Categories for other languages

maurehagomaurehago Posts: 4Member

Is it possible to create categories for users of other languages?
I am thinking, for example, of a category for German-speaking users, or Spanish, French or other languages.

Answers

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 2,608Admin

This would require moderators we could trust to moderate them. It's easier to maintain this forum as an international one and stick to English however.

Under General Chat there is a sub category for usergroups though and We have made the decision that it is OK for users to make a topic there in another language to advertise a community dedicated to that language or to organize local get togethers for users from the same locality.

• maurehagomaurehago Posts: 4Member

Thanks for the quick reply.

I asked because there is an effort to bring all of the official Godot communities together.
    https://godotengine.org/article/call-volunteers-organizing-regional-communities

Therefore I thought that it would also be nice if there was an opportunity in the official forum to implement this idea of bringing the communities further together

As it currently looks, it is probably better that each community has its own forum, apart from the official one.

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 2,629Admin
    edited March 7

@maurehago said:
    I asked because there is an effort to bring all of the official Godot communities together.
    https://godotengine.org/article/call-volunteers-organizing-regional-communities
    Therefore I thought that it would also be nice if there was an opportunity in the official forum to implement this idea of bringing the communities further together

Technically, we are not the official Godot forums, but rather the (officially acknowledged) Godot community forums.

The forums here are run entirely by the Godot community. Everyone on forum staff are volunteers from the community who willing donate their time and energy to help run the forums. I am super grateful and thankful for all the help everyone on forum staff provides, but ultimately we are all just community volunteers. The Official Godot team does not run, support, or oversee the operation of the forums.

I'd love to help bring the Godot communities together, and I think the forums could be useful in providing a platform for discussion, but we currently do not have the staff or resources to moderate forum posts written in languages outside of English.

As it currently looks, it is probably better that each community has its own forum, apart from the official one.

Having a separate forum may be the best way to go. Please do not hesitate to share links to said forum(s) here on the forums if you want, I'm sure Godot users here on the forums would appreciate it!

Also, I would reach out to the #godotengine-regional IRC channel and see about coordinating forum linking/creation for different Godot community forums. I do not know what plans they have, but it may be that they have something in the works.

Thanks for the detailed answer.
    You are doing a good job for your forum.
    I am a moderator of various discussion groups myself, so I know how difficult it is sometimes.
    That's why I understand your answers.

I always thought that this is a kind of official forum for the Godot engine, because it is the only forum listed on the Godot homepage.

I speak extremely poor English myself, and a lot of the Godot communities and developers out there do the same.

It would have been nice to have a point of contact for different people, but I understand that it is very difficult to manage.

Anyway, thanks for the replies

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 2,608Admin
    edited March 7

To be clear though, we are not against the idea, it's just that so long as we don't have moderators already on staff who would be able to moderate a specific language board/category we can't go ahead with its creation, since we want to avoid a spot of total anarchy here.

That is to say, if we had someone willing to join as moderator with the interest of having a specific language or region sub-forum here to moderate and help with some moderation of the main boards first to earn some trust then there's no reason per say for us to be unwilling to accommodate it.

TL;DR: If we get volunteers to moderate such sub-forums then, yes, this can be done.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file