Can I use vector graphic in godot to automatically scale according to the resolution of the device?

Anderoo99Anderoo99 Posts: 74Member

I am making an android game for the first time in godot. Can I use .svg? and does it scale automatically according to the resolution? If yes, is there an easy to understand tutorial or documentation that I can refer to?

Thanks in advance =) and sorry if the question is stupid :'(

Tags :

Best Answer

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 1,721
    Accepted Answer

Reduz mentioned there is nothing that should stop SVG files from being converted into Mesh2D nodes, but no one has worked on it yet.

Last I knew, SVG files in Godot are converted/rasterized when imported into a Godot project. I do not think there is any way to resize them when the game is running, as I believe the SVG to rasterized image process happens in the Godot editor.

I have not personally used SVG files in Godot myself, but this video by Pigdev covers some tips on using Vector Art (SVG) in Godot, which might be helpful:

(Also, no reason to apologize! It is not a stupid question. You cannot know what you don't know :smile:)

Answers

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 1,721Admin
    Accepted Answer

Reduz mentioned there is nothing that should stop SVG files from being converted into Mesh2D nodes, but no one has worked on it yet.

Last I knew, SVG files in Godot are converted/rasterized when imported into a Godot project. I do not think there is any way to resize them when the game is running, as I believe the SVG to rasterized image process happens in the Godot editor.

I have not personally used SVG files in Godot myself, but this video by Pigdev covers some tips on using Vector Art (SVG) in Godot, which might be helpful:

(Also, no reason to apologize! It is not a stupid question. You cannot know what you don't know :smile:)

• Anderoo99Anderoo99 Posts: 74Member

@TwistedTwigleg said:

Hey thanks. I found that video very useful.
    Also I have set my resolution to 720p. The only thing I'm afraid of is that it won't scale to 1080p or higher resolutions. Should I set it to 1080p or is 720p good enough for Android?

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 1,721Admin
    edited October 24

@Anderoo99 said:

@TwistedTwigleg said:

Hey thanks. I found that video very useful.
    Also I have set my resolution to 720p. The only thing I'm afraid of is that it won't scale to 1080p or higher resolutions. Should I set it to 1080p or is 720p good enough for Android?

I do not know, I have only done a little bit of Android development (and a tad more iOS development).
    I would say that 720p is probably good enough for most devices, especially if you are targeting phones, which have small screens. If you are targeting tablets and/or larger devices, then I might consider 1080p just to be on the safe side.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file