What is "Promoted" all about?

SIsilicon28SIsilicon28 Posts: 703Moderator
edited March 31 in Forum Chat

I can understand "like", "awesome", "lol" and "insightful", but what is "promoted" here, and how do you give and receive it?

Best Answer

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 2,629
    edited March 31 Accepted Answer

Good question. It is a reaction introduced by YAGA, the plugin we are using. Based on this FAQ, it seems the promote/promoted reaction is a permission-based reaction. I am not sure how we have it setup here on the forums, but I do not think it does anything one way or another, other than offering a different way to react to a post.

Edit: I think only moderators and admins have give the promote reaction, but I could be wrong. The FAQ says that extra reactions will be gained by "ranking" up, but I think we had to disable because it wasn't working with the rest of the forum.

Edit 2: Double checked, and yeah, only moderators and admins have access to the promote reaction. All it does is makes a thumbs up, but is worth 5 YAGA points, instead of 1 point like normal thumbs up reactions. Outside of that, it doesn't do anything.

Answers

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 2,629Admin
    edited March 31 Accepted Answer

Good question. It is a reaction introduced by YAGA, the plugin we are using. Based on this FAQ, it seems the promote/promoted reaction is a permission-based reaction. I am not sure how we have it setup here on the forums, but I do not think it does anything one way or another, other than offering a different way to react to a post.

Edit: I think only moderators and admins have give the promote reaction, but I could be wrong. The FAQ says that extra reactions will be gained by "ranking" up, but I think we had to disable because it wasn't working with the rest of the forum.

Edit 2: Double checked, and yeah, only moderators and admins have access to the promote reaction. All it does is makes a thumbs up, but is worth 5 YAGA points, instead of 1 point like normal thumbs up reactions. Outside of that, it doesn't do anything.

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 2,607Admin
    edited March 31

We haven't implemented the promoted content module into our forum where promoted topics and posts would appear.

https://blog.vanillaforums.com/product/friday-theme-tip-promoted-content-module

Pretty sure without YAGA only admins and maybe moderators can promote content. But with YAGA if a threshold of promotion reactions is met a post can get to the promoted content module that way, too.

edit: nah, it's confusing but looking into yaga settings it revealed that yaga has it's own thing. So we have it turned off since fitting it into the theme would have been a messy pain, but there is a sort of a community leader board and best of module that could be displayed, and best of the posts that have gotten the promoted reactions would also appear there.

• SIsilicon28SIsilicon28 Posts: 703Moderator
    edited March 31

@TwistedTwigleg said:

Thank you for your response! I did find a sort of "exception" to the moderators n' admins only thing. This user named Kiori was able to give one to another user in this post and they're just a member. Unless they used to be a moderator?

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 2,629Admin
    edited March 31

@SIsilicon28 said:

@TwistedTwigleg said:

Thank you for your response! I did find a sort of "exception" to the moderators n' admins only thing. This user named Kiori was able to give one to another user in this post and they're just a member. Unless they used to be a moderator?

Kiori was an admin and one of the previous owners of the forums, which is probably when the reaction was made.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file