Beginner at Godot. What to learn?

DevinationDevination Posts: 1Member

Good evening fellow developers,

I am completely new to Godot and new to the C# language, which I heard can be used in this engine. Where should I start as far as using the application is concerned? Do I have to know both C# and Godot's Script in order to use this application?

Are there tutorials available exactly how to use Godot, as well as a in-depth reference material(API)?

Any also on Animation and Artwork?

Tags :

Answers

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 927Moderator

Hello and welcome!

I would recommend starting with GDScript as a beginner. It will be somewhat easier to learn and support is very good in the engine (built-in IDE, code highlighting and completion. etc.). You don't have to use C#, in fact it comes as a separate download and I would say you can ignore this if you are starting out and just download the normal version of the editor.

The Godot docs are here. I would recommend reading all of these articles, but feel free to click around and search afterwards.
    https://docs.godotengine.org/en/3.1/getting_started/step_by_step/index.html

You can also buy the book. It's written by one of the creators of Godot and is very good for beginners.
    https://www.amazon.com/Godot-Engine-Development-Hours-Yourself-ebook-dp-B07BFDQFL9/dp/B07BFDQFL9/

Cheers.

• jbrooks79jbrooks79 Posts: 2,241Premoderated

GDScript sounds like a bit weird, but it's a programming language that was designed for the specific goal of making games, C# coding isn't made for updating a picture on the screen, calculated in 3D, every second, for maybe 60 frames . . It CAN do that, but GDSCript was intentionally made from the beginning, to do one thing . . Run games . . . So, it's not a bad coding language to learn, they only say if you need some hardcore features, you will have to use C#, but I don't think you'll need that as a beginner, not for many years, stuff such as changing the engine, very complex, particular functions, etc etc . . GDScript is fast, when making games, and it's fun, simple, a good coding language to learn, especially, for making games . .

Now, Godot also has Visual Scripting, for complete newbies, like myself . . .

That means you don't have to learn coding, at all, just connect the boxes . . Unreal has that too, and some say it's the best in the world, but Godot works very well, but some of it becomes quite complex, for the more advanced stuff, maybe Unreal is better . .

In terms of graphics, for your first 2 - 3 games, as a single developer, Godot will do just fine, and with the coming support for Vulkan, it will be seriously competitive, for a community-driven game engine . . Try taking a look at these examples, from Godot, and see if this is enough . . Godot is extremely user-friendly, it has the best documentation I've ever seen, and Visual Scripting is well done, really well executed . .

I think you'll like Godot, and if you become active in the community, you might be able to ask the developers to make a feature, or over time have specific things you need added, if you're lucky . . Last, Godot is free, and you never have to worry about pleasing a boss, above you, or to only say what he wants, they don't really censor you here, other than being reasonable, decent, to others, in the games . . No grotesque violence, no evil sexual things, keep it decent . .

If you click on the ' LEARN ' tab at the top, you have access to the engine documentation . . It basically lists each function, or ' thing ' you can write in code, that makes your game run, describes what arguments it takes ( maybe a vector or, some text ), what it outputs ( the function determineplayerangle() might return a value between 0 and 360 ), so it's all documented, the only problem is, there are only so many Godot users, and only so many tutorials, so you have to learn some things on your own, that's the down-side . . But, if you feel generous, you could upload a tutorial yourself, sometimes later, who knows . .

Where should you get started ? Decide if you're an artist, or a hard-core coder, a nerd . . If you are more into making the art, telling stories, that stuff, start with Visual Scripting, so you don't have to code . . If you don't mind coding, can keep up, there are many more tutorials about that, on the internet . .

You should start by telling us what kind of game you want to make, since that helps other people tell you which direction to go . . In the end, making a game is a process, and you have to learn the paths that are right for you, first . . For me, I thought I wanted to learn coding first, so many things, but over time I've found the best thing for me was to finish my first character in 3D, so it looks nice, having done that, I'm more excited about using the engine, instead of just starting coding . . The best answer is, you'll learn a little every day, if you just try, put in effort . .

Good luck, take care . .

J. Brooks :) <3

• KequcKequc Posts: 114Member

My first instinct whn I tried godot was to use c# because it is a common language with a wide range of utility. But after playing with it for a while, I found gdscript was just better. Not because it's a more powerful language, just that it was designed with the sole purpose of interfacing with this game engine so it is a lot easier to use.

I am with the rest of the posters and recommend it too. At least to start. +1

edited January 12

A little advice, to get you started to . .

The game has somewhat poor graphics, at default, compared to other engines . . But, just do this, and it looks as good as Unity, almost . .

Enable Anti-aliasing, in project setting, it basically smooths the graphics, and makes it looks smooth . . 2x MSAA was standard in most games ten years ago, it should work, and you can try setting it at 4x, to get really high quality graphics, right away . .

Then, watch this video, for the last details, you can change those settings by creating a new ' WorldEnvironment ' node, adding a new one, or just double-click on this file, in the file system dock . .

Then Godot looks just as good as the other engines, right away, for you . .

The last thing is, Godot has visual scripting, so if you don't know how to code, you can slowly learn the terms, and move gradually into coding, as you want, later on . . You're not required to waste six months learning the engine code, you can start making games right away, pretty damn good ones . . The only real thing here is, Unreal engine also has that feature, but in my opinion it has worse graphics, than Godot, so there . .

And last, the community here is more open, to talking about games, helping you, than anywhere else, probably . .

So, choose Godot, in my opinion, also because you don't have to worry about a company censoring you, or getting in the way, which is nice, relaxing . . Just don't do really gross, violent things in the games, and you can make exactly what you want, when you want . . Good luck, take care . .

Basically, Godot can create AAA quality graphics, almost, and it's very user-friendly, and the community likes to help other people, for free, and they might add a feature you really want, if you ask nicely, politely . . That makes Godot the best game engine in the world, at least to me, that's my advice . .

Last, Godot will get Vulkan support, meaning it will run on a state-of-the-art graphics engine, developed by AMD, just as we speak. That means in terms of performance, it will be close to the other engines, right now it uses OpenGL, which is an old standard, but most games run fine on it, and when you've made your first triple A game, the first level, by then it should have Vulkan, 6 months, maybe a year from now . . The engine will be ready, so don't worry . . . :) The truth is, Godot looks ugly, at the start, but it only takes 1 minute, to make it shine, make it pretty . .

edited January 12

Did a quick test on the frame rate . . In the end, you probably want at least 2x MSAA on, otherwise the engine looks quite bad . . You can change the number, decide the graphics, and when the engine gets Vulkan support, you will probably be fine, no matter what . . . Focus on making your game, creating assets, a 3D world, with game-play takes time, you'll see . . .

I found an article saying 8x MSAA about halves the frame-rate, in Batman Arkham games, but it's worth it, and if you use 2x, you probably won't feel it . . It's for 3D games only, so if you're making a 2D game, you won't even need it . . :)

Godot is the future, you'll see . . .