Export problem when embed pck

eyeEmotioneyeEmotion Posts: 83Member

I just want an exe, so I check the Embed PCK. Problem is that most of the time it doesn't embed the PCK so the game doesn't work. I can see it from the size of the file of the exe.

Is this a bug?

Comments

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 2,654Admin

Maybe. BUt just to be sure delete whatever exe you had previously exportend and then try to export with the export settings how you want them again.

• eyeEmotioneyeEmotion Posts: 83Member
    edited May 3

I did that. But most of the time it doesn't help.
    And also something strange, in regards to my keyboard detect problem. I'm noticing it's a problem with the export... and still. I exported it again and again and again... untill I had a working game that didn't have that camera-jitter problem with the keyboards. So when I finally thought that was it... nope. A few hours later I wanted to test my executable again, the one that was working fine. And again those keyboard/camera-jitter problems occur.
    I think it's also the same reason why in the beginning, it used the icons that I had chosen for the game. And after the export it were the icons I selected. But all of a sudden that exe file has the Godot-icon again.

Edit - so I'm getting closer to the weirdness. Exported it again, everything works fine. I close the executable, then I close Godot, then I launch the executable again... and again the problems occurs. So is there something that isn't being exported that make these problems occur when Godot itself isn't running?

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 2,666Admin

Does the game export correctly with the .pck file not embedded into the executable?

edited May 4

Yes, if I don't embed the pck, it exports fine...
    Except for today apparently. Now I get this strange error message when exporting:
    "Failed to export C# project" - Could not find file "path\to\my\project\.mono\metadata\scripts_metadata.release".

Which is odd, because my game is made in GDscript. And I just got this message today. It still exports the game though. But I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it why my game runs fine in Godot itself but seems to be getting "random" bugs with the exported game?

edited May 4

Are you using the Mono version of Godot, or Standard? If you are using the Mono version, maybe try the Standard version and see if it has the same issues? I've never really had this issue before, but it seems strange that it changes like that.

Another thing that might be worth looking into is running Godot with administrator privileges (if you are not already) and/or exporting the project to a folder in documents (or some other read/write ready folder). I do not think either will necessarily help, but given how strange the issue is, I wouldn't necessarily rule it out either.

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 2,654Admin

Might have installed the mono version export templates into the standard godot version and perhaps that is causing the issues?

I'm using the Mono version, since at some point I wanted to be able to use C# (when I get my friend convinced to make the game with me, he's used to C# :) ). I'm a bit "afraid" to open my project in Standard Godot. I started with Standard Godot and when I switched to Mono, I had to restart the project because it caused issues in the project itself.
    By "administrator privileges", you mean "Run as Admin" in Windows?

The export templates I have, were directly downloaded and installed from within Godot Mono itself.

@eyeEmotion said:
    I'm using the Mono version, since at some point I wanted to be able to use C# (when I get my friend convinced to make the game with me, he's used to C# :) ). I'm a bit "afraid" to open my project in Standard Godot. I started with Standard Godot and when I switched to Mono, I had to restart the project because it caused issues in the project itself.

I'd just copy the project folder and then open the copy in standard Godot. Though if you are not using any C#, it should be more or less the same, just with the mono library and stuff added in.

Do you have MSBuild installed? The Godot download page says its required for the Mono version, and maybe without it installed the export process doesn't work due to a crash or error because of MSBuild not being present (though given you are only using GDScript, it shouldn't matter either way)

By "administrator privileges", you mean "Run as Admin" in Windows?

Yup, That is what I was referring to!

I think I have MSBuild installed, because I have that Visual Studio Build Tools installed, as it was recommended if you wanted to program in C# with Godot.
    I copied the project and opened it up in Standard Godot. No export errors there. Tested the game, for now it works, but I'll test it later again to make sure if it remains or not. Is it possible that there is a file-size difference between exporting in Standard Godot and Mono? Pck are both the same size, but the exe from the Standard version is around 5Mb smaller than the Mono-version.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file