Progress Game - 2D Idle RPG
im currently working on a 2D Idle RPG. My goal is to have as many meaningful progress systems as possible, offering the satisfaction of progress in every aspect while having engaging and fun gameplay.
I am working on this project since April 2019. Its my first game in Godot. So im using it to inch evercloser to my vision and learn Godot and other things on the way. Improving the game and myself.
The focus is on the management aspect of incremental games, trying to implement many parts of rpgs that make them feel very satisfying (coming closest to WAMI - Wizard and minion Idle)
I now have a small playable demo with not much content, just to get an idea of what i want to make. The UI is not final, most of the things are closest to prototype stage. But you can still give me feedback on those points if you have ideas for improvements and such.
Please give me your feedback, suggestions, ideas or passionate discussions. Its all really valuable to me!
- You can kill monsters, get equipment,
- equip the items, notice a difference in strength.
- The character can level up
- you can put points in to the stats
- pick different worlds on the map with different monsters and loottables.
- you can drag skills onto the skill-bar and use them that way
Note: in the demo your character is a "Gold Hoarder" (more classes to follow) that utilises the gold the player has to deal damage, buff etc. He has an inherent trait that gives him bonus damage depending on the amount of gold he holds.
As this game is centered around progress and the rpg feeling i can try to add more progress systems over time, while i flesh out and improve existing systems with the knowledge i gather.
My main motivation is that (IMO) many games nowadays are often good games in themselves but often lack in the progress aspects, either the systems are lackluster and dont offer anything to the gameplay or the progression-system lacks in depths and doesnt utilize its full potential. Or the game just doesnt have enogh progress systems. So it gets boring after a bit (being a good game but offering too few progress elements... im looking at you "Soda Dungeon").
I passionately enjoy those kinds of mechanics when they are done right and create a want and feeling of "i want to progress".
Games like the old world of warcraft IMO understood how to make games interesting for a longer time:
- set benchmarks for players (this monster is strong, i cant defeat it yet)
- having a fun main gameplay loop
- everything you do (besides afk) lets you progress/become stronger
- Gold is relevant, because you can use it to become stronger (and have the need/want for that)
and many more, but for me the progress part being the central one
Please try it out and tell me what you think. The current versions are still more like playable prototypes than representative of the end-product. Im learning as i go, so some aspects can change in a profound way.
- The player will always have one or multiple goals in front of them, that they want to achieve.
- the player will progress (get stronger) by any activity
- The player can play actively or passively like an idle game
- Every aspect of the game has to be fun and if it gets monotonous, automate it
- 100% free (no way to use real money in the game, as it destroys the feeling of progress)
- no artificial time-gating (wait for X to finish)
- make the gameplay intuitive and easily understandeable
- The things you find will always be relevant (ressources, gold etc.)
Current Features implemented:
- Health System
- Experience System
- 6 Worlds (with unique monsters)
- Weapon-Masteries (Train these masteries by using a weapon-type and profit from the gained mastery-levels even if you dont use those weapons)
- enhance your items
- Monster-Titles (gain bonuses for killing monsters a certain amount of time, monster-specific and small global bonuses)
Some progress systems planned (not ordered by priority):
- Weapon-leveling (weapons get stronger)
- skill-mastery (skills get stronger over time, also get new effects)
- Base/Camp to build and upgrade buildings that boost the player and give ressources and such
- Add some minigames (that are optional, completely idle is still possible)
Edits: Improve formulations, grammar and layout
Edit2: Added current version to top-post!