Need Help with Character Design / Concept Art / Character Bio's etc etc ??

jbrooks79jbrooks79 Posts: 278Member

Let me know if you need some help coming up with new things, for a game, I don't mind helping others, and lending a hand, helping . . It's free, and we'll just have fun, do the best we got, that's all . . I'm no pro, but I work hard, and don't mind it . . .

Comments

• jbrooks79jbrooks79 Posts: 278Member

I'm mostly good at making original characters, designs and, concepts . . But, ask me anything, maybe I can do it . .

• Vale-gitVale-git Posts: 101Member

Hi, I'm interested in fantasy tank design theme for my game. It is something that you can enjoy to design?
    For my prototype I'm using a free set from https://opengameart.org/content/top-down-tanks-redux - like lots other people.

Tell me about it, the game, the world . . <3

I'm not really good at designing vehicles, more people . .

If you want a great drawing experience, will help you, get one of these, or a Samsung Galaxy S6 tablet, comes with a pen . .

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Artist12-Pro-Graphics-Drawing-Display/dp/B07VZF7ZC9/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=xp-pen+artist+pro&qid=1578490619&sr=8-4

edited January 8

You can also draw on paper, and the scan it into computer, with a normal 2D scanner, they're the cheapest . . It's an Epson V39 2D scanner, perfect for getting drawings into the computer, with colors, if you have some color pen, and a good set of pencils, and an inker . . <3 75 $$

The XP-Pen drawing tablet screen only works with a computer, but it costs 260 dollars, still much cheaper than a Samsung Tab S6, around 1000 dollars . . :)

ps. XP-Pen has a 12 inch, and a 13 inch, the 13 inch is the best, but it's sold out, right now . . <3

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 340Member

I bought this tablet for $30, also works on Linux.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078YR2MTF/

Unfortunately, it's a little hard to draw on it (I'm not the best 2D artist), but it does help for touching up textures and stuff like that. I think I bought the XP-Pen but I haven't opened the box. Will have to check if it works in Ubuntu first.

Th teme I have in mind is relater to "fantasy tanks".. something between all there examples: =)

edited January 11

Maybe a tank mounted on a dragon . . :) Future, current day, or past days ? One tank looks futuristic, so what setting . .

For medieval tank, I'd make it have wheels, and have a steam-engine . . Hmm, interesting, very fun . . And, it shoots cannon-balls . . .

One could make a small, a medium, a large, and a super-large version, to start with . .

The reason it helps to make a small-medium-large-extra large version is, then you can start saying, for instance, the big one needs two barrels, if you think of the biggest one first, and says, well that obviously has to have to big guns, instead of one gun, then you can start designing that, and it will make more sense what the rest of them has to be . . Once you make one of them, the rest will be easier, because you have created a ' fixed point ', by designing the first . . then it's a matter of distributing the rest of the features, on the smaller ones, for instance . .

Or, you could make a ballista-tank, something like this . .

Two of them, on top of the extra-large tank . . Knowing how make the biggest one, it will make more sense what the rest needs to be, like maybe the medium-sized has to be a flame-thrower tank . . the ' large ' one could be a trampling tank, with archers inside that shoots out through windows, and the small one could have a cannon-ball turret . . . That way, you have distributed the maximum number of features well, and it's more ' sensible ' . .

The game I'm working on is top-down. So all these example are in 3D. My plan is to convert my game in 2.5 and export it in mobile. But as you can understand there are lots of work So I'm looking someone who is in charge all graphical aspect (we can discuss all theme and all kind of selection but at end I will not the one who will make them) . Otherwise the project will take to long.

I like to make stuff for a mobile game, the textures don't need to be complicated . . Have you seen Grant Abbitt's channel, he makes 3D games, and is a good graphics teacher . .

He's got many videos, I think he does what you're looking for, and teaches it quite well, his videos are quite popular, well received . .

My advice is, start by making a sketch, of a direct front, direct side, and direct top view, of what you want, and then color it, then take a camera photo, and get it into the computer, then you can model it yourself . . I prefer to make characters, not really weapons, though they're nice . . . But, if you need a hero character, or a heroine, I'd love to help you get something ready, something good . .

edited January 13

I meant mostly making characters, or maybe a town, or like some concept art, for stuff . . I think Grant Abbitt will teach you everything you need to know, about making mobile-style 3D models, he's really good . . He's British, super cool and, awesome, really like him . . And, he's been making 3D for many years, now specializes in mobile games, making 3D stuff for a company, or some game . . He's pro . . .

That's a really helpful video. He makes it look easy.

He has a drawing tablet, it helps a lot . .

Even with a tablet, skill is a huge part of it, but of course better tools are always nice.

edited January 13

I know, but many artists agree a tablet makes sculpting easier, it just makes it less stressful, painful . . The same work feels less taxing, harmful . . It's also my experience, and a 12 inch, or a 13.3 inch are all you need, they are quite cheap, if you want . . Everyone recommends them, for 3D, art . .

It makes being an artist more easy, less stressful, hard . .

• meuchmeuch Posts: 9Member

I have a tablet but I like drawing with the mouse. I might be the only one that is like that. I'm the odd one when it comes to painting.

@jbrooks79 said:
    I know, but many artists agree a tablet makes sculpting easier, it just makes it less stressful, painful . . The same work feels less taxing, harmful . . It's also my experience, and a 12 inch, or a 13.3 inch are all you need, they are quite cheap, if you want . . Everyone recommends them, for 3D, art . .

It makes being an artist more easy, less stressful, hard . .

LOL.. You are a good seller :) You will take some % from each item sold? Just curious =)
    No offence but this is my feeling.

edited January 14

Not really, the cheapest way is to get a 2D paper scanner, for the PC . . Then draw on paper, scan them in, price 50 dollars, or so . . Or, take a good camera photo, of your paper drawings, as concept art, but it's not ' perfectly ' flat . . My advice is, don't buy bigger than 12 inch, or 13.4 inch, from XP-Pen, since they have lowest response time, then you can draw with pixels, as you please, my take . .

Here's mine . .

If I made money, I'd have to give you some coupon code, like enter JBROOKS to get a 10 % discount, they're just awesome, amazing, worth it, for a geek :)

Samsung Tab cost 1000 dollars, an XP-Pen that's bigger costs less than half, a 2D scanner is the cheapest way, just get some paper, crayons, and you get a 1-to-1 scan, of you paintings, art . . . :D