Dungeoneer - Turn Based RPG
I'm going to try to get back into coding, I think I'll find myself with quite a bit of free time soon. I've been working on this project for quite a few months now, on and off. I hope to finish it one day, but I understand it is quite ambitious for a second game and first solo game.
I'm planning on this being a 1-6 player game that is turn based and includes D&D-esque mechanics. At one point this really was just scripted D&D, but I think it evolved to be quite a bit more than that over time. I've already made it so more than one person can load in using LogMeIn Hamachi, but a lot is left to be desired by the servers.
Very minimal tile and sprite work, some server work, two enemies, player movement, and some UI. That's about it. It needs a lot of polish, and one day I hope to get it looking all pretty. That day is not today, tomorrow, or probably anytime in the next few years as a solo project. I'm posting this up mostly to try to help encourage myself and garner an audience or support from the community. I don't suspect this will be completed anytime within the next three years, unless my new schedule really allows me to soar.
1: First Commit of Project Since Departure from Git Kraken, might go back to Git eventually.
1.1: Add additional commenting, handle turns properly.
1.2: Work on attacking, properly solve for finding enemies and players. Need to work this back to just
enemies. Consider an array of found bodies, then sort through to find the enemies.
1.3: Added new sprites, did little else.
1.4: Properly handle an attack against the enemy, then proceed to break everything in order to get the
view port to work right. That still hasn't been solved.
1.5: Fixed the view port issues, ended up with a issue relating to the engine. Going to attempt to fix it by
upgrading to the most recent engine version.
1.6: Updated to the newest version, and that didn't help fix the rendering errors. Message to send to the
group: I seem to be having an issue where my pixels duplicate in my tileset, which I believe has to do with
12828, which fixed a similar problem. At varying points, my pixels will shift and make it look like my tiles
have extra pixels they previously didn't have.
1.7: The pixel distortion was due to not having a proper resolution. That fixed, I'm working on rebranding and
changing the look of the game. Started in 1.7, but will have to continue into 1.8 or later. Art would be nice,
but for now I'll just style the buttons.
1.8: Styled the buttons on more screens, and accidentally removed the player menu, which honestly needed to be
reworked anyway. Need to work on better menus that match more with the style anyway. Just take the previous
version's code, and you should be fine.
1.9: Reworked the GUI to be popups only, triggered by keypress. This feels more streamlined, and also makes it
so the game can take up the whole screen. More to do on this later.
2.0: Worked on sprite and tile work. Changed the color palette to be more desert in feel. Added several tile
variants to add more depth to the environment.
2.1: Found bugs galore, but little else. Tried to fix some of them, don't really have the time to dive in
right now. Turn order in 2.1 is no longer working properly. Attacking is no longer working properly. By
changing to this new movement system, I've added a lot of new work for me to do.
2.2: I've solved both the issues outlined in 2.1, filling me with DETERMINATION. I have to decide what to work
on next, if I am to continue work on this today.
2.3: Started the work on the first advanced enemy AI, movement is the current keynote. Eventually, they'll
need to attack and whatnot as well.
2.4: Got the movement of the enemy mostly down, I just need to make sure he doesn't pursue directly into the
player. Once that happens, I can have him switch to attack mode.
2.5: Apparently the movement was broken in multiplayer. That was because of an unforseen save error I made,
which was making him pursue the previous location of the player. Fixed that, making everything save right. The
issue was caused by only saving the server's player, not both players. Which reminds me, I've only really
tested two player. Hopefully this translates well into three player and more, I'll have to test that sooner
Yup, I made one awhile ago, I'm hoping to be more active in it for days to come:
Yeah, those I've got. Hopefully at some point I'll have something to show more than these, I'll try to update as can.