Hello - How to learn Godot ?

I have so many ideas for games, but I'm not sure where to begin, what is best way to learn Godot, I tend to be very political but, I realize that is not always welcome, so I will keep my political, and religious views to myself here . . If I do something wrong please let me know, since I don't fully understand what Godot is, or what it strives to be, I'm watching a stream about on ' Godot engine ' youtube, and it's very nice, but it's not very beginner, it's from a conference . .

Please help, I would like to make free games, and make people happy, if it's possible . .

ps. I see Godot engine, and games look Very nice, I really like it, but one feature that would really make it better for me, to make graphics super-nice, is some form of simple Anti-aliasing, since many of the games look very ' polygon ' - ish, I mean in 3D, I think either 1xAA, or 2xAA could be a nice feature, to enhance graphics, to point of looking better, than Nintendo, and having all the nice looks, one could ever want . .

Again, I am very sorry if I become too political, I just want to have fun, and relax . . I like the atmosphere of Godot conference, and would like to attend . .

I've made a werewolf in 3D, but it's not very good . . And, I have some tutorials on how to make a base mesh in Blender, and make anything, very easily, on youtube . . I like how Godot uses Principled shader, since I'm very bad at materials, and textures, but I really understand the sliders, in Blender, I can make something look ' metal ', and perhaps red, or blue metal, so easy . . I have used Blender for over 2 years, I think, going from 3DS Max back in 2004, where I stopped doing 3D, lost interest . .

I would like to learn Godot, what tutorial do you recommend for making a isometric view 3D game . . I know there are many tutorials, but I would like to learn best methods, so I don't learn to write bad code, and I really like ' visual coding ', where you put in boxes, and connect them, not so good with coding, can I learn Godot . .

Again, sorry if I said something wrong, not my intention . .

Comments

• little-brook79little-brook79 Posts: 6Member

Also, I find the idea of contributing to Godot very fascinating, I'm a former chemistry and bio-technology engineer, but I am now disabled full-time, because of mental problems, after an accident where I had head trauma, and injuries . . So, I have a lot of time, and would a place where I can use my energy constructively . . Since I'm on an early pension, I can work for free, but would like to talk to people about what they think the future of game engines should be, since I've always loved, and would also love to help people make games, that are nice, and cute . .

I have some OCD, and mania, because I've become very isolated, because of my mental problems, I can't work, and I'm not good at making friends, I lost touch with most as I became stranded in psychiatry, to get help . . But, I'm still as smart, as ever, but would like a place to contribute, to something nice, and sweet . . Again, I'm sorry if I said something bad, I'm not sure, I just want a place to contribute, and be a part, of something, and I really like 3D, and good games . . Thx

I would love to help assisting other people's projects, to learn Godot that way, if I can . .

• SIsilicon28SIsilicon28 Posts: 115Member
    edited November 2019

Woah. That's a huge wall of text. Ok let's break it down.

@little-brook79 said:
    Please help, I would like to make free games, and make people happy, if it's possible . .

Of course it's possible! :) It's a game engine. Anyone can learn it if they put the effort into it. Everyone has their own style of learning. For example, I like to look at the code of other games and see how they work on the inside. The Godot asset library features some demos you can take a look at. And if that isn't your style, the Godot docs has almost everything you want to know about the engine typed down for you. And if that isn't your style, may I suggest Kidscancode on YouTube? I hear that they make some excellent tutorials for beginners to follow.

ps. I see Godot engine, and games look Very nice, I really like it, but one feature that would really make it better for me, to make graphics super-nice, is some form of simple Anti-aliasing, since many of the games look very ' polygon ' - ish, I mean in 3D, I think either 1xAA, or 2xAA could be a nice feature, to enhance graphics, to point of looking better, than Nintendo, and having all the nice looks, one could ever want . .

Godot does a actually support anti-aliasing, or at least one implementation of it called MSAA. What it does is that when rendering geometry, it takes multiple samples of triangles along their edges, which gives the edges of meshes a smoother look. But it can't handle aliasing caused by shader functions, such as specular aliasing. Godot supports 2x, 4x, 8x and 16x MSAA, the number representing the number of samples used in each edge fragment, but a greater performance hit.

and I really like ' visual coding ', where you put in boxes, and connect them, not so good with coding, can I learn Godot . .

Lucky for you, Godot supports visual scripting. I personally don't use so often since I've been coding with text far longer, but for a beginner, it should be alright.

Again, sorry if I said something wrong, not my intention . .

You didn't say anything wrong. You're cool. :)