How to use or access more than one UV map?

S_28S_28 Posts: 5Member

Hi!

I have captured several materials in different textures, which correspond to a specific UV map of a 3D object (because this prevents me from working with many materials, and not having to capture a single texture of a large resolution), I want to know how to assign in a material to which specific UV map corresponds to each texture.

In the VisualShader editor of Godot I have only been able to access or assign two UV maps: UV, UV2. In Blender you can do this by adding the UV Map node in the Shader Editor and choosing which UV map the texture belongs to. In Unreal Engine with the TextCoord node adjusting the Coordinate Index.

Please I hope you can help me, maybe it can be done through code, if you know how to please explain to me

Thanks in advance
Sorry if I have grammatical mistakes

Best Answer

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 2,618
    Accepted Answer

I could be wrong, but I believe Godot only supports 2 UV channels. I think this is a design choice and/or a limitation of OpenGL. That said, I haven't really looked into using more than a single UV channel in Godot, so it may be possible to access more than 2 channels.

I did a quick Google search, and in this GitHub issue from 2017 it is stated that Godot only supports 2 UV channels, and more than that is "unsupported". Things may have changed since 2017 though.

Answers

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 2,618Admin
    Accepted Answer

I could be wrong, but I believe Godot only supports 2 UV channels. I think this is a design choice and/or a limitation of OpenGL. That said, I haven't really looked into using more than a single UV channel in Godot, so it may be possible to access more than 2 channels.

I did a quick Google search, and in this GitHub issue from 2017 it is stated that Godot only supports 2 UV channels, and more than that is "unsupported". Things may have changed since 2017 though.

• S_28S_28 Posts: 5Member

Thanks for your prompt response TwistedTwigleg

Don't you know if this changed with the inclusion of other formats to import in version 3.2?

Or is it something that influences regardless of the format in which a 3D object is imported?

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 2,618Admin

I think, though I am not positive, that the UV channel limit is tied to the rendering of the 3D models, so probably the format doesn't change the UV channel count. That said, I'm not positive and others who are more familiar with this kind of thing may know better.

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 927Moderator

What is it that you are trying to accomplish with this setup? Maybe there is an easier way.

• SIsilicon28SIsilicon28 Posts: 703Moderator

I mean, if you're willing to put your UV map in the object's vertex color data, then you can technically achieve "3" UV maps. We could take a step further and store the UVs in bone weights. Godot supports up to "4" weights so that's an additional 2 UV maps worth. But yeah. Those are just workarounds.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file