What's about Vulkan ?

urieluriel Posts: 59Member

hi, guys, i wanted to open this discussion, first because of the shift that would make the Vulkan integration into Godot (i am very excited). Second, because that would also change some of our way of working, accessing to new properties and API classes. I am very curious to discuss the plan, the dates and the specs.
Bye

uriel

Tags :

Comments

• amisner2kamisner2k Posts: 10Member

Hi Uriel, have you seen this series? https://godotengine.org/article/vulkan-progress-report-1

It's a good read and hopefully should give you some insight into the progress and plan of how it'll be going forward. After that, I would just Google "Godot Vulkan" and check out the results.

My limited understanding at the moment is that the plan is to not break compatibility too much...basically Vulkan will be mostly under-the-hood and the current API that we engine users would touch wouldn't have to change much.

Hope this helps.

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 1,721Admin

@amisner2k summarizes most of what I know about the Godot 4.0. Last I knew the idea was that Godot 4.0 was going to have a fair amount of changes within the engine, but not too much different for end users.

The transition to Godot 3.0 to Godot 4.0 is supposed to be smoother and less jarring than the transition from Godot 2.0 to Godot 3.0. There is a proposal to rename some of the nodes for better consistency, but the old names will be deprecated for awhile so everyone has time to transition.

If you look at GitHub, under the 4.0 milestone, you can get a rough idea of what changes might be coming with Godot 4.0. Juan/Reduz posts development posts on his Twitter occasionally, which is one way I keep in touch with the big changes happening with Godot.

Right now though, most of the focus for Godot 4.0 is on the Vulkan integration. The changes to the core engine should bring some nice performance improvements, especially on the 3D side. I remember reading that the 2D side of the Vulkan implementation is mostly finished, and from what I have seen the 3D side is making good progress.
    Outside of the Vulkan implementation, it is hard to say at this point what will be included in Godot 4.0 or not. I could speculate, but honestly I have not kept up enough with the changes to make more than guesses.

@uriel said:
    ... I am very curious to discuss the plan, the dates and the specs.

Most of Godot's development is being spearheaded by Reduz, who is not very active on these forums. He probably knows the most about where Godot is going and other development related specifics. As far as a release date, I do not think there is any date set for the release of Godot 4.0 just yet.

If you are curious on the more low-level stuff, I think most of the engine development related talk happens on the engine development IRC. You can find a list of all of the Godot community sites, including the IRCs channels, on the Godot documentation.

• amisner2kamisner2k Posts: 10Member

@uriel you liked @TwistedTwigleg 's reply but not mine.

I see how it is... ;)

• urieluriel Posts: 59Member

for those who have some knowledge (i dont have), is vulkan can be compared to EEvee (blender) with similar specs ?
    yes, > @amisner2k , i like your comment also... i was just in search of interested people to discuss the topic and look at the possible future features... ;)

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 1,671Admin
    edited September 24

Blenders eevee is OpenGL 3.3, Vulkan in comparison is very cutting edge. I don't expect Vk build to introduce too much new in it's first iteration though, it might lift some limitations.

edit: To be a bit more precise, eevee is a realtime viewport rendering engine, OpenGL and Vulkan are API's for accessing and programming the graphics hardware.

• urieluriel Posts: 59Member

@Megalomaniak said:
    Blenders eevee is OpenGL 3.3, Vulkan in comparison is very cutting edge. I don't expect Vk build to introduce too much new in it's first iteration though, it might lift some limitations.

edit: To be a bit more precise, eevee is a realtime viewport rendering engine, OpenGL and Vulkan are API's for accessing and programming the graphics hardware.

ok, thanks... but i suppose Vulkan would be more efficient than oGL... resources speaking. anyway, i am curious to test this... by the way, what kind of hardware can support vulkan today ? no one ... not mine for sure

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 1,721Admin

I remember there was something like the Steam hardware report for Vulkan support, but now I can't find it. There is the Vulkan Hardware Database, which might help give an idea of devices that support Vulkan.

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 1,671Admin
    edited September 25

@uriel said:
    ok, thanks... but i suppose Vulkan would be more efficient than oGL... resources speaking. anyway, i am curious to test this... by the way, what kind of hardware can support vulkan today ? no one ... not mine for sure

Well, the latest version of GL(4.6) can also achieve quite a bit towards eliminating low level overhead, but Vk is certainly the best solution for that.

@TwistedTwigleg said:
    I remember there was something like the Steam hardware report for Vulkan support, but now I can't find it.

it's listed among these:
    https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/directx/