Dungeoneer - Turn Based RPG

persondashmanpersondashman Posts: 11Member
edited November 22 in Projects

I'm going to try to get back into coding, I think I'll find myself with quite a bit of free time soon. I've been working on this project for quite a few months now, on and off. I hope to finish it one day, but I understand it is quite ambitious for a second game and first solo game.

The Basics
I'm planning on this being a 1-6 player game that is turn based and includes D&D-esque mechanics. At one point this really was just scripted D&D, but I think it evolved to be quite a bit more than that over time. I've already made it so more than one person can load in using LogMeIn Hamachi, but a lot is left to be desired by the servers.

What's Done?
Very minimal tile and sprite work, some server work, two enemies, player movement, and some UI. That's about it. It needs a lot of polish, and one day I hope to get it looking all pretty. That day is not today, tomorrow, or probably anytime in the next few years as a solo project. I'm posting this up mostly to try to help encourage myself and garner an audience or support from the community. I don't suspect this will be completed anytime within the next three years, unless my new schedule really allows me to soar.

Change-log?
1: First Commit of Project Since Departure from Git Kraken, might go back to Git eventually.
1.1: Add additional commenting, handle turns properly.
1.2: Work on attacking, properly solve for finding enemies and players. Need to work this back to just

enemies. Consider an array of found bodies, then sort through to find the enemies.
1.3: Added new sprites, did little else.
1.4: Properly handle an attack against the enemy, then proceed to break everything in order to get the

view port to work right. That still hasn't been solved.
1.5: Fixed the view port issues, ended up with a issue relating to the engine. Going to attempt to fix it by

upgrading to the most recent engine version.
1.6: Updated to the newest version, and that didn't help fix the rendering errors. Message to send to the

group: I seem to be having an issue where my pixels duplicate in my tileset, which I believe has to do with

12828, which fixed a similar problem. At varying points, my pixels will shift and make it look like my tiles

have extra pixels they previously didn't have.
1.7: The pixel distortion was due to not having a proper resolution. That fixed, I'm working on rebranding and

changing the look of the game. Started in 1.7, but will have to continue into 1.8 or later. Art would be nice,

but for now I'll just style the buttons.
1.8: Styled the buttons on more screens, and accidentally removed the player menu, which honestly needed to be

reworked anyway. Need to work on better menus that match more with the style anyway. Just take the previous

version's code, and you should be fine.
1.9: Reworked the GUI to be popups only, triggered by keypress. This feels more streamlined, and also makes it

so the game can take up the whole screen. More to do on this later.
2.0: Worked on sprite and tile work. Changed the color palette to be more desert in feel. Added several tile

variants to add more depth to the environment.
2.1: Found bugs galore, but little else. Tried to fix some of them, don't really have the time to dive in

right now. Turn order in 2.1 is no longer working properly. Attacking is no longer working properly. By

changing to this new movement system, I've added a lot of new work for me to do.
2.2: I've solved both the issues outlined in 2.1, filling me with DETERMINATION. I have to decide what to work

on next, if I am to continue work on this today.
2.3: Started the work on the first advanced enemy AI, movement is the current keynote. Eventually, they'll

need to attack and whatnot as well.
2.4: Got the movement of the enemy mostly down, I just need to make sure he doesn't pursue directly into the

player. Once that happens, I can have him switch to attack mode.
2.5: Apparently the movement was broken in multiplayer. That was because of an unforseen save error I made,

which was making him pursue the previous location of the player. Fixed that, making everything save right. The

issue was caused by only saving the server's player, not both players. Which reminds me, I've only really

tested two player. Hopefully this translates well into three player and more, I'll have to test that sooner

than later.

Discord?
Yup, I made one awhile ago, I'm hoping to be more active in it for days to come:
https://discord.gg/tswmEFv

Screenshots!?
Yeah, those I've got. Hopefully at some point I'll have something to show more than these, I'll try to update as can.

Tags :

Comments

• HippoHippo Posts: 51Member

Best of luck with this project! Sounds like you're going after something pretty ambitious so I'm looking forward to following your progress. What are your plans for a combat system? Do you have an overarching plotfor the game in mind, or is it going to be more of a sandbox feeling where you explore and complete different quests along the way?

• persondashmanpersondashman Posts: 11Member

The combat system is going to be similar to DnD in that you'll have a variety of actions you can do with your turn. You can choose to run if you can outpace the enemy, but if you can't, you'll have to switch to fight mode and use a variety of skills. (I already have some skills I want fleshed out, I'm aiming to do a tree of skills that you can spec into.) The synergy between your party will tend to be the key. So the whole combat system will take place in the overworld and attacks will be tile-radius based.

I'm aiming to have an overarching plot, but being that Godot is easily learnable, I might also include the ability to have custom campaigns in which you can use your same created characters.

I took a bit of a hiatus for personal stuff, hopefully I don't have too many more of those. Fixed a major save error today, which solved the issues I couldn't figure out with my first AI of the game, the pursue AI. Also added my devlog to the first post shortly after writing this.

• PickledtezcatPickledtezcat Posts: 5Member

It looks cool. Almost Roguelike...
    If you decide to include any procedural generation elements, there are some quite good resource on the web. My own passion is for roguelike games so I've done lots or research and testing in the past. I'm new on this forum, but I've been making games for quite a while, if you have any difficulties, maybe I can lend some advice.

@Pickledtezcat said:
    It looks cool. Almost Roguelike...
    If you decide to include any procedural generation elements, there are some quite good resource on the web. My own passion is for roguelike games so I've done lots or research and testing in the past. I'm new on this forum, but I've been making games for quite a while, if you have any difficulties, maybe I can lend some advice.

I'm now thinking a lot about how procedural generation may play in, thanks to you! Gave me a lot of interesting ideas.

Been working on procedural generation a bit, and how the landscape in the game could be formed. This is my attempt so far.

• PickledtezcatPickledtezcat Posts: 5Member

Cool. What kind of algorithm did you use for the landscape generation?
    You can get some great effects by mixing different algorithms together.

@Pickledtezcat said:
    Cool. What kind of algorithm did you use for the landscape generation?
    You can get some great effects by mixing different algorithms together.

I used something kinda similar to a flood fill algorithm, but I'm kind of making it my own code as I go. Right now it actually creates a pseudo 3-D height map as well.