation_value is increasing every time _process is called, this will slowly move the object from the starting_position to the target_position.

That's how the code works! I probably explained it poorly, but hopefully that helps a bit :smile:

Oh, thank you so much. This helped me a lot, I don't know how to thank you)).

@Bredemar said:

@TwistedTwigleg said:

@Bredemar said:

Oh, thank you so much. This helped me a lot, I don't know how to thank you)).

Awesome! And no worries, knowing I have helped is thanks enough :smile:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file