Pixelorama - Your Free & Open Source Sprite Editor

OverloadedOverloaded Posts: 10Member
edited December 12 in Projects

I've only been using Godot for a some months now, and it never fails to impress me on how easy to use it is, yet so powerful. I started making my own sprite editor called Pixelorama entirely within Godot, using GDScript. And today I'd like to share it with you!

Pixelorama is a free & open-source sprite editor, available on itch.io as a Windows and Linux stand-alone executable, and its source code is available on GitHub! v0.5 currently supports things like:

• Choosing between 6 tools – pencil, eraser, fill bucket, lighten/darken, color picker and rectangle select – and mapping them to both of your left and right mouse buttons.
  • Different colors and brush sizes for each of the mouse buttons.
  • Support of two types of custom brushes: "From files" and "per project" brushes. Custom brushes from files get loaded from the "Brushes" folder that comes with Pixelorama, and per project brushes get saved with the rectangle select tool.
  • Creating a new canvas with a size of your choosing.
  • Are you an animator? Then you've come to the right place! Pixelorama has its own Animation Timeline just for you!​
  • Importing PNG and JPEG images, and edit them inside Pixelorama. If you import multiple files, they will be added as individual animation frames.
  • Export your gorgeous art in PNG format.
  • Save snd open your projects as Pixelorama's custom file format, .pxo
  • Undo/Redo support!
  • Horizontal & vertical mirrored drawing!
  • Tile Mode for pattern creation!
  • Split screen mode to see your masterpiece twice! And a mini canvas preview area to see it thrice!
  • Create straight lines for pencil and eraser by holding down Shift while you draw.
  • The middle mouse wheel isn’t forgotten, you can use it to pan around the canvas and by scrolling up and down, you can zoom in and out!
  • Keyboard shortcuts! I’m pretty sure this is a lifesaver for most of you.
  • Just like onions, Pixelorama has a multiple layer system! You can add, remove, move up and down, clone and merge as many layers as you like!
  • Rulers and guides!
  • Scale, crop and flip your images!
  • Greek localization support!

Showcase video:

If you like Pixelorama's potential, you can consider donating via PayPal or Ko-Fi, both can be found on our website as well as the GitHub repository. All donors will have a special role in our Discord server! Or, if you don't want to provide financial help, you can contribute to Pixelorama's source code on its GitHub repository and, of course, spread the word!

Thank you very much for your attention, and happy painting! For more details on the project, please check out our website and the blog posts!: https://www.orama-interactive.com/pixelorama
And make sure to join our Discord community server where we talk about Pixelorama, as well as the rest of our projects: https://discord.gg/GTMtr8s

Itch.io page (for the Windows stand-alone): https://orama-interactive.itch.io/pixelorama
GitHub repository: https://github.com/Orama-Interactive/Pixelorama

Tags :

Comments

• flurickflurick Posts: 18Member

I might have gone a bit a bit crazy on a github fork..

• bassebasse Posts: 20Member

are you going to make it part of godot? so you could just do "add sprite" and edit it straight in Godot? or do little touchups for already imported assets? or.. is this just external editor?

.b

• OverloadedOverloaded Posts: 10Member

@basse said:
    are you going to make it part of godot? so you could just do "add sprite" and edit it straight in Godot? or do little touchups for already imported assets? or.. is this just external editor?

.b

It will stay as an external editor for now, until I am done with adding all (or at least most) of the features I have in mind. After that I will experiment in making it a Godot plugin!

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 1,671Admin

And have you looked at @flurick 's fork on github? I didn't check to see what was added, but might be something interesting. I did however notice that no pull request was made, last I checked at least.

@Megalomaniak said:
    And have you looked at @flurick 's fork on github? I didn't check to see what was added, but might be something interesting. I did however notice that no pull request was made, last I checked at least.

Yes I have! I even used flurick's technique for drawing the grid, since my way was causing performance issues. I gave credits as well.

edited October 22

After a long wait, Pixelorama v0.3 is out! The new version includes:

• New animation timeline features: Ping-pong loop, and… onion skinning! You can choose how many steps in the past and future you want to look, and you can toggle Blue/Red mode! There is also an option to import new frames without deleting the others.
    • New custom project file, .pxo! If you save your art as .pxo, all the hot data you need like layers, frames and color pallets get saved..
    • New rectangle selection tool. Make selection, drag selection, hold Shift while dragging to drag the selection’s contents, copy/paste selection, you can only draw INSIDE selection, selection persists between layers and frames, use selection to select (duh) pixels from canvas and save them as…
    • …Custom Brushes! The gentle laborer shall no longer be forced to use the pixel brush! You can resize ’em, re-color ’em, map ’em to your mouse buttons. And yes, custom brushes get saved in .pxo files.
    • Do you ever make tiles and want to see if they are seamless? Pixelorama’s got you covered with its new Tile Mode!
    • Do you ever wish to see your art from different zoom levels at the same time? Pixelorama’s got you covered with its new Split Screen View!
    • Do you ever wish to crop your sprites? Pixelorama can now crop sprites.
    • Re-organized the menus and added an “About” window where you can find more info about Pixelorama.

Showcase video:

Feel free to visit my blog for more info on: https://functionoverload590613498.wordpress.com/2019/10/22/pixelorama-v0-3-is-out/

• KnowNothingKnowNothing Posts: 3Member

Amazing

@KnowNothing said:
    Amazing

Thank you!
    For those who are wondering, I'm still working on the project, and v0.4 should be released very soon!

edited November 13

I just released Pixelorama v0.4! It comes with:

• Undo/Redo, at last! For all the mistakes happy accidents!
    • Mirrored drawing both horizontally & vertically.
    • Lighten/Darken tool for shading!
    • Tool that lets you paint all pixels of the same color, with another color!
    • Importing custom brushes from a “Brushes” folder!
    • You can now re-name your layers!
    • Flip your sprite horizontally or vertically! (Thank you danielnaoexiste from GitHub!)
    • You can now remove custom “project” brushes.
    • Notification labels that appear when you do an action. For example, if you undo something you drew, a label will appear saying “Undo: Draw”. This one was a last minute addition!

My team, Orama Interactive, has started preparing a new website for all of our projects, including Pixelorama! The website is nearing completion, but we still need to pay for Wix’s services. If you’re interested in Pixelorama and our future projects and would like to see a beautiful home for them, please consider donating on PayPal and Ko-Fi! Thanks for your time and as always, happy painting!

Showcase video:

Read more on: https://functionoverload590613498.wordpress.com/2019/11/13/pixelorama-v0-4-is-out/

As always, it's available for free on GitHub and Itch.io!

• SparrowSparrow Posts: 50Member

Hello mate
    Downloading tonight, happy to give feedback and test for you.

@Sparrow said:
    Hello mate
    Downloading tonight, happy to give feedback and test for you.

Thank you! Feedback is always appreciated :D

Pixelorama v0.5 has been released! Now available on Linux too! It comes with:

• New and more practical UI
    • Options for each tool
    • New color picker tool
    • Rulers and guides
    • Mini canvas preview area
    • Preferences window
    • Greek localization

My team, Orama Interactive, has created a new website for all of our projects, including Pixelorama! We also have created a new Discord server for all of our projects, so if you're interested in creating an amazing community around Pixelorama, you should definitely join! Invite link: https://discord.gg/GTMtr8s

We are hosting a community event in our Discord server right now, where we call all artists to draw trees to promote the #TeamTrees fundraiser! The rules are simple, draw a tree or anything tree-related, post it in our Discord server, and after the 25th of December, we will start uploading your art in our social media (you will be credited, of course)! If you use Pixelorama and record your drawing process in video format, we will create a compilation of all of your Pixelorama artworks, and post it in our YouTube channel! Learn more here: https://www.orama-interactive.com/post/orama-interactive-joins-teamtrees

Showcase video:

Read more on: https://www.orama-interactive.com/post/pixelorama-v0-5-is-out

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 97Member

That is really cool.

@cybereality said:
    That is really cool.

Thank you very much! =)