Can we import meshes and their animations separatly to reuse on multiple characters?

gogo199432gogo199432 Posts: 3Member

As the title says, I want to be able to import my character meshes and their animations separately like in Unity. This way I can both reuse the animation on multiple characters, and it also makes it easier to change the animations later on. Is this possible in Godot, or if not, are there plans to support it?

Best Answer

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 1,721
    Accepted Answer

From my experience, animations and meshes are linked together in Godot with no way to separate them. This means that, unfortunately, every animation you want to use for a character has to be imported with the mesh file.
    I wish there was a way to separate animations from the 3D meshes for reuse, but to the best of my knowledge this is currently not possible. I have no idea if there are plans to support importing animations separately, but if there is not then it might be a good proposal for the Godot proposal GitHub repository.

Answers

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 1,671Admin

I haven't invested much time into importing characters yet,so not sure about that. But I can tell that your message was captured by the moderation queue and your account is still unconfirmed so you might want to check your email(and spam folder perhaps) for the confirmation email.

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 1,721Admin
    Accepted Answer

From my experience, animations and meshes are linked together in Godot with no way to separate them. This means that, unfortunately, every animation you want to use for a character has to be imported with the mesh file.
    I wish there was a way to separate animations from the 3D meshes for reuse, but to the best of my knowledge this is currently not possible. I have no idea if there are plans to support importing animations separately, but if there is not then it might be a good proposal for the Godot proposal GitHub repository.

• gogo199432gogo199432 Posts: 3Member

As suggested I created a proposal over here:
    https://github.com/godotengine/godot-proposals/issues/188

Please show support for it if interested.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file