Can't bake lightmaps

GarromOrcShamanGarromOrcShaman Posts: 214Member

I have no idea why but I can't bake lightmaps. Every attempt, engine just kill itself instead of baking. There are no useful logs, no error messages, no warning, process just end itself. I tried lowering shadow resolution, I can't go under 256 and it crashed anyway. Anyone knows what is problem and how to solve it ?. I'm on linux Ubuntu. Logs contain only one line, it says OpenGL ES 3.0 Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Broadwell GT1

Comments

• Ace_DragonAce_Dragon Posts: 324Member

If you haven't already, try making sure you followed these instructions as closely as possible.
    https://docs.godotengine.org/en/3.1/tutorials/3d/baked_lightmaps.html

Make sure you carefully read every line, as some steps might be easy to miss.

• GarromOrcShamanGarromOrcShaman Posts: 214Member

@Ace_Dragon said:
    If you haven't already, try making sure you followed these instructions as closely as possible.
    https://docs.godotengine.org/en/3.1/tutorials/3d/baked_lightmaps.html

Make sure you carefully read every line, as some steps might be easy to miss.

I unwarped all models within GoDot, I checked all UV maps they all seems to be alright. I enabled "Use in Baked Light". I was not messing with light much. I leave baking at default settings. Someone on discord says I'm simply out of memory. But I have 8Gb ram and dual core 1.9Ghz Cpu. I can create lightmaps in blender, why I wouldn't be possible in godot. I would use lightmaps created in blender but I'm using grid map to create level and I don't want to re-create whole level in blender. I used webpage you linked before, I'm trying to bake light maps for first time and I used webpage as guide. Unfortunately, it says nothing about crashing.

• MegalomaniakMegalomaniak Posts: 2,898Admin

If indeed you are running out of memory, increasing your swap size might help.
    https://opensource.com/article/18/9/swap-space-linux-systems

Be warned though, swap/HDD is slow. You could try using an SSD for swap, but it will negatively affect your SSD's longevity(in case of long-term use).

@Megalomaniak said:
    If indeed you are running out of memory, increasing your swap size might help.
    https://opensource.com/article/18/9/swap-space-linux-systems

Be warned though, swap/HDD is slow. You could try using an SSD for swap, but it will negatively affect your SSD's longevity(in case of long-term use).

I have 8 Gb of real Ram and after this, 32Gb of swap... who the hell have 32 GB of ram on thier system. For love of god, why I need horsepower of NASA server to build goddamn lightmaps. Nothing, just nothing. I get to "plotting meshes 9/9" and then it kills itself. Before I enlarged swap from 4 to 32 I did not even got to plotting meshes, now I get to end of it but why the hell I would need over 32 Gb of ram...

Update : 64 Gb of swap plus 8 Gb of real memory....... I'm out of ideas

Whats your scene/project like? That does seem to be a huge project for it to use that much memory. This seems to be on the same level with AAA games, or alternatively you might be facing a memory leak somehwere.

edited May 2019

@Megalomaniak said:
    Whats your scene/project like? That does seem to be a huge project for it to use that much memory. This seems to be on the same level with AAA games, or alternatively you might be facing a memory leak somehwere.

No, actually it is very small level which just increase my confusion. Level is build using Grid Map (and only grid map is baked). I created secoundary UV and enabled "use in baking" on all tiles before exporting meshlib.

There are about 13 traps under traps node, 17 simple objects under cubes node. LS is loading screen. Only grismap stays static, that is why I want bake only gridmap, other objects are dynamic as they keep moving.

Also, game is very simple. You are ball, your task is to roll around and pick cubes while avoiding being destroyed by traps. When you get all cubes of level, portal will activate and can take you to next level.

Can you try to maybe scale down the AABB domain of the Lightmap(bounds)? Might possibly help.

I never tried lightmapping with gridmaps, but I wonder if the issue really is memory due to a unique texture being created for each tile?

Perhaps dig into the mesh properties and set the texture size to a very low resolution (like 16x16).

@Ace_Dragon said:
    I never tried lightmapping with gridmaps, but I wonder if the issue really is memory due to a unique texture being created for each tile?

Perhaps dig into the mesh properties and set the texture size to a very low resolution (like 16x16).

That does not help....... Damn

The only thing I could advise now is to upload your project to a file-sharing site, file an issue in the Github issue tracker, and link to the project to help the devs. determine if it is a bug.

It might be that the feature has issues with gridmaps because said maps don't seem to work with GI-Probes either.

... Could it be... scale problem ? I created throwaway project, scale 0.2 works but scale 1 crashes engine... Opening github issue

@Ace_Dragon said:
    The only thing I could advise now is to upload your project to a file-sharing site, file an issue in the Github issue tracker, and link to the project to help the devs. determine if it is a bug.

It might be that the feature has issues with gridmaps because said maps don't seem to work with GI-Probes either.

Yeah, I opened issue. I guess solving this problem will continue at : https://github.com/godotengine/godot/issues/29203

• notVin0dKambleeenotVin0dKambleee Posts: 1Unconfirmed Member

I know this is an old issue but I was facing the same problem. Turns out, my problem was I had set capture cell size more than bake cell size which the engine EXPLICITLY tells you not to. So, be sure to check that. Hope it helps

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file