Block Rush

BinskBinsk Posts: 18Member
edited July 16 in Projects

Block Rush [beta]
Play it any any of these sites:
Upset Baby Games
Itch.IO
Newgrounds (Supports Newground medals)

Goodness! It has been forever since I actually tried making a game and this is the first actual game I have made using the Godot engine, pong and asteroid clones aside.

So I've wanted to just make a fast-paced high difficulty arcade game for a while and this is what came of it. Apologies for the crap music / sounds; I'm a programmer not a SFX artist / composer. First time for everything. :P

The goal of the game is to climb as high as you can before the lava reaches you. Hitting blocks in mid-air solidifies them as platforms and gives you points and an extra jump. The further you go the more types of blocks / spawning methods the game will throw at you; as well 'powerups' and the like.

The game has a small number of achievements and an unlockable extra game mode. I'm looking for feedback here. If you think the game could do with something more, needs something changed, or whatever please let me know!

Screenshots

Tags :

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 925Moderator

Love the clean look.

It was really hard to play though. I mean, I liked it, but I felt like I was struggling with the controls. When I was moving to the side during a jump, it seemed difficult to land on a specific tile. Also the way it disabled controls when falling was odd to me.

Overall I think the concept is good but maybe find a way to make the controls more responsive and intuitive.

• BinskBinsk Posts: 18Member

@cybereality said:
    Love the clean look.

It was really hard to play though. I mean, I liked it, but I felt like I was struggling with the controls. When I was moving to the side during a jump, it seemed difficult to land on a specific tile. Also the way it disabled controls when falling was odd to me.

Overall I think the concept is good but maybe find a way to make the controls more responsive and intuitive.

Thanks for playing! I appreciated the feedback as well.

The player moves really fast which I assume why it was difficult to land. For the next update I will slow down the player's movement a bit to see if it helps.

As for disabling controls, I couldn't think of a great solution to this. The idea is that you get a double-jump only if you hit dynamic blocks while in the air, otherwise you just get the one and a dash. I also wanted to give the player 'hang time' so they had a second or two to decide where to dash after a jump. I wasn't sure how to "punish" the player for hanging in the air too long or missing a dynamic block and running into a static wall. Because you can't dash and have gravity effect you at the same time (thus, infinite dashing would allow infinite floating in the air) I opted for shaking the screen to signal "you done goofed" and let the player drop to the ground to regain their movement.

I'm open to ideas if you have a better way of handling this as I couldn't really think of one. Maybe I just conveyed the mechanics poorly in the tutorial?

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 925Moderator

Maybe still allow the player to move, but one tile at a time. Meaning you get only the first dash (or second later in the game) but when falling you can move tile by tile with a short cool-down (like 1 second or less) so it doesn't seem like the game is unresponsive.

• BinskBinsk Posts: 18Member
    edited July 16

Have done some minor tweaks to physics and numerous bug fixes. Mostly just releasing an update because I wanted to test a simple online high-score system.

Linking to my site instead of Itch.IO because Itch.IO is giving me problems at the moment. Alright, got it working correctly. Link is on the main page.

EDIT:
    Alright, updated numerous things. Slowed player movement even further, added a 'death' indicator near the lava, you can speed up your fall when out of control by holding "Down", and some bug fixes.

Added support for Newgrounds medals if that is your thing. Only enabled for the version hosted on Newgrounds.