Right engine for me?

KalinKalin Posts: 3Member

I want to make 2D, single player, turn-based games for Windows or browser. Is Godot a good engine for this?

My ideas mix elements of CCG, RPG, TBS, and puzzle games. But when I look at free game engines, all the example games are platformers, 3D, or other action genres. Why are there no tutorials for making match-3 or solitaire games?

Also, I tried installing the download version. Is it really just one file? And how do I stop Windows 10 from asking if I'm sure I want to install this app every time I launch it?

Tags :

Comments

• KequcKequc Posts: 40Member

Godot might have a bit of a steeper learning curve than some game engines you've looked at. It's meant to be used for whatever you want to build. I find it a lot easier to use than Unity, personally, and it has 2D nodes out of the box.

It really is just one file, you don't need to install it. Can't really answer your Windows question.

• emo10001emo10001 Posts: 136Member
    edited August 2

Hey @Kalin . I would first look at your User Account Control Settings in control panel. If you go to the search icon (magnifying glass) in the bottom left corner, type in "User Account Control Settings", it should come up. Click it and you'll see this window.

I always move the slider on the left, down to "Never Notify" (Ignore the fact that Microsoft say's its not recommended). That should take care of that. If not...then I'm not sure :)

-emo

Is there a way to do the above on a per app basis? That seems a little reckless as it opens you up to software installing software on your computer.

I don't think Windows should be asking you more than once per application... @Kalin are you downloading a new copy of Godot whenever you launch?

• KalinKalin Posts: 3Member

I don't think Windows should be asking you more than once per application... @Kalin are you downloading a new copy of Godot whenever you launch?

Not intentionally. I'm clicking on "Godot_v3.1.1-stable_win64.exe". I get the same warning whether the file is in Program Files or My Documents.

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 1,709Admin

I don't think I've ever had Godot ask to made modifications, or if I did it only showed up once, but I'm wondering if it is because I'm on an Admin Windows account.

I did some research, and from what I can gather it appears that by default Windows 10 does not allow removing notifications on a single application, which I find rather odd. Maybe I missed something though.
    I did find an article on LifeHacker that shows some steps you can take to make a shortcut that will automatically skip the prompt asking for permissions for whatever application is selected, though it looks a little tedious.

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 1,665Admin
    edited August 3

Whenever you download a zip file in windows, if you trust the source you got it form, after downloading - right click, go to properties and press the unblock button. After doing so once you unpack the files within are all unblocked.

edit: typo.

• CalinouCalinou Posts: 300Admin Godot Developer
    edited August 4

@emo10001 said:
    Hey @Kalin . I would first look at your User Account Control Settings in control panel. If you go to the search icon (magnifying glass) in the bottom left corner, type in "User Account Control Settings", it should come up. Click it and you'll see this window.

[snip]

I always move the slider on the left, down to "Never Notify" (Ignore the fact that Microsoft say's its not recommended). That should take care of that. If not...then I'm not sure :)

-emo

Godot never requests elevated privileges, so this won't solve the issue reported by @Kalin. They should follow @Magelomaniak's advice instead :)

• KalinKalin Posts: 3Member

@Magelomaniak
    Thank you! I got rid of the .zip already, but since this is just a single file, I was able to Unblock it and now the warning is gone.

Hopefully this first experience didn't taint your opinion of the engine, it's really a marvel. Let us know how it goes, post more times.