edited June 2020 in Projects

Download from DropBox:
Windows: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2dtz6z8lsvvd84d/HotShots-Win.7z?dl=0
Mac: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v7rx8fx96buv6dz/HotShots-Mac.7z?dl=0
Linux: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2q3h9h5euichb7d/HotShots-Linux.7z?dl=0

For more frequent updates and info, check out Hot Shots Discord server:
https://discord.gg/3AMvdbV

Current Characters:

Name: Silence Shuriken ("Sai" for short)
ModBod: Tenko
Power: Ninja
Arsenal: Nanographene Ninjato & NMG
Hobbies: Ninjitsu, Parkour
Fav Food: Okonomiyaki
Fav Beverage: Matcha
Fav Music: Ninja Pop (N-Pop)
Weight: "A ninja never reveals her secrets"
Hometown: Iga, Japan

Security Footage:

Name: Talon Basalt
ModBod: Gryphon
Power: Earth & Air
Arsenal: Combat Scatterguns & Khopesh Bayonet
Hobbies: Archeology, Geocaching
Fav Food: Sfeeha
Fav Beverage: Apricot Juice
Fav Music: Pharaoh Funk
Hometown: Giza, Egypt, African Union
Weight: "What am I, a museum specimen?"

Security Footage:

Name: Quest Caldera
ModBod: Cherufe
Power: Flame
Arsenal: Pyro-rifle
Hometown: Copiapó, Chile
Hobbies: Soccer, Competitive Shooting
Fav Food: Ghost Pepper Picarones
Fav Beverage: Terremoto
Fav Music: Salsa Fuega
Weight: "A lot. This modbod has stone skin, you know?"

Security Footage:

Comments

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 3,353Admin

All by a single dev or a team? Impressive either ways.

Might want to consider putting it up on itch perhaps, some might be unwilling to download from nondescript dropbox links and it would offer more discoverability among gamers to have it on itch.io, not that it is a demand or anything though. Just a suggestion.

• AzedaxenAzedaxen Posts: 50Member

I tried the Linux version but it instantly closes on startup. :(

This looks amazing though! I absolutely love the character designs.

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 1,231Moderator

Looks cool but the Linux version doesn't work for me either. Just crashes on startup.

I get these errors in the command line:

Godot Engine v3.2.1.stable.official - https://godotengine.org
    OpenGL ES 3.0 Renderer: GeForce RTX 2080 Ti/PCIe/SSE2

ERROR: load_interactive: Condition "err != OK" is true. Returned: Ref<ResourceInteractiveLoader>()
       At: scene/resources/resource_format_text.cpp:1228.
    ERROR: _load: Condition "found" is true. Returned: RES()
       At: core/io/resource_loader.cpp:278.
    ERROR: SceneTree: Default Environment as specified in Project Settings (Rendering -> Environment -> Default Environment) could not be loaded.
       At: scene/main/scene_tree.cpp:2115.
    ERROR: load_source_code: Condition "err" is true. Returned: err
       At: modules/gdscript/gdscript.cpp:806.
    ERROR: load: Condition "err != OK" is true. Returned: RES()
       At: modules/gdscript/gdscript.cpp:2244.
    ERROR: start: Condition "res.is_null()" is true. Continuing.
       At: main/main.cpp:1684.
    ERROR: load_interactive: Condition "err != OK" is true. Returned: Ref<ResourceInteractiveLoader>()
       At: scene/resources/resource_format_text.cpp:1228.
    ERROR: start: Condition "!scene" is true. Returned: false
       At: main/main.cpp:1864.
    WARNING: cleanup: ObjectDB Instances still exist!
       At: core/object.cpp:2071.
    ERROR: clear: Resources Still in use at Exit!
       At: core/resource.cpp:476.

• AcetheSuperVillainAcetheSuperVillain Posts: 36Member

Sorry about the Linux version guys, I don't actually have a Linux system, so I can't really test it. I'm afraid the error log doesn't mean anything to me. Sounds like maybe the pack file is wrong or missing? I saw that the Linux version was significantly smaller than the other two. I'll double check tomorrow.

@Megalomaniak I am a single dev, but I am using some graphics that I bought for the backgrounds (characters are all me) Eventually I plan to sell this game on Steam, so I'll put there as soon as it's ready. I don't know itch.io very well myself, so I'm hesitant to dive into it. Having the Discord server for it is already stretching me a little thin.

This line looks like it may be worth looking into:

ERROR: SceneTree: Default Environment as specified in Project Settings (Rendering -> Environment -> Default Environment) could not be loaded.

Okay, I think I know what that means, but not how to fix it. It sounds like it means that the default camera setting matcap/hdri thing hasn't been included. So I might be able to fix that by using a custom camera matcap/hdri thing, but usually when I mess with that it looks like crap.

Check the project settings where it says. You can probably just set it to the .env you are using for your camera (you may have to go into the camera environment settings in the inspector and save it out as a resource first).

edited June 2020

Update, same link as before, there's now an Upgrade Shop where you can buy improvements.

You can also lose improvements if you take damage during combat, and your shield will deteriorate as it takes damage. Next update will be more enemies or doing more with the level generation.

Hopefully the Linux problem is resolved, I changed the setting to export all files, which works fine for the Windows version.

New Character:

Name: Velocity Verve
    ModBod: Raptor
    Power: Slash
    Arsenal: Double Blade-Launcer SMGs
    Hobbies: Video Games, Action Movies
    Fav Food: Tsuivan
    Fav Beverage: Airag
    Fav Music: Mongol Pop
    Hometown: Baatar Khot, Mongolia
    Weight: "Well, I have hollow bones now, so it's not really fair..."

Background:
    Velocity grew up as a relatively normal girl living in the suburbs of Mongolia's new capital city, but she always dreamed of being a corporate agent, like the heros (and villains) of the VGs and movies she loved so much. Through dedication and effort, Velocity graduated with phenomenal grades and secured an apprenticeship in a corporate security program, where she learned from the best in the business. Now, with an exquisite resume and sparkling recommendations, Velocity Verve makes her way to Advent Frontier, to finally make a name for herself and live out her dreams...

Security Footage:

Same links as before. Download from DropBox:
    Windows: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2dtz6z8lsvvd84d/HotShots-Win.7z?dl=0
    Mac: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v7rx8fx96buv6dz/HotShots-Mac.7z?dl=0
    Linux: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2q3h9h5euichb7d/HotShots-Linux.7z?dl=0

For more frequent updates and info, check out Hot Shots Discord server:
    https://discord.gg/3AMvdbV

• New Characters:

Name: Freedom Evergreen
    ModBod: Jackalope
    Power: Heart
    Arsenal: Maser Magnum & Fencing Bayonet
    Hobbies: Singing, Trick Shooting, Westerns
    Fav Food: Bierocks & Grebble
    Fav Beverage: Whiskey
    Fav Music: Cyber Country
    Hometown: Dodge City, USA
    Weight: "Please! The only way I'd ever get on a scale is feet first!"

Background:
    Freedom Evergreen grew up in historic Dodge City, surrounded by monuments to America's idyllic Wild West. As a young girl, she ran away from home to join a Rodeo Circus. Freedom was a crack shot and fantastic singer, and before long, she had become one of the Circus' main attractions. The Rodeo Circus had always been close to objectionable, but when an unscrupulous corporate overlord bought out the management, the shows became much darker. The same crowds that cheered for young Freedom's songs and trick shots now hooted at the grown woman's burlesque acts and wanted to see her injured in robotic bull fights. When Freedom tried to quit the Circus, the corporate overlord sent goons to capture her, but quick thinking and sharp shooting allowed her to escape. Now, she flees her pursuers all the way to the end of the Earth, Advent Frontier, to see if her shooting skills can earn her a new living on her own terms...

Security Footage:

Name: Murky Lagoon
    ModBod: Hydra
    Power: Venom/Radiation
    Arsenal: Chem-Chucker
    Hobbies: Mud Bathing, Taste-testing
    Fav Food: Catfish Gumbo
    Fav Beverage: Limeade
    Fav Music: Alkaline Jazz
    Hometown: New Orleans, USA
    Weight: "Perfectly healthy"

Background:
    Murky was originally trained as a chemist, and worked on a variety of projects, such as super plastics, gene-hacking, munitions and food science. During the Second Civil War, her home state seceded, but Murky and most of New Orleans remained loyal to the Union. Murky decided to use her chemical skills to serve her country as a secret freedom fighter, sabotaging Neo-Confederate infrastructure, smuggling refugees out of the warzone and synthesizing supplies for Union loyalists. Through it all, Murky dreamed of the day she could stop fighting and work to rebuild her unique city, but after a decade of violence and secrecy, she can't let go. She can't bring herself to trust the people around her, she can't help but calculate how much explosive compound it would take to blow up the shop around the corner, she can't help but imagine Confederate agents closing in on her. The bright smile that hid a secret agent now hides a tortured soul. Now, Murky Lagoon wanders the world to find the life she left behind, and finds herself at the end world, Advent Frontier.

Security Footage:

Looks cool. Good luck.

New version is up, I'm in the process of replacing the old dungeon crawling method with a new battlemap method. Some version of dungeon crawling will appear again, but it won't be the main format of the game. If you liked the old version, you should keep a back-up somewhere, since there's less to do at the moment.

• zoedozzoedoz Posts: 9Member

Would it be possible to get an alt download link not requiring an account?

edited February 22

I guess I didn't realize you needed a Drop Box account to download it. But it will probably be on Drop Box until I feel like there's enough to go Early Access on Steam, and then it will cost money.

Actually I just tried this from another computer, I don't think you have to sign in to DB to download it. DB asks you to sign in, but you don't have to.

edited February 22

New Version is up! Same download link at the top of the page. 4 Stages will appear randomly in the new Survival Mode. Many bugs have been hunted down and ruthlessly eliminated. Including a mechanic that was supposed to exist all along: attacks push things around.

Now that this new battle format is feeling stable, I want to work on adding more enemies, characters and stages, so look forward to that in the next update. Remember to join Hot Shots Discord https://discord.gg/3AMvdbV for more frequent progress updates.

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 3,353Admin

There is no need for a dropbox account, their website design is just(likely intentionally) confusing.