Quick question : What are important nodes for making a 3D-game UI . . .

jbrooks79jbrooks79 Posts: 1,308Premoderated

I've really wanted a nice UI in my game, but wanted to ask care-fully, what the right nodes are, to start that whole things, need to get it right . . Any advice would be most welcome, can't make mistakes . . . .

Comments

• SIsilicon28SIsilicon28 Posts: 286Member

@jbrooks79 said:
    can't make mistakes . . . .

Of course you can! That's how you learn. Must be your OCD talking. :P

edited March 26

Well let's see. Before I say anything, have you looked in the official Godot docs yet?
    https://docs.godotengine.org/en/3.2/getting_started/step_by_step/ui_introduction_to_the_ui_system.html

• jbrooks79jbrooks79 Posts: 1,308Premoderated

I want to learn there, but I want to make sure it's 100 %, ABSOLUTELY right, ideally, I'd speak to maybe an angel, a Godot-angel, if possible . . . I will try the official docs, but they're overwhelming, also not ready to make a UI YET, but am feeling the interest, real happy . . . .

Ok, it begins really well, I know I need to learn THE BEST nodes, no mistakes . . .

The five most useful control nodes to build your games’ interface

That's exactly what I want, from EXPERTS that don't make mistakes, at all . . .

Okay, I'm looking there, but the tutorial is for a 2D game, I tried following, and it switched to 2D mode, and the 3D disappeared . . . There's also a link to GDQuest, in official docs, does he work for Godot, he seems really nice, would like to be able to just learn from him, so I don't spend SO MUCH time here, looking for the Perfect answers, to things . . That said, it's a really nice place, and people here know some HARD-CORE stuff <3 I just wish I didn't have to worry about tutorials not being bad, learning BAD CODE, it would really hurt . . . . :( :(

@jbrooks79 said:
    That's exactly what I want, from EXPERTS that don't make mistakes, at all . . .

You think experts make no mistakes at all!? You are sorely mistaken sir!
    Everyone makes mistakes; even the ones who are proficient at a particular task. It's there mistakes that make them experts. You will mess up my friend. Trust me. That's how you get better. The only way to make no mistakes at all is by doing nothing at all.

edited March 26

@jbrooks79 said:
    Okay, I'm looking there, but the tutorial is for a 2D game

UIs are built in 2D, so get used to it. 3D or not, most, if not all graphical user interfaces use 2D elements for users to interact with. I suggest you learn how to make a 2D UI, 'cause you need that for any game.

edited March 26

@jbrooks79 said:
    I want to learn there, but I want to make sure it's 100 %, ABSOLUTELY right

Even if it's not %100 right, you could learn something from there one way or another. In my opinion, the best way to learn how to use Godot, or anything else, is to combine your experiences with those who also have experience. Which means taking chances, making mistakes, and getting messy code!

In fact, that's the reason I believe this forum exists! To share experiences with Godot, with one another, so that we may all learn together. :) :)

I hope this didn't come off as ranting...

Just talk to me a bit differently, be slow, refer to official documentation, explain it's done the right way, and it's the best node to use, I'm fine . . . .

Anyway, I needed to explain that, so I don't seem rude, don't want to . .

No that's ok. I should've kept your condition in mind when posting those. No harm done though, right? :)

No, especially when you say so, I trust you . . . . ;) <3 <3

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file