Problem : I can't make a large, big game right now, what to do . . .

jbrooks79jbrooks79 Posts: 1,308Premoderated

I wanted to make this amazing Tomb Raider game, with many levels, all sorts of stuff, but it's too big . . . .

I guess the thing that needs to happen is, I make a small level, with a ' contained ' game-play, and mechanics, finish that, and perhaps use some assets, I need in the big game . . . I need a cave level in the ' big ' game, if I make a little game, with a character, that happens in a cave, would it work . . . .

That way, I can learn from the little game, also finish it, and feel good . . . . But, is that right, does it work . . .

Please help, am very worried . . .

Comments

• SIsilicon28SIsilicon28 Posts: 286Member

The only thing I can suggest is start small. Remember that just because game maybe simple, doesn't mean it's not fun (flappy Bird is a very good example). Think of a game idea that you believe you can achieve within a reasonable amount of time. You're only one person after all.

For example, I made a game in one week where a virus infects other cells called "Micro infection". For something made in 1 week it was pretty decent in the Godot Wild Jam. I even learnt new stuff along the way. :)

• jbrooks79jbrooks79 Posts: 1,308Premoderated

Okay, I know the mods read everything, which is a big help, will keep it short . . .

The idea is, give up on making a massive, multi-level Tomb Raider game, but sort of keep that in the back of my head, while making a single, full start-to-finish game, with a small story, in one of the settings I need in the big game, so I get both, but also practice, something to look ahead to, a little happines . . .

For instance, could make a shooter, isometric-perspective mode 3D, make a game that spawns some assembly-line enemies, like maybe a zombie game, with a main character, it begins with some text-boxes, and then he goes around shooting zombies, in a cave, so I practice for the bigger game, while making a smaller game, I can actually MAYBE manage . . Forget the big games, it just gives head-aches, all the work, it's too big . . . .

What do you think, is that a good idea . . There's another problem, I decide the ideal place to start is 3D isometric, but for the Tomb Raider game I need it to be third-person style, because that will make the climbing more intense, ' feel ' more like it's happening . . . I guess a climbing game isn't ideal for isometric games, as one wants the ' vertigo ' feeling, sort of . . Sigh, I really wanted to make my character, put lot of work into it, really optimized it, to be the NEXT Lara Croft, sort of . . I want to start telling stories in my universe, where I use the sort of knights, angels, werewolves I invented, for fun . . . . Something nice, happy . . . :( <3

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 2,127Admin

@SIsilicon28 said:
    The only thing I can suggest is start small. Remember that just because game maybe simple, doesn't mean it's not fun (flappy Bird is a very good example). Think of a game idea that you believe you can achieve within a reasonable amount of time. You're only one person after all.

I totally second this. I've had several big game ideas that I ultimately had to shelve, simply because the idea was too big for a single person to achieve in a reasonable amount of time.

I have also found that smaller, simpler games can sometimes be more enjoyable to work on. I find it can be relaxing to work on making something small, focusing on making it polished and enjoying the process.

• fire7sidefire7side Posts: 54Member
    edited March 27

Tomb raider is actually a 3d platform game, so starting with some type of platformer would probably be a good idea. Maybe do a 2.5 d, where the character runs and jumps along the z axis or whatever but it's actually a 3d world. You can also add tomb raider type lever puzzles, etc. You could still use your character. Just make it one level to start with. Another simple type game is an endless runner. You just keep running and jumping till you die or whatever.

• KequcKequc Posts: 88Member

I remember you posting a 3d character model here that was very complex for a simple game. You can make a 3d tomb raider type game just keep it simple! You only need a very simple 3d model, few blocks, and 2 or three animations to get started.

Only make it more complicated if it improves the gameplay. Using complex models and animations is way ahead of where you need to be.

I will start small, because that's what I have to do . . My amazing game ideas will have to wait :( They're Really good . . .

I really want to do a 2D game, but I can't draw pixel art, if I had to, no way . . . I admire those games, a lot, have played most of them, but 3D is something I can do right now, and I can make nice prototype 3D characters, if that's what I need, anyway . .

I agree, making a 2D platformer, or 2.5D ( 2D mixed with 3D ? ? ) would be nice, but the stuff I make a 2D drawings in seriously bad, it would end up looking like a bigger failure, than anything I did in 3D, though I want to, actually, very much, love all games, especially 2D . . . It's just been 3D so long, for me, got a Playstation 3 when they came out, I don't really PLAY 2D anymore, as well, almost never, and, bottom-line, I can't draw a nice pixel character, if my life depended on it, I use MS Paint . . .

Anyway, it could be fun if my character was in the game, all the same . . Maybe she can be an NPC, so the character gets introduced, so . .

I want to make a simple level, a game you can play, start, to finish, set in a cave, because I will need to be able to do that later, and I would like an idle animation, a walk animation, and a run animation, and a crawl animation . . Hmm, since I can make almost any character now, with simple clothes on, I guess I could create a new, original character, for such a game, and model that . . Or, use one of the other characters I've made, and try to do that, always wanted to make a male Indiana Jones character, but again, that would require climbing, so I want to keep it simple, and have a nice, COMPLETE game, others can play, when the single level is done . . The idea is to have a fully self-contained story, in that level, sort of, a complete game, with some enemies, maybe some small bugs, or critters, and so . . If I need to get some clothes on my character, I can buy a doll with clothes on it, scan those, and get some nice details, as well . . It's more to get the shape, I can scan some clothes in a 2D scanner, to get the fabric-textures, at least in 2D, hope it won't show . .

I want it to be ONE level, but I want it to have a story, be set in a cave, because I want that, so I can practice making that, and have some of the characters I've made, or an original one, sort of . . . So, you get a full little experience, with a finale, or ending, like a movie . . . :) <3 I mean, so that it has meaning, is more than just a block-model going collecting coins, or stars, and the reach a finish area, I want it to have ' a story ', as well, a FULL game, I think . . .

The biggest problem right now is, the character isn't decided, but the cave is, so it's like the cave is the ' main ' character, that causes problems, for me . . . I need to think about it, get answers . . . It constantly gets more difficult, to make games . . . Brain hurts, must work . . ;) <3

The problem is, now the ' cave ' is the main character, because it's a pre-set thing, and sort of writing a story, for a cave, feels very odd . . . .

Okay, so I made my own super-heroine, original work, called ' Miss Wonderful ', I could make her origin story, where she crashes to earth, lands in a cave, or a mountain, in a big glowing, asteroid, and comes to earth, like a hero, sort of . . All the companies have stories like that, it's all the rage, for some reason, how it started, the ' origin ', their ' birth ' stories, or ' nativities ', I guess . .

I guess all the origin movies we see, Batman, Superman, all sorts, are really just ' birth ' or, baby pictures, in a way, for a super-hero . .

Maybe I could make a small cut-scene, and add a life-bar, by making some planes, and scaling a red planes, or so . . I want to learn to use the GUI nodes, but it switches to 2D mode, so the game doesn't work, it feels bad . . .

I would like a glowing crystal, dancing through space, moving to earth, and landing in a small forest, but will change it to a cave, she wakes up, dazed, and starts her life on Earth, as Ms. Wonderful . .

I know it's broken, doing it that way, and I want to learn the right way, UI is just so cool <3

@jbrooks79 said:
    Maybe I could make a small cut-scene, and add a life-bar, by making some planes, and scaling a red planes, or so . . I want to learn to use the GUI nodes, but it switches to 2D mode, so the game doesn't work, it feels bad . . .

It would be a good idea to learn how to use the GUI nodes. The game will still works with the 2D GUI nodes. It might look like it doesn't work becuase 3D nodes and GUI/2D nodes have separate editors, but they overlay on top of each other when running the game.

It would only it make it harder if you design the GUI system with 3D nodes. What if you want a button? You'd need to manually program the planes to detect mouse and/or key input. What if you need the controls to align properly on any screen dimensions? You would need to manually program margins and anchors; all of which are available in the builtin GUI nodes.

@jbrooks79 said:
    I know it's broken, doing it that way, and I want to learn the right way, UI is just so cool <3

Well that's good to here. You wouldn't wanna cause any more stress by reinventing the wheel. :P

• fire7sidefire7side Posts: 54Member
    edited March 27

What I did for starters a while back was I did a tutorial game and then made an actual game out of it. I think you need to start doing more coding and less story telling from the sound of it. I could be wrong, but it just kind of sounds like you are more on the pre production side of things and not much on the actually coding. It takes time to learn how to code.
    For 2d, I make 3d characters, etc, and just render them with a toon shader as a png so they can be used as a sprite. That's in Blender, I don't know what modeler you use.

@fire7side He uses Blender. :)

Okay, thanks I was worried because it was in 2D mode that it sort of ' broke ' the game, that now it was a 2D game, I tend to think like that, often . . . It was like I was in 2D mode, and was making a 2D game, I didn't ask for . . It seems SIsilicon28 knows some more about it, that it sort can ' combine ' with a 3D game, and also it's a really strong feature set, much easier than making it my-self, though that would work, as well, for proto-typing, the Control nodes give you a lot of flexibility, and CAN be used for making a GUI in a 3D, that works, as well . . It just looks it makes all 3D disappear, not be readable, or the game . . I got scared, real bad . .

A bit autistic, small errors and mistakes worry me, a lot, all, the time . .

It can be used for making a 2D UI on top of a 3D game, why does the 3D disappear then, since I am making a 3D game, not a 2D game, sorry . . <3 <3

edited March 28

@jbrooks79 said:
    It can be used for making a 2D UI on top of a 3D game, why does the 3D disappear then, since I am making a 3D game, not a 2D game, sorry . . <3 <3

The 3D game does not disappear when you launch the game. It disappears in the editor because you are working in 2D mode, which will be rendered on top of the 3D scene. To make working with 2D node easier, Godot "hides" the 3D scene so you can see what you are working on in 2D. When you launch the game, the 3D stuff will still be there when you play the scene.

Okay, I will try and come up with a small story, involving my super-heroine, maybe make a story board, as well, like a comic-book sort of, and then try and make my first game, it's really hard, but I can see it, with my thoughts . . . There are plenty of good games I can get inspiration from, will focus on writing a story, with Ms. Wonderful, that involves a cave, from Oregon . .

Thank you, when it happened I got OCD-depression, got worried . . . A new error, oh no . . . But, I sort of hoped it would just work, and maybe that the 2D would sort of get put over the 3D, like a plane or, graphics, some-how . . . I need more answers, from a good source or, reference . . .

I just need people to tell me things very clearly, and where to look, for SOLID info . .<3

It HAS to be SOLID, ROCK-solid . . Thx . .

Random people online can make mistakes, it worries me . . . I don't know them, maybe it's BAD code, practice . .

Sorry, please just take a little bit more time to explain things to me, a bit more clearly, and it's fine, no worries . . . Thx <3 <3

I can't describe how happy games make me, my company logo, made it my-self, is this . . .

But, it needs to have two hears, or a smiley, I want to show people heaven, love, in a game, with pixels . .

@jbrooks79 said:

Random people online can make mistakes, it worries me . . . I don't know them, maybe it's BAD code, practice . .

Sorry, please just take a little bit more time to explain things to me, a bit more clearly, and it's fine, no worries . . . Thx <3 <3

Well, when you think of it that way, pretty much everyone you meet here on the forum is "random". But if you insist, may I point to GDQuest? It's a YouTube channel with tutorials and such on how to use Godot. I'd say it's pretty solid, but it's up to you to click link and start your adventure.⬇️

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCxboW7x0jZqFdvMdCFKTMsQ

@jbrooks79 said:

Well, that is always a possibility when getting help on the Internet. Besides, what is considered "bad" code or practice may be considered "good" by another. A lot of what is considered good or bad is subjective and depends on the situation.
    Likewise, what is considered a "mistake" is also subjective, and many times you have to make mistakes to learn. What is a "mistake" to one person may be the solution for another. It really depends on what you are trying to do, your experience, your project, and numerous other factors.

What I am trying to say is, because of how programming and game development is, there are many different "good" and "bad" ways to do things, and these labels change based on who you ask.
    That in mind, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If it gets the job done without any project-breaking negative drawbacks, like being too slow to be usable, then it is probably "good" enough, regardless of whether it is considered "good" or "bad" by someone.

However, I digress.

Well, I don't have any super solid references, but here is what I would look at:

I'd check out the Godot Demo Projects repository. Especially the demos in the gui folder. I'd also look at the viewport/gui_in_3d demo, if you are looking to have 3D UI on a mesh in your 3D game.

I'd also recommend going through the Design interfaces with Control nodes, Design a title screen, Design the GUI, and Control the game's UI with code sections in the Godot documentation. They should help show how to use the UI nodes in Godot, which would be helpful for any project using the UI nodes.

There are also a bunch of YouTube tutorials around creating and using UI nodes in Godot that might be worth looking at.

All of the links above are to official Godot demos and documentation. Most of the UI stuff is focused around 2D, but it is entirely usable for 3D games as well, it just depends on what you are looking to do.
    If you want to have a UI overlay in your game, then nothing special needs to be done beyond just using the normal UI nodes. If you want to have the UI floating in 3D space on a mesh, then I'd look at the GUI in 3D demo, as it shows how you can accomplish this.

edited March 28

BTW, before you ask, Godot doesn't have any "official" tutorials (besides the demos), unless you count the ones in the Godot docs, which we have pointed to you before. It's mostly community driven.

You know what, I have an idea! What if we gave you a small idea to make? Sort of like a "Hello World" for Godot. Then as you complete each exercise, it gets more challenge. Would you like that? :)

First, I love GDQuest, he's wonderful, but doesn't do visual script, I look at it, and I'm lost, in 20 seconds, after starting . . . . But, his tutorials are AMAZING, and official docs links to one of his tutorials, so he's solid . . . .

I will read those links, TwistedTwigled, they are official <3 That's where I'll start no-where else <3 :(

I guess I'm slowly realizing that I need to learn many skills, for instance I realized my game was boring, because it has no sounds, I accidentally played a game video ( alone in the dark, have bought it . . ) and, without sound things just feel, well, ' electronic ', sort of . . . So, I also need to learn animation, but I'm sort of happy with my bad animations, right now, any-way . . It feels like I made a game, it just needs a little more, maybe a finish zone, or like a ' You Completed It ' or, ' Finished Screen ' . . I guess I could do that by adding a bigger text-box plane, and sort of not allowing the buttons to be pressed, in that area, ' Congratulations ' . . . .

I would like a tutorial series very much, but it has to be SOLID code, good practice, I would appreciate help from the mods to REALLY make it shine, run splendid, but you seem really hard-core, and I would like that, to spend the time, love being in school, learning new stuff <3 I just has to be visual script, but if someone could learn me also to make it in code, I could learn both . . I want to, code is awesome, real pro <3

You decide, but we probably have to start with visual script, I know the basics, but would like to learn shaders, as they can look incredible, also more advanced features . . Maybe more than one textbook, when one clicks something, so the characters can tell a longer story, I will give some of my characters away for free, for commercial stuff even, if you like the universe, I sort of want to do that, make some games in the universes, finish them, call them the ' official ' versions, and let others have fun, possibly for a 1 - 2 % license fee, for using the world, a little control over the final games, so I know they get used ' properly ', they're heroes . . .

Also, I forget the mods don't have so much time, I'm stuck in a room, with nothing but time, and love talking about games, all the time, every-thing . .

I'd like some tutorials that teach me each node, perhaps a small set, so I know every-thing . . :( <3 <3