Object/Node based Manual Shadow placement ideas.

Idea is that Creating a shape projection tool that essentially places a shadow where the projected bounding box of the shape hits a surface.

Allowing for much faster shadows as the directions and softness and interactions are all predesided.
This will allow u to turn shadows on lights (off) as calculation is not needed or exclude certain objects from shadow calculation as u already placed it. And you can Manually choose shadow resolution for each object.

Since the bounding box is separate node object you can add as many as u want for adding multiple shadows to an object.

You can control shadow direction with a simple animated bone attached and animate shadow direction. Makes it easy to make animated direction parented to where the light position is.
Tool sliders for shadow falloff and softness, color and darkness amount can be set as well as texture if want added design in the projected shadow.

Since shadow is a node based object basically you can also add physics collisions and all sorts of weird interactions to the shadow itself.

Wondering what community thinks of this idea/ shadow implementation Tool. I believe it would (Greatly)increase render speeds and thus FPS.

Tags :

Answers

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 1,828Admin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_volume

It does have it's downsides though perhaps theres something you can do to solve those now? Never say never i suppose.

• JxHarbingerJxHarbinger Posts: 5Member
    edited November 2019

What I'm suggestion is not shadow volumes as that requires a light source. I meen a completely separate independent node that basically just creates an outline/ curve that's constrained to the surfaces it hits then fills it with a simple color or texture with edge softness and other options. Very simple. probably better to just create a .gif to show the process visually here.

So you mean a projected decal to emulate a 'drop shadow' similar to what exists in unity in the form of cookies then?

• JxHarbingerJxHarbinger Posts: 5Member

Similar to a projected Decal yes but would be Node based in GoDot. With ability to click and add vertex points to the constrained curve defining the outer shadow boundery on the surface. Not strictly stuck to single bounding box shape or texture. Like project curve on surface in Maya. Then its filled with the shadow predefined by slider input options.
    You would be able to do a lot of crazy stuff with animation and object interactions as well because of this. Not to mention being maybe a cheaper dynamic shadow that's not dependent on any light calculations and would be able to be used in both 2D and 3D.

Great, so you can name it ShadowStencil then.