image not uploading !

urieluriel Posts: 59Member
edited October 2019 in Forum Chat

hi, guys, i am wondering why i cant upload any images in the forum... i had done this before and it was no problem.
i dont see any reason why it says "error server [0]" .. i tried again a couple of time, without success
thx

Comments

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 1,835Admin

The add images button work just fine for me, and is the preferred way of adding images(uploads to imgur).

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 1,943Admin
    edited October 2019

Hmm, maybe something got messed up when I was poking around and trying to find a solution to the categories issue... I’ll look into the issue.

Edit:

Seems the add image option is not available. If I had to guess, this is probably related to the file upload issue, or maybe because I didn't add .png and stuff to the file uploads it now doesn't work. I guess I'll need to continue to investigate.

• urieluriel Posts: 59Member
    edited October 2019

i tried again today, and it seems to be fixed for me... thx
    also, one error that was occuring is the bad file format, i was first surprised but i discovered that some web browser´s shields are making this error, in particular Brave ! thats normally doesnt affect image upload on forums.

Edit: i did upload a png and it works fine ;)

Great! I'm glad it is working.

From what I can tell, it seems to be tied to the issues we are having with file uploads. It used to be that anyone could upload to any topic, but for some reason now we have to specially mark which categories can have uploads, rather than marking the topics we do not want to have uploads. Thankfully the users on the Vanilla forums are helping us look into it, so hopefully we'll be able to find a solution soon.

• siskasiska Posts: 36Member

I just had the same problem in the 'gui' category.
    "error server [0]" and "wrong format" (jpg and png) ...

@siska said:
    I just had the same problem in the 'gui' category.
    "error server [0]" and "wrong format" (jpg and png) ...

Were you uploaded images through the image button in the text editor or the “Add Images” button?

If you were using the text editor: Does the “Add Images” button work?

I’ll look and see if I can figure out what is happening. Probably a setting needs adjusting. Thanks for letting us know about the issue!

Well, the Allow file uploads is enabled on the category and the custom permissions is enabled as well. What was the image format?

I tried png and jpg (about 400x200 px)

@TwistedTwigleg : no problem ! :)
    I tried both the big blue button 'add images' and the little dropdown button above the text area (I tried dragging as well as 'opening')

Might you have any plugins installed that might stop js from running? Or perhaps JS disabled altogether?

I looked around at the settings for the category and for the member's role in Vanilla, and file uploads should be allowed. I remember previously we had issues with uploading files because Vanilla didn't know what file types were allowed, but if I remember correctly I fixed the issue by uploading a list (which I know includes both png and jpg files).

edited January 18

Mmm ... saw someone mention 'Brave' and so I checked some other browsers.
    It's a Brave problem.
    But why/how would it prevent image uploading ? I haven't turned off javascript, and I haven't activated any extensions ...

EDIT : Googled a bit and saw someone mention Brave Shields.
    Turns out that image upload requires cross-site cookies (not 'cross-site trackers' !). So, Brave users can leave Shields on, but they have to 'allow all cookies' on godotforums.org

EDIT 2 : there is still a problem when you write a NEW post and use the 'attach image' button in the menu (the big blue button works fine). The menu button does not work at all, even if I completely turn off Brave Shields. Maybe that setting is still wrong ?

Interesting. Thanks for testing and helping to deduce what is going on!

I’ll look and see if there is a new post setting that needs adjusting.

Happy to be able to help a little bit. =)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file