When did this Godot Forum created?

Kramchay DigKramchay Dig Posts: 13Member
edited June 2019 in Forum Chat

This forum looks new like it suddenly came out of nowhere this year. I don't know who I want to ask since it's hard when I have no friends yet and I shy away to the people in the community so I'll ask a question publicly.

Answers

• KequcKequc Posts: 138Member
    edited June 2019

It opened a few months after I started using Godot which is great since I'm not one for most of the social networks. I know this is a bit of a funny answer instead of a real one.

• TwistedTwiglegTwistedTwigleg Posts: 3,093Admin

The oldest data I could find on the forum is March 2016, so at least 3 years :smile:
    It might actually be older though, but that is the oldest date we have on record that I could find.

Part of the reason why the forums might seem so new is because we recently moved hosts, made a new theme, and updated the version of Vanilla the forum is using.

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 2,895Admin
    edited June 2019

So originally this forum was part of the godot engine website back when they used openproject for the basis, but openproject was extremely resource heavy and thus slow which led to the decision to move to something else.

They decided to move onto using wordpress which didn't feature a bbs/forum so the forum effectively died at that point, however a backup of the old forum remained and there was enough interest from the user community so that some of them recreated the forum as godotdevelopers.org.

Initially SMF was used, I want to say this might have been around 2015, but while I don't recall why the decision in turn was taken however in 2016 it was moved over to vanilla instead, which we are using now. In 2018 the previous admin/host who was a Uni student was busy with studies for exams and had forgotten to renew the hosting so we scrambled to quickly save it and moved it over to another host again.

Luckily a friend of mine was willing to host it for a while to save it so it wasn't lost, but alas we didn't acquire the domain so this year when the old domain finally expired @TwistedTwigleg acquired a new one and after rapidly developing this new theme for the forum we moved the forum to his hosting and the new domain. Hopefully this will now be a more stable home for the forums and remain so for long while to come.

On that note, the theme is functional but not fully polished yet, I've been too busy to get back to it however the theme is on github and other users are welcome to make pull requests and help out if interested:
    https://github.com/TwistedTwigleg/vanilla-bootstrap/

• amisner2kamisner2k Posts: 10Member

That is very interesting. Thank you for taking the time to share this. Well as for the theme (not sure if this is an issue with the theme or not) but the reaction images that show the avatars of the users who reacted to an article are covered up by the type of reaction they did, which looks a bit odd. If we could make it so that the type-of-reaction-icon only appears when you mouse over it, that should look better. Whatever...just a thought. :)

@amisner2k said:
    That is very interesting. Thank you for taking the time to share this. Well as for the theme (not sure if this is an issue with the theme or not) but the reaction images that show the avatars of the users who reacted to an article are covered up by the type of reaction they did, which looks a bit odd. If we could make it so that the type-of-reaction-icon only appears when you mouse over it, that should look better. Whatever...just a thought. :)

While this is a tad off-topic, the profile pictures being covered by the reactions is part of how YAGA, the plugin we use for reactions, has it setup by default. We could make the profile pictures a little bigger. Then the reaction icon wouldn't totally hide the profile picture. It could look something like this:

I just increased the profile image size to 36 pixels. so it was a little more visible. It could be scaled down to 32 pixels and the profile icons would still be mostly visible.

A minor downside with this is that the profile pictures take a tad more space. I messed around with the CSS for the icons themselves but I wasn't able to easily make them transparent, though I only spent a few minutes so it is quite possible I missed something.

What you do you guys think? It should be a fairly easy change to make, all things considered.

• amisner2kamisner2k Posts: 10Member

@TwistedTwigleg

That works! Making the avatar pictures bigger looks good. Although I'm not seeing the effect currently at the moment. I'm assuming you didn't make the change public yet?

The change was just a temporary CSS change. I’d need to edit the theme CSS so it will be applied across the forums. I’ll make an issue on the theme Github page so it can be added with the next theme update (assuming there are no issues and everyone is okay with it).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file