How to make 1024x1024 textures fit 1 meter cubes . .

jbrooks79jbrooks79 Posts: 2,241Premoderated

So, when I make textures, I like to make them 1024x1024 for instance, because those are old, good numbers, or 512x512, but when I make a 1 meter cube, it's difficult to fit the pixels, and figure out if ten centimeters is what, or how long . .

However, if I make a 1024x1024 resolution texture, and just don't use the last 24 pixels, in either direction, so there's two edges where I ' ignored ' 24 pixels, suddenly there's 1000 pixels, in the image, even if it's 1024, but I only use the 1000 in Blender, which means, there's 1000 pixels, each way, and for 1 meter cube length, that means 100 centimeters, and with 1000 pixels, in the texture, 1 mm = 1 pixel, so if I take a picture of a 1x1m texture, in the real world, I can put it in a 1024x1024 texture, and each pixel = 1 mm, precisely, and there's no difficult conversion, everything fits . .

I have OCD, so these things worry me, a lot . . . :( <3

Comments

• jbrooks79jbrooks79 Posts: 2,241Premoderated

I can also use the last 24 pixels, to have various color palettes, and shrink UV's down, and put them into a pre-set color palette, such as if something in the 3D model must be totally black, I cut that out, make a black area in the ' extra ' 24 pixels, and put those UV-seams there, after they're unwrapped . . Easy fix, had that worrying me for a while, in my mind . . It may be stupid, but it works, 1 cm = 10 pixels then and, so on . .

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 2,887Admin

Those left over pixels, you typically want to have a margin in your textures to help avoid texel bleed anyways. So when you are baking textures there's typically a margin setting somewhere.