Racing game - TrackMaster: Free For All Motorsport

SaitodepaulaSaitodepaula Posts: 18Member
edited 3:10PM in Projects

First trailer for my first game: TrackMaster: Free For All Motorsport!

TrackMaster is an all-terrain, all-vehicles, physics based racing game coming for PC: play whatever way you want, in any kind of track and event, with any vehicle!

This is a game about racing the way the player wants, with any vehicle the player chooses. Choose from the camera style to playing single player or local multiplayer, to the race type or... not racing at all, the idea is to just make fun stuff with a vehicle!

The game is still in very early development phase, so I hope to publish more videos soon showing game modes, vehicles and tracks!

Designing the tracks in Blender:

Follow the game:

Website

Youtube

Twitter

Instagram

Tags :

Comments

• fire7sidefire7side Posts: 54Member

Good start.

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 651Member

Physics look pretty functional. Graphics could be improved, but definitely a nice start.

• SaitodepaulaSaitodepaula Posts: 18Member

@cybereality said:
    Physics look pretty functional. Graphics could be improved, but definitely a nice start.

Thanks, physics is something I wanted to have this sense and feel of weigth to the vehicles, from the beginning. As for graphics, there is a lot to do!

Local multiplayer with 4 player split screen working!

Presenting the tracks: Freestyle Arena!

Make as many tricks as you can in 2 minutes: back flips, front flips, two wheels and so on!

• disemqdisemq Posts: 21Member

hey! you should include a track editor!! looks nice!

• UnityfugeeUnityfugee Posts: 3Member

Hi, do you use physics joints?

edited March 30

@disemq said:
    hey! you should include a track editor!! looks nice!

Definitely on the feature list for the complete game!

@Unityfugee said:
    Hi, do you use physics joints?

Yes, Generic 6DOF Joints.

If you want more details, see here. Of course, feel free to ask anything else more.

• UnityfugeeUnityfugee Posts: 3Member

How did you set up the joints and rigidbodies to make them stable - ie keep the chassis from forcing the wheels through the floor and setting the stiffness and damping to keep the car from bouncing uncontrollably ?

• eyeEmotioneyeEmotion Posts: 17Member

Hi,

are you using VehicleBody? What do you use as a collision mesh?
    I made mine with VehicleBody and everything worked great in a basic way.

Today I tried adding a track I made in Blender (and collision shape with it) and my car isn't even to get up the hill for some reason ( https://youtu.be/tnVq8yY4H1A )

edited 12:46PM

@Unityfugee said:
    How did you set up the joints and rigidbodies to make them stable - ie keep the chassis from forcing the wheels through the floor and setting the stiffness and damping to keep the car from bouncing uncontrollably ?

Differently from the VehicleBody class, using only rigid bodies, the chassis won't force the wheels through the floor if it is too heavy, the chassis will only "sit" on the ground and the wheels won't be able to move. That's one of the reasons I'm not using VehicleBody class, I didn't like how the wheels went through the ground and other objects. This fact was too obvious with big wheels (the monster truck).

I'm planning on releasing the vehicle setup as open source in Github, it's just not good enough I think. While I don't do this, here are some pictures.

Some important notes:

1. The 4 6DOF joints have the same setup.
    2. What does the trick are UPPER and LOWER DISTANCE on LINEAR LIMIT Y, and STIFFNESS and DAMPING, on LINEAR SPRING Y. Stiffness and damping are proportional to the chassis weight and can be measured in the same units, although it is not documented, I found it by trial and error. The monster truck chassis weight is 4000, so each wheel has to be able to support more or less 1/4 of the chassis weight, and the key property here is stiffness, that's the reason for a value of 1000.
    3. Don't forget to set CAN SLEEP on each of the wheels to FALSE.
    4. The wheels have a weight of 300 each.
    5. Angular motor on the X axis of each of the 6DOF joints gives the traction for car movement.
    edited 12:43PM

@eyeEmotion said:
    Hi,

are you using VehicleBody? What do you use as a collision mesh?
    I made mine with VehicleBody and everything worked great in a basic way.

Today I tried adding a track I made in Blender (and collision shape with it) and my car isn't even to get up the hill for some reason

I'm using a custom solution of only rigid bodies and 6DOF joints, see my answers to @Unityfugee above. I think that for a regular car, or race car, the vehicle body is good. But for big wheels or off-road vehicles, there are too many limitations (when I started my prototypes, in 3.1 there was no per wheel steering nor traction, but even now, it's not what I'm looking for).

About the collision mesh, I'm using the default Godot shapes: cyllinders for the wheels, and combined cubes for the chassis. I've found out that using trimesh collision was unstable for the wheels, and not necessary for the chassis/body.

About your track, your car didn't have traction enough to go uphill, or there was no collision with the track?

I've seen your video before, it is looking nice!

First post updated with some of the tracks being made!