Does Godot-Blender exporter work for any of you?

ligazetomligazetom Posts: 20Member

Hey,

I just wanted to test out Godot exporter, which "should not" be broken as stated by tutorial on site. However, I am not able to import anything. I made simple model in blender with shape keys, materials and animations so I can test out the exporter, however I am not even able to see the geometry.

I am using godot 3.1.2 and blender 2.81

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 1,086Moderator

I've been using glTF exports and they seem to work fine. Only issue is that iteration is difficult, as the object doesn't seem to be updated when re-importing, but I'll have to investigate further.

• ligazetomligazetom Posts: 20Member

Yeah, there are some issues with reloading stuff, not only regarding resources.

However, is there any reason why .escn has to be exported where project is?
    I'd like to have my exported models in different folder, so this is a little bit annoying.

From what I can tell, all assets need to be in the project folder for Godot to see them.

• justinbarrettjustinbarrett Posts: 178Member

just to be clear, you can move them to the project folder...you don't actually have to export to it....

there are a couple of options to help trouble shooting just off the top of my head..

-1) make sure the object is not transparent
    -2) and this is a big one...check to see if the object and origin are at the center of the scene...many times I imported something and couldn't locate it...simply because it was off in neverland out of view :)
    -3) depending on the mesh, make sure the face normals are correct

these are probably not one of your issues(since the discussion about being in the correct folder)....but in the off chance you or someone else has these issues it may help if they do a search and find this.....

@justinbarrett said:
    just to be clear, you can move them to the project folder...you don't actually have to export to it....

If i try to export it somewhere else I get error, that godot project could not be found and it wont export. So that's what I am saying.

It is the shape keys. Exporting them with godot blender exporter makes the mesh invisible creating a lot of errors upon import in the console. So yea, it is bugged. Gltf export has screwed animations though.

One of the reasons I wanted to try Godot and switched from UE4 is because I thought this Export-Import pipeline is worked out. I was so fed up with .fbx but damn. Was I wrong.

• justinbarrettjustinbarrett Posts: 178Member

in the gltf export dialog make sure your format(in the drop down) is set to "embedded" and not binary or separate files...I have not checked in a while but not only is embedded faster it has also been more reliable.

try this:

export you object to your desktop(you can't miss that right :) )

then locate where your project folder is. You can do that by...
    1) opening Godot(do not open your project)
    2) at the bottom right of the project icon there is a little file tree image and beside that is the directory....
    simply click on the little file tree image.
    -that will open up the correct folder
    3) move the file from your desktop into that folder....

That should be it, when you open your project it should be listed there....if it is...follow these steps.

1) double click the object - you will presented with a dialogue. Simply click "open anyway"
    2) save that scene somewhere inside your game directory with a name that reflects the model or level...they share the same file extension.
    3) let me know how it goes. :)

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 3,001Admin

Pretty sure theres no shapekey support in godot unless they managed to add it in very sneakily and I missed it.

@Megalomaniak said:
    Pretty sure theres no shapekey support in godot unless they managed to add it in very sneakily and I missed it.

Well then, sorry to tell you you definitely missed it. It even works as expected in 3.2 :D. Under MeshInstance node, in the inspector you have Blend Shapes. Thats it. It would be wierd if there was really no support for such basic feature.

Regarding the .gltf export. Exporter is allright. Godot importer on the other hand is not. Shape keys are not working right in 3.1.2 as well as node hierarchy. It all works in 3.2(beta) though, so I switched to that. However, in 3.2 "-colonly" "-convcolonly" flags are not working, so I am currently looking into that :)

That's good to hear. Blend shapes are definitely key.

Well sure, future releases can potentially include anything. :D In all seriousness though I haven't payed as much attention to 3.2, so it's good to know.

They are implemented in 3.0 as well

edited January 6

But I do think they didn't work in some way. Maybe you had to do something to make them work, I don't recall. Perhaps they imported as separate meshes or something. I just have a vague recollection of something not working as expected. If 3.2 fixes that it is great though!

EDit: perhaps I should rather say that if you do figure out how to work with them, please consider writing something up here on the forums so it can be of guidance to others as well. :)

I made some video tutorials for UE4 so if I'll get to know godot better, I might do that, sure.

@Megalomaniak Yeah, I did some searching before and I found some people having problems with glTF blend shapes on Reddit. Looks like there is an open issue ( https://github.com/godotengine/godot/issues/32757 ) but it may be fixed on 3.2 beta 2. I still haven't tested myself, so I was a little worried, but hopefully it's all square by the official 3.2 release.

As I said. Blend shapes are working in 3.2 as expected. There were some problems with indexing vertices. However, 3.2 has other issues.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file