In a few minutes, you got rocks . .

Part 1 :

Part 2 :

Part 3 :

Comments

• jbrooks79jbrooks79 Posts: 2,241Premoderated

Part 4 :

Part 5, importing into Godot :

Part 6 : Final version, download to Blender files in description, and . . : https://gofile.io/?c=TSEzRF

edited February 26

It's basically, if you move the ' rocks ' up and down, because of global coordinates on the displacement modifier, it ' morphs ' the voronoi pattern, so you get, effectively, infinite rocks . .

If one moves the rocks a bit up, they change shape automatically, into new rocks, as many as one wants, <3 :) :)

Watch the last tutorial ( part 6 ), to make sense of it, one just ' moves ' the rocks, and they ' change ' into other rocks, in the computer . . <3

Now, after you made the rocks, you want to BAKE the high-poly rocks ( increase sub-divisions, it's easy ), and bake them to a lower poly version, make a CTRL+C copy, and reduce sub-divisions, and this is how . . .

Here's a quick video, about how I do it, it's not very complicated . . .

However, there are some mip-map errors like from before, and I don't know how to make them go away, sadly . .

Zoomed out, it's hard to see, also with a diffuse, albedo it's hard to see, from an isometric game . .

Here's the model, without normal map . . .

• wombatstampedewombatstampede Posts: 175Member
    edited February 26

Honestly, I didn't do that yet so I may be wrong.

That normal map is a texture and it uses the mesh UVs?

How are the faces UVs mapped/unwrapped to your (normal) texture?

It looks fine in the video (values are repeated a bit on outside edges of the UVs so they don't abruptly change). Is it exactly the same on your texture/UV?

I am asking because this looks like i.e. the faces are mapped to the normal texture like they are not adjacent.

I think the UV's were adjacent here, the problem is a flaw in the normal map, the UVs are correct, but the normal map has pixelated effects near UV edges, and that's what happens . .:( <3

Part 1 :

Part 2 :

Pictures

With texture on . .

edited February 27

How it looks, a little different . .
    Added some rocks, to cover up holes, so on . . .

It's the same as the rock-making stuff, add a displace modifier to a plane, but sub-divide it, so the surface ' flows ' like a voronoi, under glocal coordinates, so moving it changes the look completely, for more modules, stones . .

Put some grass in . .

My level, right now <3

Using CTRL+D ( Duplicate ) to make many copies of the wall, it's easy, fun . .

Changing the ' first ', ' second ', and ' third ' voronoi texture parameters, adds more detail . . .

Last, added some free rock textures, normal map, roughness, albedo . . .

I updated the tutorial, now it really works . . .

• <3

Okay, had problems making it work, it was because the UV's were not aligned to the pixels, after making a Lightmap UV unwrap ( instead of normal Unwrap, or SmartUV unwrap ), had to enable ' Snap to corner of pixels ) in UV settings, under snap, and hit ' g ' once, then press left, or just move them a little, then all selected UV's snap to pixels, and normal maps look good, in Flat shading . .

Video about it, also remember to set normal map to ' non-color data ', when creating the images, for the bake . . .

Here's a quick method, for making any human mesh, in 3D, that's very efficient, and works . . .

Part 1 : Base Mesh

Part 2 : Boolean and early work

Part 3 : Retopo, good hand topology, arm topology <3

Part 4 is being made, retopo legs, feet . .

In 2 - 3 hours, you have a nice 3D model, of a human being . .

Part 5 will be adding eyes, nose mouth . .

Here's part 4, legs, and feet . .

All perfect edge loops, going around character . .

More pictures . . .

Download : https://gofile.io/?c=rH50bY

It can easily be shaped, to follow a reference art . . .

<3

Okay, I got a lot complains, about models being nude, so I added a few loop-cuts, the arms, and gave a few clothes, now looks human . . .

Here's a video, about how to make the clothes . . . <3 :) :)

I improved the method a bit, here's a picture, from the process . .

Blender download file . .

https://gofile.io/?c=6peCbc

Obviously, he doesn't have a face, but this is a good character, for prototyping games, getting started . . .

See the videos for how to retopo it quickly, in about 45 min - 1 ½ hours . .

Low-poly God . . :D

You can use Paint 3D ( comes with Microsoft ) to make some nice grass, leaf, other stuff, flame textures, in like a few minutes, and they work right away . . Easy, no hassle, very fun . . . .

A transparent leaf made in 2 minutes, works immediately in Godot . . . .

Fire, smoke . .

Just click ' transparent canvas ', and start making graphics, pixels . . Save a .png, copy into Godot, it works . . . <3 <3

Fire particle system, in 3 - 4 minutes . .

You can make basically anything, at least at prototype level, this way . . <3 <3

• KequcKequc Posts: 114Member
    edited March 22

I'm not sure I understand the problem you were solving. All graphics programs can save a transparent png.

Needing to set a flag in Godot in order to have a transparent material is a little bit strange until you understand why it's optimised that way. But overall you're just applying a material to a mesh aren't you?

Yes indeed, but I never knew how to make something transparent, in some programs I knew how to use, that's all . . It's nice to know one can use simple, cheap programs at least for the prototype stage . . . :(

Also, MS Paint can't, and it's not being developed, my favorite program . . .

• KequcKequc Posts: 114Member

Oh, I wasn't sure that's all.

Anyway, it's just to get some quick, nice transparent textures, for fire, smoke, grass, leaves . . .

It will look shining, terrific . . .