Parkour Game Prototype

cyberealitycybereality Posts: 1,049Moderator
edited January 26 in Projects

Here is a prototype I made in Godot with Blender and GIMP on Ubuntu.

Very early, this is with a few weeks of work, but already the controls are pretty fun.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Tags :

Comments

• novaleafnovaleaf Posts: 83Member

nice demo! If you haven't seen this before, it might be interesting: https://github.com/etodd/Lemma it's a parkour game written in xna.

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 3,103Admin

Looks really cool @cybereality!

Out of curiosity, are you using raycasts to detect parkour elements? Or are you using another method? I’ve used raycasts for a prototype project of mine but my transitions were not very smooth and I had to use a number of raycasts to determine what part of the environment would be suitable for what action.
    Regardless of how you are doing it, it looks great!

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 1,049Moderator

@novaleaf Thanks. I bought Lemma but I haven't played it yet. Didn't realize they open-sourced the code. I'll have to give that a look. Nice find on the link.

Thanks, @TwistedTwigleg. I'm using multiple ray casts in different directions to detect invisible collision shapes. Works well for a prototype, but I may have to rethink this method as the world grows larger.

• HippoHippo Posts: 121Member

The movement looks really smooth and fluid, keep up the good work!

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 3,103Admin

@cybereality said:
    Thanks, @TwistedTwigleg. I'm using multiple ray casts in different directions to detect invisible collision shapes. Works well for a prototype, but I may have to rethink this method as the world grows larger.

Ah! That makes sense. In the prototype I made I decided (for better or worse, probably worse) to use the physics environment the character interacts with, which makes determining if a surface is suitable for certain actions difficult. Using invisible collision shapes sounds like a much easier to manage system.

Thanks for explaining and best of luck with your project :smile:

just thinking out loud, an alternate idea for parkour detection: an invisible bounding sphere around your character, and brute-force loop through all "parkour elements" it intersects to decide what your character interacts with (Based on your characters velocity, orientation, button presses, etc)

also, @cybereality are you going to do this 1st person or 3rd person? If you do 3rd person I think it would be a good idea to build a character system that blends animations which include root translation with procedural root transforms. (so not using one or the other, but both). I have a plan to research the topic myself, once I get my world generation prototyped.

• emo10001emo10001 Posts: 152Member

@cybereality Nice! I really like the movement. Looks good!

It's a first person game but I will eventually be adding a player model. I'll probably need some blending and manual IK but I haven't got that far to test it.